World book day dress up - help!!

Jacks50

Please help! my two boys need to dress up for world book day as a character from a book (surprise!)) and I am so so rubbish at coming up with ideas for dressing up.

they are 7 and 4. one wants to be mr gum, the 4 year old quite wants to be zog but I think he can be persuaded!

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

Thank you

Hiya!

I am equally rubbish at stuff like this when my boy was in reception, he went as the Alien who Wore Underpants! I painted his face blue and he wore a larger pair of boxers over his jeans and a pair of briefs on his head with some pipe cleaners as antenna on his head!

It went down a treat!

He is now in Year 2 and has become obsessed with the Wimpy Kid books (thankfully as he is now reading books for PLEASURE - hurrah, hurrah!) and is - surprise, surprise, going to go as the Wimpy Kid!! Which entails normal trousers and a white t-shirt where he is going to draw (with t-shirt markers) a picture of the Wimpy Kid with the Wimpy kid book title written on it. Sorted.

Great ideas - sorry to butt in, but my children have to dress up this week too and suddenly realised as usual I am not at all organised - before I ruin their usual clothes, does anyone know where I can pick up any cheap plain white tshirts/tops locally?

Thanks

So on the eve of World Book Day how is everyone doing with their costumes? My 7 year old son has finished drawing (using some fab t-shirt markers) a picture of the Wimpy Kid on his blank t-shirt (a very fine copy of the book cover I think actually!) and I've got some serious spikey hair gel to do three spikes a la Wimpey Kid toward the back of his hair tomorrow.

Well... I bought a perfect little tee shirt dress - very Lola - at lunchtime and...errr...forgot it in the office. Had to improvise so my little lola will be wearing black leggings, stripy tee shirt, spotty cardi, butterflies in her hair and will be carrying her Sizzles and a bottle of pink milk.

we have a zog (although he's not orange) which I cheated on and bought a dragon costume on line, and a mr gum - an old trench coat, orange beard, black hat and a great big santa belt.

slightly worried about how dog is going to use the bathroom but other than that, everyone is happy!!

Jacks50 - last year my son went as Mr Gum. Here's what we did:

Black fleece that looked a bit ropey.

Old t-shirt

Trousers that were too short.

Made a black sort of top hat (too small) from black paper.

Got an orange piece of paper and cut it into fringes and stuck it onto his face for the beard.

Put some dark eye shadow on his face to make him look grubby.

Believe it or not he won for his year group and I am HONESTLY not an arty and crafty mum. My costumes are cobbled together on the morning and usually make me cringe with embarrassment.

I was talking about the dressing up with friends earlier and another good suggestion was Harry with the bucketful of dinosaurs. Usual clothes, bucket full of toy dinosaurs.

just re-read my last post and I'm not actually worried about the dog using the bathroom!! but I am a bit worried about ZOG!! sounds like the ramblings of a slightly unhinged mother!

Goodliz - your mr gum sounds great! I might stead a couple of ideas to finish it off with in the morning. And well done for winning the price!!