East Dulwich, the Notting Hill of the east?

JessieW

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Come on Jessie, What you got? A house on the

> market you can't shift?

Nope. just a girl, looking at East Dulwich, and saying what I am hearing. I am happy here in Dulwich and understand why everyone else wants to be here. Loving the banter though. You should be happy. Your value of your flat is going up by the minute... come on!

I've a house, I live in it, it's my home, I'm gonna stay here a while longer..... the value is a bit incidental BUT there is no way SE22 is the new Notting Hill. You're drunk or barking and I'm off to bed. Goodnight Jesse it's been fun :))

JessieW Wrote:

> ???? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > ok.

> > Housing.

> >

> > Where are there ANY houses the size or granduer

> of

> > the average house in Notting Hill? Most of them

> > (SE22) would fit in the halls of Notting Hill

> > properties...

>

>

> Majority of Notting hill property is small flats?

> honestly. Even the big houses don?t have a garden

> that can compare to most here. Believe me. For a

> one bed flat there, you get a 3 bed house here

> with a garden. Those are the types moving over.

> The young couples. Not the peeps with the mansions

> in Holland Park. Notting Hill is mainly 1-2 bed

> flats, well at least anywhere around Portobello

> Road

That's very true actually. The flats are absolutely tiny. But then I think you've got to be a bit into your postcode as status if you're mad enough to pay the prices over there for such ridiculously small properties

If you want a large flat with a large garden, free parking outside, next door to the park, within walking distance of Honor Oak Park station and the East London line, 12 mins to London Bridge, not much longer now to North London and easy access to the West End with a 2 minute walk away to a really good Italian restaurant, good fish and chip shop, good cafe and pub come up to Marmora Road, still got the Se22 postcode. I do have a flat to sell!

Anywhere 5 mins walking distance to Lordship Lane is bullet proof price wise more like the little Kings Road of the South.

Only problem is the small housing stock all little Victorian cottages when compared to the large Victorian Villas and Mansions of North London Clapham Brixton etc.

The area to aspire to is Dulwich Village, many move to E D with a view to hopping up to the Village when they get the big bonus of win the lottery.

Prices in East Dulwich and the Village are still below similar areas of North and West London because there are no International schools to attract Americans, Japanese or other Foreigners. I?ve friends who are stuck in Hampstead for the Japanese School who would love to move here.

I keep thinking of moving but when I compare prices in comparable areas is still 25% more expensive sq ft location for similar location and further from the city and central london, I?ve had plenty of time to look between contracts.

Peckham could do with a major reworking as it drags down this part of London terribly, maybe there?s more of an opportunity for a comparison with Notting Hill there only some of the estates would need to be leveled first.

Come to Marmora Road, SE22 Fazer, still walking distance to Lordship Lane, the houses that have not been converted to flats are large and imposing with grand staircases and large gardens, the houses that have been made into flats,the flats are still large and spacious. My flat is high spec, spacious with gardens front and back and for sale if anyone is interested?

fazer71 Wrote:

> Peckham could do with a major reworking as it

> drags down this part of London terribly, maybe

> there?s more of an opportunity for a comparison

> with Notting Hill there only some of the estates

> would need to be leveled first.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine says that the vibrancy of Peckham reminds him of Notting Hill in the 60's and 70's, pre-gentrification. For the sake of the communities who call it home, I hope it stays that way!

fazer71 Wrote:

Totally agree. A major improvement to Peckham (and the Elephant) would have a huge knock on effect to the wider SE area. They are the two big centres for this part of London and both have seen better days. It's a shame that the E&C regeneration has gone so far off course.

fazer71 Wrote:

Peckham has already had one of the largest regeneration schemes in Europe:

http://www.countryside-properties-corporate.com/peckham-partnership-additonal-information

It's one of the reasons SE15 house prices rose faster than most of the rest of London in the last decade.

I think you're being a little bit insensitive JessieW.

You're not likely to endear yourself to hard working unpretentious local residents if you announce yourself to be part of a (currently unpopular) 'foreign' tribe of smug advertising hacks, who are sweeping into the area with a view to changing it to make it more like an area that has a reputation for vacuous trustafarian tossers.

You then compound the problem by boasting about the money you're going make out of house prices - a rather unattractive and shallow trait that went out of fashion about the same the country collapsed into recession due to the idiocy of housing speculators.

Surely even someone in advertising could see that? ;-)

BTW, I am an advertising hack.

