> E.U. and leave Won.

>

> So we cannot have another Referendum before we

> have left.

> Maybe we could have another in 5 years to see if

> wanted to rejoin ???

>

> if a second Referendum voted to stay, would we

> have a third referendum ? Best of three.

I do see your point. The UK has had three UK-wide referendums in its history (i.e. not including the 2014 indyref):

1. 1975 referendum to join the EEC (67% in favour of joining)

2. 2011 referendum on replacing the first past the post system with alternative voting (67% against changing)

2. 2016 EU referendum (52% in favour of leaving)

By contrast we've had over 50 elections since 1801. By and large they are nowadays fairly well run and democratic. In other words you know what you're voting for.

Referendums one and two above could have been re-run several times to reach the same conclusion.

The 2016 referendum was close. In contrast to the other two, there was no consensus. What does leave mean? Hard Brexit, Norway / Canada ++++ ?? What is the plan?

The whole point of a referendum is to give a binary option. It makes the 2014 Scottish indyref look like a tea party.

Something that really plays on my mind, is a response I had from someone at work

A young lady told me at the time of the referendum,she was going to vote to leave.

I asked why, her reasoning was because the eye put pennies tax on our sanitary towels!!!

My jaw dropped, I couldn't believe what I had just been told!

The bottom line is we were expected to vote for something we (at least most of us) knew nothing about

It was very unfair to the public,

Democracy or not, now we can make a more informed choice, so yes to another referendum!

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > 28% of D&WN voters have now signed the

> petition.

> > Getting ever closer to 5 million.

> > https://www.livefrombrexit.com/petitions/241584

>

>

> Only another 12.4 million to go then.

Could always have a people?s vote and see whether the polls (which have been showing a consistent and significant majority now for remain) are right or not. After all ?will of the people? and all that

teddyboy23 Wrote:

> Polls don't mean nothing polls said trump wouldnt

> win polls said remain would win the first

> referendum then may was told she would win a

> majority government etc etc

A vote on the final deal might help clear things up.

Sue Wrote:

> robbin Wrote:

> -----

> > 11.9 million to go...

>

>

> Are you seriously trying to compare an online

> petition with a referendum?

>

> Dear oh dear.

17.4 Million people took the time to go to their local polling station to vote to leave.

Some having time off work to go there.

People can sign an online petition in a couple of mins from anywhere. Requires very little effort.

People who went to their local polling station had One vote.

It has been suggested that people who signed the petition on line had more than one vote by using different email accounts.

Remoaners need to get over it. Accept the result. Retain our Democracy.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

> > robbin Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > 11.9 million to go...

> >

> >

> > Are you seriously trying to compare an online

> > petition with a referendum?

> >

> > Dear oh dear.

>

> 17.4 Million people took the time to go to their

> local polling station to vote to leave.

> Some having time off work to go there.

>

> People can sign an online petition in a couple of

> mins from anywhere. Requires very little effort.

>

> People who went to their local polling station

> had One vote.

> It has been suggested that people who signed the

> petition on line had more than one vote by using

> different email accounts.

>

> Remoaners need to get over it. Accept the result.

> Retain our Democracy.

>

> DulwichFox

The dunning kruger effect rears its head... again.

It's a false equivalence comparing an online petition with the referendum, if you want a like for like comparison there's the recent online petition to 'No Deal on the 29th', which at the moment has drawn just over half a million signatures.

What's interesting about both RevokeA50 and No Deal is how they have become legitimate solutions for each side to get out of this mess, especially when you consider neither was talked about seriously at the beginning. Both are easier to understand concepts and very quick to implement. I suspect the surprise popularity is down to 'battle fatigue', people just want it over and done with asap.

RevokeA50's surprise popularity has also helped to 'mainstream' the People's Vote idea, which could be an important factor now that Parliament has to come up with a consensus solution...

Last I heard the ERG jihadists like Baker and Francois haven't budged, supposed to be around 20. Their thinking is that May's deal is worse than remaining. Can't see the DUP backing May either, especially after May yesterday throwing them under the Stormont bus, plus Tory rebels, all adds up to not passing...

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/vote-leave-director-admits-won-lied-public/08/02/?fbclid=IwAR3dVW9PvsGCy4u1gAjg7io6_XbRd9J3yOnym3HhJF9x3SMzLfjnyrdD8xs

So the "Vote Leave" director admits that they won because they lied to the public.

What with that and the apparently illegal funding/spending issues, I can't understand why the result of the referendum isn't being declared void.

ETA: An extract:

And so to the damning paragraph that outs the Leave Campaign for what it was:

Pundits and MPs kept saying ?why isn?t Leave arguing about the economy and living standards?. They did not realise that for millions of people, ?350m/NHS was about the economy and living standards ? that?s why it was so effective. It was clearly the most effective argument not only with the crucial swing fifth but with almost every demographic. Even with UKIP voters it was level-pegging with immigration. Would we have won without immigration? No. Would we have won without ?350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No. Would we have won by spending our time talking about trade and the Single Market? No way.