Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe.... arriving soon on Lordship Lane...

Dara @mrsimms

Liquorice fudge ( I bought some in York and cant find it anywhere else and it is so good ) , winter mixtures (hard suckable sweets ), Pink Panther chocolate , coconut tobacco , pear drops, rhubarb and custard , army and navy , the pink and blue bobbley liquorice all sorts .

Celt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Another massive (100+) chain store rocks up in

> ooohhh ssoooo "independent" Lordship Lane.

I think this is a franchise rather than a chain. I'd be interested to hear what the advantages of opening a Mr Simms franchise are, vs starting on your own.

What I'd like to see - alongside all the regular mass-produced stuff - is some PROPER, quality home made bits and pieces... fudge, honeycomb, peanut brittle, turkish delight, nougat, marshmallows. Slabs of nutty chocolate. And dare I say, french style "pate de fruits".

well ,well

Chufa (Cyperus esculentus var. sativus) was one of humanity?s earliest foods, originating in Egypt and spreading throughout southern Europe and the middle east. Chufa is also commonly known as tiger nut or earth almond. It is a sedge that forms clusters of small propagative tubers. The tubers are small, but numerous and they are delicious with a sort of almond/coconut flavor. It is blended into water to create the popular Spanish drink horchata, a sort of nut milk. The tubers are delicious soaked in water and eaten raw, cooked, or ground into flour and used for baking.

Tigernuts have long been recognised for their health benefits as they are high in fibre, proteins, and natural sugars. They have a high content of soluble glucose and oleic acid. Along with a high energy content (starch, fats, sugars and proteins), they are rich in minerals such as phosphorous and potassium and in vitamins E and C. It is believed that they help to prevent heart attacks, thrombosis and cancer especially of the colon. Typically, 100g (0.27 lbs) tigernuts are 386 cal with 7% proteins, 26% fats (oils), 31% starch, 21% glucose. They contain 26% fibre of which 14% is non-soluble and 12% soluble and are naturally sweet.

One ounce, or about 50 chickpea-sized pieces of plain, raw tiger nuts, contains 120 calories, 10 grams of fiber, 9 grams of naturally occurring sugars, tons of vitamins and minerals such as magnesium and iron, and 7 grams of fat, most of which is oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that research shows can help reduce appetite and promote weight loss. For some context, a serving of almonds ? about 23 nuts ? has 163 calories and about a third of the filling fiber of tiger nuts.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a20706671/health-benefits-of-tiger-nuts/

more Health Matters than Olde Sweet Shoppe

Thanks for heads up fishbiscuits .I've googled and see what you mean

Chewing Nuts - Chewy toffee centre covered in a chocolate flavoured coating.

Glucose syrup, full cream sweetened condensed milk (whole milk sugar), chocolate flavoured coating (18%)(sugar, palm oil, whey powder (milk), maize starch, fat reduced cocoa powd4er, emulsifiers: soya lecithin, polyglycerol polyricinoleate), flavouring), sugar, palm oil, salt, emulsifier (mono and di glycerides of fatty acids), flavouring.

Yum

Don't know what they are called, but assorted boiled sweets with strong flavours - clove rock reminded me.

Winter mixture? Old fashioned assortment? Along the lines of those Old English spangles, but not wrapped, and different shapes.

I just googled Old English spangles and found somebody selling them on eBay. Unfortunately they are for a dolls' house :))

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191395486031

There is also a rare vintage packet of Old English spangles for a mere ?45 plus ?4 postage. Unopened, obviously :))

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/283264957818?chn=ps

ETA: The seller can't spell, and these were post decimal (2p) so must have been quite late on.