It's 4.30am and the heathrow flight path appears to be in use

maxtedc

Thanks, Burbage. Firstly, I take it that ED is _not_ in one of the test areas to be avoided by planes: it's between the inner northern and southern test areas for approaches from the east.

Having looked through all the maps in the PDF, I'd want to see a proper written commentary before reaching any conclusion, and I take it that the trial's still underway. But the impression I get is that ED is, if anything, getting proportionately more of these early-morning overflights during trial weeks, because some of the flights are going over ED as a consequence of avoiding an active inner (blue border) test area.

EDIT: 16:31 Sorry, I'm revising that. As Burbage suggests, parts of ED could be said to fall within the southern test area. ED station is on the N of BRIXTON, north of the area; North Dulwich station, within the area, is below its O.

Only me! Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/heathrow-

> sets-flightpaths-for-early-morning-planes-8381177.

> html

>

> Saw this on the EStandard site.

> Maybe a little early morning respite is on the

> cards?

>

> No maps to help determine exactly where the zones

> will be .... but fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

This is quoted from the Brockly forum :

" there is currently an ?arrivals pilot scheme? (pardon the pun!) being run by Heathrow at the moment. The effect of this is that Brockley is under one of the ?Boxes? of areas which is now experiencing more aircraft passing by, starting from as early as 4.30am. This trial period started on 5 November 2012 which fits in exactly with the disturbances I , and some neighbours have experienced, which seem to be getting worse. It is due to compete in March 2013 although if it is considered a?success? it may become permanent.

We need as many people as possible who live in the area and are experiencing this disruption (or who simply want to support their neighbours) to log their complaints by calling this number: 0800 344844 or at [email protected]"

Suggest all those who want this "trial" where we get disproportionately more of the early flights lodge their complaints before the trial is over and we get it permanently

We live on Lordship Lane, down The Plough end, always sleep with the window open can't stand stuffy bedrooms) and I could set my watch by the flights going over. 0435 like clockwork, I wake to them every morning, then roll over and try to go back to sleep. Presume it's the long haulers as I have landed in at Heathrow around 0530-0555 several times in the past 3 months coming back from Asia and Australia on business.

I travel a lot for work and have FlightBoard on my iPad and iPhone. It's a live feed from the boards at airports around the world. The Heathrow one has LOADS of flights coming in before 0530. I have also installed FlightTrack on my iPad as that identifies the flights in real-time, will be trying to identify the exact planes.

Thought the attached might be of interest as I took the screenshots just as the first flight went overhead this morning... You will see that there were 17 flights en route and due to land at Heathrow this morning between 0432 and 0600. Departing planes were not taking off before 0600.

• 2 months later...

Champ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Really? I'd noticed it was much quieter recently,

> unless I'm just getting used to it. I'm on Crystal

> Palace Road between the Castle and Great

> Expedition.

xxxxxxx

I hadn't noticed it so much recently either (though there's a plane just going over now!)

I'm in the same general area.

When I lived on Talfourd Rd in Peckham a couple of years ago I really noticed the plane noise first thing in the morning (from about 5am) and often wondered why it was more noticeable then (probably because I was trying to sleep!) - do they only use this flight path in the morning or is it maybe that there is less background noise joining it at that time so it stands out more than later in the day when there are people and traffic around. I've since lived in Goose Green and Nunhead and have not had a problem with planes waking me up. Talfourd Rd was unbearable.

• 1 month later...

Sick to death of the planes again here, isn't the rota ever going to move them off?

Late Sunday afternoon/evening the airport must be totally stuffed with arrivals.

Extra noisy Jumbos growl in with the red-eye flights from USA, and this morning's skies are packed again. Have been enduring one every minute and a half. Surely humankind can organise less wasteful systems for lots of this stuff is perishable food, which could be grown closer to home.