Fazer71 - I remember north peckham in the 1990s and frankly it's unrecognisable now. Every year another corner gets redeveloped with sensibly designed housing and civic space. If the internal quality of the homes matches the external, I think it will mature into an attractive place to live, just live the area between Surrey Quays and the river.

I second that Mike. The redevelopment of the estates of North Peckham over the past two decades has been a success. And personally I'd hate to live in an area that mirrors ED for miles around. One of the great things about this area of South London is it's diversity and there are just as many decent people living in Peckham as there are in ED....and in many cases far more interesting perhaps. To judge an area as being superior simply because it commands better house prices is also ridiculous and says more about the person making such a judgement than the area itself.

mikeb Wrote:

> Fazer71 - I remember north peckham in the 1990s

> and frankly it's unrecognisable now. Every year

> another corner gets redeveloped with sensibly

> designed housing and civic space. If the internal

> quality of the homes matches the external, I think

> it will mature into an attractive place to live,

> just live the area between Surrey Quays and the

> river.

It's certainly a lot better, but whether it stays nice now that the prop of public spending has been taken away is another matter. It's the kind of area that can be hit hard in a recession and start to deteriorate again. A lot depends on the local demographic. If the slums were cleared but the inhabitants all stayed, though in nicer buildings, then it may only be a matter of time before it feels like a slum again. Personally, I think proximity to the City will ultimately rescue Peckham, but the regeneration money has given it a helpful kickstart.

but whether it stays nice now that the prop of public spending has been taken away is another matter. It's the kind of area that can be hit hard in a recession and start to deteriorate again. A lot depends on the local demographic. If the slums were cleared but the inhabitants all stayed, though in nicer buildings, then it may only be a matter of time before it feels like a slum again.

But you are making a huge assupmtion there about the people who live in North Peckham (and if I were one of them might feel offended by that comment). Sure there will be some who take no pride in where they live. But the same can be said for ED. The local authoirity will continue with services such as bulk refuse collection even in times of recession, so there is no real evidence to think any area will degenerate into a slum. You might also perhaps like to take a look at Southwark Council's latest tenancy agreement too, where you'll see ample rules on what is expected from a tenant to ensure that where they live stays pleasant. The decent homes programme is still very much part of Southwark's agenda, so the programme of new windows and other essential mechanical engineering is set to continue. And the regeneration of the Aylesbury estate is also going ahead inspite of the recent economic crisis.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> but whether it stays nice now that the prop of

> public spending has been taken away is another

> matter. It's the kind of area that can be hit hard

> in a recession and start to deteriorate again. A

> lot depends on the local demographic. If the slums

> were cleared but the inhabitants all stayed,

> though in nicer buildings, then it may only be a

> matter of time before it feels like a slum again.

>

> But you are making a huge assupmtion there about

> the people who live in North Peckham (and if I

> were one of them might feel offended by that

> comment). Sure there will be some who take no

> pride in where they live. But the same can be said

> for ED. The local authoirity will continue with

> services such as bulk refuse collection even in

> times of recession, so there is no real evidence

> to think any area will degenerate into a slum. You

> might also perhaps like to take a look at

> Southwark Council's latest tenancy agreement too,

> where you'll see ample rules on what is expected

> from a tenant to ensure that where they live stays

> pleasant. The decent homes programme is still very

> much part of Southwark's agenda, so the programme

> of new windows and other essential mechanical

> engineering is set to continue. And the

> regeneration of the Aylesbury estate is also going

> ahead inspite of the recent economic crisis.

There's a big difference in the social make-up of East Dulwich and North Peckham. East Dulwich has a much higher rate of employment and almost none of the sink estates that scare away the middle classes and hold back gentrification. Crime is related to poverty and employment level - if Peckham remains an area with very high unemployment, its social problems are unlikely to disappear. I don't think changing the buildings that people live in is necessarily enough. There's a historical precedent for this situation. In the 1930s and 40s, following the stockmarket crash and depression, there were widespread slum clearances in the UK. Rows of decrepit Victorian terraces were pulled down and replaced with shiny new modern houses. Fast forward to today - the remaining Victorian workers' houses are now fashionable, whereas the interwar houses are not. Similar pattern in the 70s, with slum-dwellers rehoused in high-rise blocks that were considered excitingly modern at the time and are now being pulled down in places like Walworth and North Peckham. If regeneration consists only of changing the buildings and not the local economy, it doesn't have a lasting effect.