Missing post/packages - lordship lane

Vixster250

Has anyone else had problems with packages going missing from their post? I have had at least 3 packages go missing from online purchases in the last month.

Seems too many to be a coincidence.

I know our postman has changed recently............

would be interested to know if anyone else is having a problem.

Thanks

This is a constant theme on here, and a constant theme of mine is that people need to report every single item which they don't receive, so that Royal Mail can identify any patterns and nail the thief (if there is one).

There is a compensation process, but it only applies to specific delivery methods. However if things go missing,

Complaints can be sent to Royal Mail HERE

• 3 months later...

I have experienced problems with the post for years. But I discovered today that a number of letters addressed to me were misdelivered and then returned to sender marked "not at this address", meaning that I was removed from the maling list altogether. There is no way of knowing to whom they were incorrectly posted to.

It seems that people are often advised to mark any unwanted post "return to sender."

However, only letters for your address but for a different person should be returned.

Misdelivered items can be reposted in any postbox with a note to say they were misdelivered. This also alerts the recipient that their post went astray in the first place (so that we can complain to Royal Mail and build up a pattern of the problems)

This is not to excuse Royal Mail who should not be misdelivering items as frequently as they do. But this may explain many items which are written off as "lost".

Have any of you reported this to the police? At minimum, phone 101 and log it as intel. I don't want to say too much in public, but it might be useful to get someone from the SNT to phone me...

From my experiences with cash going missing from special delivery envelopes (envelopes delivered empty or with a substantial amount missing) it is my understanding that the Police will get involved only upon complaints from Royal Mail, and not from individuals.

After being fobbed off for many months, it was only when I emailed the chief executive of Royal Mail that the cash was refunded in all three cases. Even then I had to undergo extensive interrogation by phone.

we have had this happen on ivanhoe road too.

although the post man tried to deliever to a different house and then left a card, i rang the post office and they cannot even find the parcel. 2 weeks later and they still havent found it and havent rung me back as promised :(

I haven't suffered from any delays or missing post while living in East Dulwich, but I send very little by post these days. That comes as a result of living in East London for 18 months, where you were lucky to have 5 out of 10 packages arrive at your door unmolested by crooked postal workers. I never bought the weak (and no doubt rehearsed) excuses I got at the sorting depot whenever packages went missing. Although experience has taught me that postmen and women in East Dulwich are, by and large, a lot more honest than their colleagues in Hackney and Leytonstone.

annabel42 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree that the local mail staff, sorting as well

> as postmen and women, are honest. The problems,

> generally, arise elsewhere in the chain.

xxxxxx

How do you know this?

Do you have some inside information?

Can you personally vouch for the honesty of every single man and woman working for Royal Mail locally?

Sorry, but the only way to find out why mail goes missing is for every missing item to be reported, so that any pattern can be identified, eg the same person on duty each time at a particular stage of the process. Then a watch can be made of that person.

But my guess is that only a very small percentage of people who think they have missing items bother to report them, because they think it won't make any difference.

So the thief/thieves - assuming there are any - will think, probably rightly, that they can carry on thieving because they won't be caught.

in just about every walk of life there is bound to be some dishonesty. However, it would not be fair to tarnish the reputation of the vast majority of Royal Mail employees with the possible, unproven, dishonest actions of a few.

I would like to respond to you in more detail, but it would be inappropriate to do so on a public forum and no, I do not work for, or have any connection, with Royal Mail.

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed or experienced half posted letters hanging out of the letterbox, sometimes falling out onto the outside doormat! Someone isn't doing their job properly & this half arsed 'posting' could be another reason why mail is going missing ie the 'postman' is making it easy for someone else to take your post!

annabel42 Wrote:

> in just about every walk of life there is bound to

> be some dishonesty. However, it would not be fair

> to tarnish the reputation of the vast majority of

> Royal Mail employees with the possible, unproven,

> dishonest actions of a few.

>

> I would like to respond to you in more detail, but

> it would be inappropriate to do so on a public

> forum and no, I do not work for, or have any

> connection, with Royal Mail.

xxxxxxxxx

I don't think anybody was suggesting that the reputation of the vast majority of Royal Mail employees was tarnished?

I'm not quite sure why it's relevant that you have no connection with Royal Mail, but I used to be a senior manager with Royal Mail and I am well aware that the vast majority of employees are honest. However - as in any walk of life, as you say, some are not, which is why Royal Mail has (at least I assume it still has) an Investigation Department.

However they can't investigate unless people tell Royal Mail when items of post go missing.

• 3 weeks later...
royal mail is not good because when i buy something thats too big for the mail box at my house they are not bothered to knock on the door (e.g. i bought shocking roulette from amazon. it came but we didn't know because they didn't knock on the door and it was too big to fit through my mail box)they might do it to you but i don't know if this is a particular postman but they should knock on the door

Reporterguy Wrote:

> royal mail is not good because when i buy

> something thats too big for the mail box at my

> house they are not bothered to knock on the door

> (e.g. i bought shocking roulette from amazon. it

> came but we didn't know because they didn't knock

> on the door and it was too big to fit through my

> mail box)they might do it to you but i don't know

> if this is a particular postman but they should

> knock on the door

Amazon now use the infamous courier company Yodel who have a bad rep.

Morning .

Just read the info on missing packages, well our post here in abbotswood road has not been coming as often as it should have been we go a week without anything and post ie letters do not come, even when i posted a letter to myself with a little bite of sellotape on the back this letter never came , and the post office told me they cant find packages coming to me for signing .seems the post office does not care.

Bic Basher Wrote:

>

> Amazon now use the infamous courier company Yodel

> who have a bad rep.

We use Amazon a lot. Smaller items still come by post yet larger ones outsourced to Yodel. They are diabolical - totally unreliable & unprofessional. From my understanding, they're independent self employed couriers, like Hermes (also dreadful). After a 3rd failure, we complained to Amazon customer services (online) and they switched to UPS immediately. Can't fault the way Amazon handled it. As for Royal Mail and ParcelForce, recently we too have had missing mail as well as delivery notices left while we were in. Highshore Rd office couldn't find last week's delivery. And so it goes.

Hi Morning .

I agree with you , we go to Sylvester road , and our post we have to sign for they have lost.my grand daughters dad also has big problems with things he buys on eBay , its yodel who deliver in his area , coming from mitchem surrey , who do not deliver , so he had to cancel buying and this was parts for his car. all i will say is god help others who fall into this .

Yodel is a different issue, but for Royal Mail there is an online complaints form you can fill in.

If you have problems with Sylvester Road delivery office (and I must say I haven't), then you can presumably complain about that online as well.

If you give details of what has been apparently lost and when it was posted, then that will help Royal Mail identify what is going wrong, I guess.

Alternatively, if you are mega pissed off, you can always go to the top. If you write to the chair or chief exec of Royal Mail then some poor minion will be charged with investigating and drafting a reply to your letter. That's assuming things are the same as they were in the eighties, of course :)

Writing to your MP will also probably result in her/him forwarding it on to Royal Mail, and again some poor minion etc etc .....

They used to be called "flag cases" and a response had to go out within - I think it was a week.