Moving out of East Dulwich to release capital - but where to??

GrumpyOldGitLady

Recently when visiting daughter in Durrington On Sea Sussex, we took a bus into Rustington. Good shopping areas, various types of houses/flats/bungalows. Mixture of generations. Next time we go to Sussex- will spend more time exploring Rustington. ( it is on the Littlehampton Rail line I believe)

• 3 weeks later...

That's a really helpful info, Sephiroth. We've looked at Lewes too, but going by the estate agents windows, it didn't look a lot cheaper than London... Do you / anyone else know much about Rye and the surrounding area? We like bits of Rye although it does look a bit twee / small.....

There seem to be lots of houses for sale or sold around SE22 at the moment - where are you all moving to, sellers?

• 4 weeks later...

Frankito Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Probably more enthusiastic about something else

> which isn?t the postcode..

>

> siousxiesue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Friend just visited her boyfriend in Havant.

> She

> > was very enthusiastic about it

I'm moving out of London. I found the challenge is that almost everywhere that's commutable isn't that much less expensive, particularly once you add on the cost of commuting. I'm going a non-commutable distance on the basis of affordability / nicer property / remote working with 1-2 days a week in London. If you need to commute regularly it would be worth looking at parts of Essex just outside the M25, like Epping or Roydon. Manningtree is another option, on the coast and end of Dedham Vale yet only an hour to Liverpool St.

malumbu Wrote:

> Gillingham, Ramsgate, Isle of Sheppey, Canvey

> Island

SHEPPEY?

That place has a weird mindset and it?s pretty depressing. Plus I think it has some kind of official ?area of deprivation? status.

My advice before moving anywhere is to do a bit of shopping in the local supermarket on a busy day. Minster Tesco is an eye opener.

We moved to Lisbon, Portugal after 15 years in SE22. It costs 20 Euros to get residency for 5 years but hurry before the Brexit deadline on 31st Dec. Reasons for:

- Same time zone for remote working

- Massive lifestyle upgrade...cost of living is 15 to 20% less than London.

- Easy access back to UK

- Better weather. Lisbon is the sunniest capital in Europe with 2750 hrs of sunshine approx.

- Better food.

- Excellent schools.

- Stable politics

- outdoor living for most of the year.

/endz

The century old rules for living in London have just been shot to pieces. Each to their own but the appeal of densely populated urban areas is surely diminishing. There are a million better places for all round quality of life. Especially if you have a young family. In my opinion.

DovertheRoad Wrote:

> We moved to Lisbon, Portugal after 15 years in

> SE22. It costs 20 Euros to get residency for 5

> years but hurry before the Brexit deadline on 31st

> Dec. Reasons for:

>

> - Same time zone for remote working

> - Massive lifestyle upgrade...cost of living is 15

> to 20% less than London.

> - Easy access back to UK

> - Better weather. Lisbon is the sunniest capital

> in Europe with 2750 hrs of sunshine approx.

> - Better food.

> - Excellent schools.

> - Stable politics

> - outdoor living for most of the year.

>

> /endz

Great city, love that place.

Do you know Noel the Irish butcher there?

Loutwo Wrote:

> Margate. Apparently all the arty types are moving

> there.

>

> Louisa.

Big drugs issue there with TDL?s snorting the remaining equity they?ve acquired.

Did someone say Havant? It?s full of ex-squaddies and other strange people. In fact that whole area is generally ?weird?.

• 2 years later...

We're still looking for the right area to move to from East Dulwich (after a gap in looking)

We've probably narrowed it down to Sussex - we're quite interested in the area in and around Lewes and Sephiroth's feedback about it in this thread is very useful.

If anyone else has feedback on places in Sussex which are not too quiet or small, and ideally with a railway station nearby, and are a bit cheaper than SE22 that would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm Wayne, not exactly helpful.  Either you are unaware of how beautiful the city of Durham is and other parts of the county, or you are showing why much of  the rest of the country dislikes the south east - think Harry Enfield and 'Lodsamoney'.  So much for leveling up eh?

Of course in the old days it would have been seen as banter, but nobody posts on the Lounge anymore apart from a few sad'os like me.

