parents ((considering/who've already chosen) private secondary school) - can you help?

Am working on a project discussion as follows:

When parents choose an independent senior school for their child what are the key factors that determine their choice?

I assume:

exam results

location/distance from home (including transport options)

facilities

environment (e.g. pastoral care)

subject strengths (eg sport/music etc to suit child))

However I'd be grateful for a true perspective (my child's still a toddler so don't really know!)

What of my assumptions are true for you / most important?

Do you have different key factors, other than what I've mentioned?

Are the factors different in selecting a (private) secondary school from junior/prep?

If you have already decided on private secondary and have a boy and girl, did different factors come into play based on their sex - or do you think it would?

If the issue of transport is important to you, how far away would you be willing to send your child (to day rather than boarding school)

How soon in advance did you seriously start thinking about independent secondary school options for your child(ren)?

I know this is a big ask so any answer you can give, however brief, is so appreciated:)

Your child is a toddler. Focus on enjoying her, encourge her to explore the world, facilitate her develop her self-confidence and let her wild & lovely toddler curiousity develop in leaps and bounds. Her abilities and passions will help you determine where you want her to go to secondary school. And will help her be a child any school will want to have.

The main reason for many parents is a positive learning environment with strict behaviour codes. This is not to say that these aspects are not available in state schools, but it is more hit and miss in the state sector.

Class disruption in some inner city schools would shock you if you saw it. The whole lesson can be spent disciplining the bad ch and the well behaved who are there to learn miss out. Teachers may well actually be worse in the private sector but their energy is not depleted to the same extent and the net result will often be that they have more to give.

I'm a parent governor of a inner city school in East Dulwich and I also volunteer one morning a week to read twith the children in my son's classroom. Any good inner city school will ensure that behaviour management is high on the agenda - poor behaviour is a barrier to learning for all the children in the classroom. It is true that inner city schools often have a range of abilities and behaviours to manage and integrate in the classroom - this is more challenging for teachers. However, a consistent approach throughout the school can work wonders and personally for me, the benefits of my child learning in such a diverse environment outweighs disadvantages. When I read with the children, I really enjoy reading with some of the children who tend to be the most disruptive. These kids are actually crying out for one-to-one adult attention and when a volunteer like me spends even just 15 minutes reading and talking with them, it makes a big difference to their lives! And they love reading with me too. It is very rewarding!!!

In terms of what to look for in terms of secondary schools, I think you have to take into account your child's interests and personality. I haven't really thought about it too much as my son is just in year 2!!!!

Coach Beth, I totally agree that spending one to one time with the disruptive ch is rewarding to an adult. (Many of my family work as literacy volunteers.) However I'm intrigued as to what the attentive ch learn in the diverse environment that you mention. What good does it do them, other than perhaps to value their education and luck in life, parents, support etc., more than they would otherwise.

Children, like my son, learn to get on with others from different backgrounds and life experiences in diverse social environments. They become friends with children from other backgrounds - they work together and learn together. I feel it has given my son more empathy, respect and understanding of people who are different.

I've been reading about GCSE/A-Levels vs International Baccalaureate. I think the IB is better for several reasons (just my personal assessment, opinions differ), and we will definitely be reviewing the IB route for our daughter in the future. I think some state schools are now offering IB too.

Townleygreen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You might be surprised to learn, dear Curmudgeon,

> that well over 50% come from very local postcodes.

> Yes, the catchment areas are wide but the majority

> live locally.

Yes you are right I would be extremely surprised to hear this judging by the huge number of coaches - where do you get this information from?

Hi,

I live in Nunhead and very glad that all this a while off for my year 2 son!

However - I hope to bring some relief!

I work at Deptford Green in Lewisham - a comprehensive, non academy, which will be offering IB and Alevels in its new 6th form next Sep!

We do also have some spaces for Year 7 - althugh Southwark parents seem to be flocking in who were allocated schools they hadn't chosen. Seems lots are in loop holes for schools! Have a look on the website for us - and you can always come and meet the head next Monday.

Ask for me, Anna, when you call.

Thanks, that's very useful. This is all a long way off for us too (daughter is only 2), but the years will go quickly enough I'm sure.

Re the IB, I also read that moderate performance on the IB was considered by British universities to be equivalent to high scores on A Levels. Plus the GCSE/A Level system is not much recognised outside the UK, so IB would be better for students contemplating overseas universities. So much to think about!

It's always useful to speak to the Head and maybe some prospective teachers to find out their attitude and approach. Also useful to know about classroom sizes and after school activities/ provision, ask to see some samples of recent (pupils') work and also ask about their policy of working with children with special educational needs. May also be useful to find out whether music lessons are on offer - some schools loan out musical instruments. This helps you build an overall picture of a school, regardless of which sector, whether state or private.

Townleygreen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You might be surprised to learn, dear Curmudgeon,

> that well over 50% come from very local postcodes.

> Yes, the catchment areas are wide but the majority

> live locally.

>Curmudgeon replied:

>Yes you are right I would be extremely surprised to hear this judging by the huge number of coaches - where do you get >this information from?

"Huge" number of coaches? Alleyn's website mentions a quarter of pupils come in by coach. That means 75% don't.

That do as your answer?

Fair enough, but why do you think they're spurious?

You have to bear in mind that each coach in Townley Road serves Alleyn's AND JAGs, and many also serve DC and DCPS too, which clearly exaggerrates the apparent scale of coaches in the area.

25% would mean about 250 children, but having seen the statistics of which postcodes the pupils live in, the VAST majority are from SE21, Se22, SE5, SE27, SW19, SE23 and SW2 which are all within the immediate locality.

I was having this very conversation yesterday (though with less tension I must say) with someone who works at the school. They told me that they had recently looked into this out of interest - possibly prompted by this thread, I don't know? - and had found that approximately 1/3 of current pupils lived locally (walking distance) another 1/3 lived near but coach/ car/ transport distance (Clapham/ Balham etc.etc.)and the last 1/3 live bloomin' miles away. So 2/3 traveling distance sufficient to need transport.

Seems the website might need updating.