It's 4.30am and the heathrow flight path appears to be in use

maxtedc

stacey-lyn Wrote: at 08:29 on 25 August

-------------------------------------------------------

> From 0433 this morning. Again.

> Oddly, no flights are listed before 0540 (ETA) - that actually arrived today at 0657 (the BA/QFcodeshare from MEL via SIN) and no record of any

> earlier. So what are they? Rendition flights?

and at 18:00 on 25 August

------------------------------------

>Spoke to BAA who are certain that NO flights landed at Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted before 0657 today. Go figure.

Unlikely, according to Webtrak, http://webtrak.bksv.com/lhr, from whose interactive map I've copied the following. The items are

Time, FlightId, From->To, AircraftType, Height (feet), Groundspeed (knots), Locations crossed ('+' = junction-of)

If I've not said it's an arc'd path, it's a due West flight, or within ~10 degrees of it.

I can't find any statement of the timezone used: I assume it's BST.

Note that most of these are north of East Dulwich proper.

Sat 25 Aug 2012 03:00-05:50

04:33 BA026 HKG->LHR 744 4,249 192 GroveHillRoad+CamberwellGrove

04:50 BA012 SIN->LHR 744 4,249 192 De Crespigny Park+Denmark Hill

04:53 BA056 JNB->LHR 744 4,180 182 GroveHillRoad+CamberwellGrove

05:00 VS201 HKG->LHR 346 4,078 227 GroveHillRoad+CamberwellGrove

05:02 BA028 HKG->LHR 77W 4,163 165 GroveHillRoad+CamberwellGrove

05:06 BA074 LOS->LHR 744 3,635 182 arc Horniman-DulwichPark-LordshipLane+BassanoSt-AbbotswoodRoad

05:20 UA958 ORD->LHR 763 3,675 213 arc BrenchleyGardens-MathamGrove-AbbotswoodRoad

05:25 CX251 HKG->LHR 77W 4,039 198 GroveHillRoad+CamberwellGrove

05:28 BA016 SIN->LHR 744 4,167 182 GroveHillRoad+CamberwellGrove

05:33 BD968 FNA->LHR 332 3,786 221 arc CreborStreet-EDPoliceStation-ThorncombeRoad

05:42 MH002 KUL->LHR 380 4,016 209 North Dulwich Station

Who knows but something ain't kosher. While speaking to them I was imaging the scenario: BAA dude puts hand over phone and says to mate "Hey Mac, got another one of those SE Londoners complaining about planes at 4.30am. What do I tell her?" Mac: (Sniggering) "You have the script. Stick with it". Raucous laughter at BAA ensues.

These wake me up every morning where the nights are warm i sleep with my bedroom window open if it aint FOXES it is PLANES how much worse will this be if granted a 3rd runway

they are cool to watch when passing to land during the day but at 4 am in the morning its not nice i may send BAA the invoice to have air-con fitted to my house see how that goes down

knowing my luck i will have the noide patroll around for disturbing the peace

I completely agree they start early in the morning as I live smack dab under the flight path. Because we are just about the highest point in the area they are incredibly noisy, especially if they are making the last turn to final approach they often change the throttle speed which is very noticeable.

That said before I lived in Dulwich I lived in West Ealing. I can guarantee you that a fully laden Jumbo going to either Hong Kong or Arab Emirates with the engines on full power as it fights against gravity makes a LOT more noise than a fuel depleted one coming in to land. The building literally shook on some occasions.

Unfortunately,wherever you go in the South East it's much noisier than elsewhere in the UK by dint of the sheer number of airports, size of aircraft and number of flights. I also used to live in West Yorkshire and was under the flight path for Leeds/Bradford, and at the time I thought that was noisy too!

As Tiger Ranks posted if the foxes wake me up at 2am I can be sure that I'll just be dozing when the Hong Kong flight arrives. Hey ho, I'll just turn up my stero with Matallica and make myself deaf. Result: blissful sleep, however the neighbours might object.

Always interests me that the webtrak site (http://webtrak.bksv.com/lhr) only starts its playback from 7am, implying that's when the flights start...

randombloke, you'll find LBA's flightpath a lot noisier now!

I don't think it's enough to say everywhere in the SE is noisy because of planes - big chunks of it aren't. And I just don't see that the pollution of so many millions of people's lives by dragging vast numbers of big planes over a city the size of London with only 5 hours off in each 24 hour period is sustainable in the end. Hope I'm right.

Medley..

It default-starts playback at 7am, but you can set it to start playback from any time with a couple of clicks - and see/list all landings, as ianr has done above.

In any case the bar chart showing all landings for the 24-hour period isn't exactly hidden.. it's right there as soon as you access the page, clearly showing planes landing from 4ish on all days when there's a westerley wind.

No big secret.. there they are!

Before soft day breaks

quietly painting the garden with light

Before sleeping heart wakes

from the wonder of dream-filled night

Before hearing melodious Blackbird sing

Before insomniac Robin takes to wing

Flies a bird of a different feather

Forever killing sleep and the dream of a gentle start.

The dreaded edit...

DULWICH FLYOVER

Before soft day breaks

quietly painting the garden with light

Before sleeping heart wakes

from the wonder of dream-filled night

Before hearing melodious Blackbird sing

Before restless Robin takes to wing

Flies a bird of a different feather

Forever killing sleep and the dream of a gentle start.

• 1 month later...