As for where to move my thoughts are as earlier, Sussex and the like are nice to visit but after living in the metropolis for so long I'd find it could be a bit dull and a bit to Tory for me (OK there are pockets of liberalism/bohemian thought).

Friend lived in Kingston near to Lewes and as well as the downs you have the double benefit of the brewery.  Fast trains back to the smoke are always a benefit as well.

Durham is nothing less than idyllic, a beautiful city with a lovely castle, Cathedral and town centre.  

Go a little further up the NE coast to another beautiful town, Tynemouth, and the further along the NE coast you go, the more you discover what an absolute gem that it is.

If it was not as wet and cold as it is in Autumn and Winter, I'd move like a shot. And as has been said Sussex is another place to consider relocating too. 

On 03/10/2020 at 13:27, O.A.Partygirl said:

That's a really helpful info, Sephiroth. We've looked at Lewes too, but going by the estate agents windows, it didn't look a lot cheaper than London... Do you / anyone else know much about Rye and the surrounding area? We like bits of Rye although it does look a bit twee / small.....

There seem to be lots of houses for sale or sold around SE22 at the moment - where are you all moving to, sellers?

Rye is lovely, but as you say, quite small. Hastings old town is very nice and St Leonards (though rough around the edges) is quite 'cool'/ arty. The whole area of East Sussex around '1066 country' is very nice imo.

• 10 months later...

I lived in Brunswick the regency area of central Hove for six years but returned to London because of the terrible drug problems the place has. Many coastal towns in kent and Sussex have serious issues with county line dealers down from London openly selling their poisons to mainly street sleepers/homeless. It's heart breaking to see and it's rife. The police and council moved the problem elsewhere when they eventually done a purge on central Brighton where most of the addicts congregated and also begged from. It's a doddle for dealers who see these places as sleepy, backwards and much less a risk to them compared to trying to compete, avoid arrest and rival gang members in a very competitive and cut throat market that is London.

Most of the regency stock looks beautiful, has character and spacious rooms but are terribly expensive to keep warm during the winter because the heat escapes from everywhere. The walls get soaked too once the heat escapes. The buildings are old, no double glazing and no insulation.

Aldrington is nice, clean and peaceful as is parts of Shoreham. Rottingdean, and Saltdean.

2 hours ago, O.A.Partygirl said:

Still looking! Mainly thinking about South of  London but any new suggestions gratefully received - even including cheaper areas of London particularly South or south-east London.

I would personally avoid any seaside town in the current economic climate.

I have friends who moved a few years ago and they told me that in the past six months or so its become deeply depressing due to cost of living crisis and rubbish weather the last couple of summers the 'nice' shops are closing down due to lack of footfall and people with less disposable income and vandalism burglary and drug taking has become more and more apparant, they plan to move again but now cant sell their house.

I'd look to other areas of South or south east london, or somewhere like Bath (where I'd quite like to live actually) or Somerset.

Try somewhere like Newport. On the main railway line to Wales. Near Bristol (20) mins) which is a cultural hub. Two-bed house £100.000

Or consider moving closer to your children. You will only get older and, if you like them, loved ones can be a source of comfort.

According to my daughter and granddaughter- the Portsmouth area is very reasonable for rental properties and house purchases. Friends fed up with London prices have moved to the outskirts of Portsmouth and commute to London once a week. They are currently renting at less than half the cost of their London rental and are now saving up to buy a property.

Also try Durrington on Sea and Goring by Sea in West Sussex. Train stations near by, good local shops and schools. Roughly a couple of miles from Worthing Town for a larger shopping area. Loads of hypermarkets (Sainsburys. Tesco. Aldi. Asda) Plenty of Garden Centres.

Rustington is also a good area .

Have you looked at Deal?

I know a family with now grown children and an older married couple who moved there from this area more than 10 years ago and really like it.   Nice high street with quite a few good restaurants.

For a city, I like Bristol a lot.  Less than two hours by train to Paddington. Good hospitals.  Easy access to countryside - Cotswolds, Devon and Cornwall.  

Also, look at Wimborne Minster, Dorset, a historic market riverside town north of Bournemouth.   I did a lot of research a few years back  and WM ticked a lot of boxes for me.