Do you trust Tooley St.?

Penguin68

I think there a two elements to this : 1) trust in the unelected employees of the council to work in the best interest of the public and not to their agenda and 2) trust in the elected representatives to hold the employees of the council to account on behalf of the public and to stand up to those council employees where they act outside our interests.

I have no trust in the employees of the council at Tooley St.

I have even less trust in the councillors. I think they are generally either doing nothing but enjoying the ceremonial status of the role or, worse, simply acting as a mouthpiece for the council and standing up against the public when we confront projects that are not in our interests

cella Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well with Momentum poised to target Harriet

> Harmans long held seat it will be interesting to

> see if anything filters down to the local level

> afterwards.

I thought she was in the running for Speaker when it all settles down.

As a council employee we do our best .. every decision needs a report to be signed off by IDM (individual decision maker) or cabinet . . Being from the inside and also worked for other boroughs in the past . Be careful what you wush for . They are a pretty good bunch (cabinet ) . Ward cllra are hit and miss

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Absolutely not.

If we have 100% representation from any one political party, as we do, then this is what we get. Mistrust.

And some of us are represented by councillors who hold positions in organisations that work in the interests of major house builders and developers in the Borough of Southwark. Surely a conflict of interest? But perhaps The Labour Party are too busy disregarding women to even discuss this as a motion.

Their hypocrisy is stunning and they aren?t even a decent opposition party.

I do trust Tooley Street. It's always there when I need to use it. In fact that can be said about most roads in the UK, we haven't lost many down sink holes or through earth quakes and even during the blitz they still managed to operate. Occasionally the names change which can be confusing but I don't think that there are any plans to change the name of Tooley Street.

Quite an interesting report prepared by housing development officers for the upcoming housing and community engagement commission, case study of resident engagement re proposed rooftop devt and infill housing at Brenchley Gardens. Another example of the inadequacy of Commonplace as an engagement tool (too much generic spin in the questions asked), and there seems to be some friction between officers and ward councillors about who said what to the tenants. This is a case study but doubtless similar issues on lots of other estates (here it seems that the inclusion of an infill building in the plans - needed to finance the whole scheme - wasn?t sufficiently flagged up). I think there?s a systemic problem around community engagement.

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s101819/Report%20New%20council%20homes%20on%20existing%20estates%20-%20Case%20Study%201%20-%20Brenchley%20Gardens.pdf

Another interesting bit from a council report, this one about a recommendation that the council extend its current corporate liability insurance rather than go out to tender at this stage:

?As part of any retender exercise, potential bidders will look at the council?s claims experience. There is currently a very large reserve against an employer?s liability claim due to a recent review which resulted in the reserve being increased substantially. There has also been deterioration generally in the last 12 months in the employer?s liability claims experience. This would affect how the council is viewed and likely the bids submitted at a tender.?

Wonder what went on there.

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s102038/Report.pdf

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...