Calling all parents interested in early years education policy

Tara

Dear forumites,

I work for the Department for Education and we are looking for some parents to attend a workshop to discuss the Government's proposed changes to the early learning goals (which describe the level of progress children should normally have attained by the end of the Early Years Foundation Stage - age 5). We are keen to get the views of a range of parents on the goals - are they clear, do they make sense and are they age appropriate? We are looking for parents whose children are between the ages of 4 and 10.

The workshop will take place on 19th January from 12-2 at the Department for Education (in Westminster). We will provide lunch and refreshments and will pay for any travel costs incurred.

If you are interested in attending the workshop please PM me for further details.

Details of the consultation can be found at:EYFS Learning and Development consultation

Tara

Hi Tara,

The EYFS goes from birth to 5 years old so why ask about the views of 5 to 10 year old parents? Are the government thinking of introducing another thing for this age.

Seems like a waste of time to me - just like some of the EYFS.

Would guess their looking for feedback from children who've been through it & can comment on how useful they feel it's been/what changes they'd suggest.

Asking a group of parents who's children are younger would be interesting but unlikely to be as useful (would be like asking a group of first time mums-to-be how to redesign a maternity unit when new mums who've actually used the unit thru pregnancy & birth would have clearer ideas - *this is just an example!*)

if it started in 2008 the parents of 7yr and under would have, plus, even if they didn't go through EYFS, having older children they will be able to with hindsight, give ideas of what did/didn't aid their children in reaching their potential.

Surely parents who have or will have children going through EYFS should have their views heard, if not at this meeting then at another.

I have taken part in the on-line consultation which I must say is extremely 'loaded' towards EYFS and the proposed changes. This no doubt helps with headline making in the future.

So, is there a meeting where parents who have young children now can attend and express their views?

The event we are holding is to get parents' views on the Government's proposed new Early Learning Goals. These descrobe what children should typically be able to do by the age of five - that is the reason why we are not specifically asking for parents of younger children to attend this workshop.

Parents of younger children (or anyone for that matter) are of course encouraged to look at the early learning goals and respond to the online consultation (details in my earlier post).

Cora - apologies but we are unable to provide a creche.