warning-strange man hanging around in childrens playground.

mfcjoe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So Damien, where does it say that he done anything

> other than look at the OP, oh yeah ,she bumped

> into him a few days later, she may well have

> freaked him out.

hi mfcjoe, im not going to get into a debate with you on this matter but whats your problem?

Would you come and stand in a childrens play area on your own without any children and stare at a woman with young children then follow them down the road and run off if she had noticed you had followed her?

I am not paranoid, the police and park wardens are aware of the man as they had other reports from other women on friday so he is obviously freaking out a lot of people.

If I had not said anything and Id heard that someone had been attacked Id never forgive myself, I wanted other women to be aware there is someone odd hanging around.

I use that alley everyday to take and collect my daughter from nursery I pass men jogging and walking down there all the time and have never felt threatened or worried before by anyone but this man shook me up, his behaviour was not normal.

I really think you should think about your comments before posting.

Ludoscotts,

You do not come across as paranoid, it's good you have posted.

The chap was clearly acting suspiciously, as verified by the park staff and police! You were right to be concerned and I for one am grateful you have posted. I too use that park with my toddler and baby and his behaviour would have freaked me out too. To have that happen when alone would be scary, when with your two small children even worse as you are in a far more vulnerable position.

Pay no attention to mfcjoe, at best s/he is a troll, at worst an insensitive, totally inappropriate piece of work looking for a reaction, best ignored!

Hope your ok. I have one of those alarms, your welcome to have if you haven't managed to get one.

It is entirely appropriate if you consider that someone is acting suspiciously to notify those competent to come to a considered judgement about this; clearly others too had a concern.

However we should be wary of ourselves leaping to conclusions (as opposed to suspicions) without clear evidence. We are increasingly being sensitised to treat others with suspicion, and to assume the possibility of the worst of motives. There are people out there who are odd, or different, or ?look? threatening but in fact are not a threat to anyone (except, sadly, sometimes, to themselves).

Raising a concern is good; coming to premature conclusions (and then, in some cases, though evidently not this, acting on them) is how ?innocent? people ? crippled, mentally ill, physically ill sometimes, end up being beaten up and injured. Even, recent cases would suggest, informed people such as the police cannot distinguish between someone who is threatening and dangerous and someone with autism.

Be wary, absolutely yes, but avoid being judgemental in the absence of clear facts or knowledge. Alert others to the possibility of a problem, yes, but don't start a witch-hunt (which I don't believe the OP was in any way trying to do)

Mr Penguin68 I could not have put it better myself, i apologise if i hurt the OP feelings but, sometimes when i read some of the things on this message board it makes me cringe, London is full of odd people, if the police were called every time someone does something a little odd or strange they would be snowed under.

This part of south London is known for it's large number of care in the community cases and it seems like a few of them frequent this forum. LOL

I second Penguin68's post. I too felt that that OP and subsequent messages of support were tending to encourage undue suspicion of strangers.

This is to the detriment of true community spirit and potentially discourages individuals from coming to the aid or support of others - particularly vulnerable others, in case their motives are questioned.

I agree that witch hunts are to be avoided, but the OP was clearly intimidated, on more than one occasion, and I think the man's behaviour does sound odd.

Now maybe he is care in the community, and meant no harm at all, but maybe he wasn't. I think if I was a woman taking my kid to that playground on my own, I'd rather know about this, not so I could take my pitch fork, but just so I could be aware.

Unlike those above, I promote people to be cautious of strangers and always on your toes when your human instinct kicks in and you suspect someone of being threatening or ever so slighty dodgy. Many of the middle-class people in ED, with the greatest respect, tend to live in a fantasy wet behind the ears world where e regime is lovely and you won't come across harm if your nice to people etc - this is London, it's been a vile, corrupt, suspicious and crime ridden city for centuries, it's not the home-counties, always be on your guard.

Louisa.

*Bob* as much as it pains me to constantly reflect upon the many naive traits of the middle classes, I feel as though I have been doing them a service since 2007. Who else would publicy shame a yummy mummy for picking daffodils on goose green? Or feel the urge to lay down the facts about the reality of London being a nasty place? Some, not all, of said community would happily see the demise of Le Moulin with not a jot of consideration for the many committed local residents such as myself who have salves tirelessly over decades to promote it's very existence, thaw supporting a local business, not proping up 'selective' independent traders just because they sell organic pork chops. Rant over.

Louisa.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well you can hardly be working class if you have

> time to waste on here writing drivel!

At what point did I point out being working class? And drivel, judging by your previous posts on this and other topics you may well want to take a leaf out of your own book!

Louisa.

It was at the top of Lordship Lane.

I had no idea it had gone the way of an East Dulwich Daffodil, so inconspicuous was its presence!!

Never again shall I partake of it's prawn cocktail starter and Angel Delight from the sweet trolley :(

It was a decent independently owned restaurant, but because it didn't 'fit in' with te image the new middle class residents wanted to promote of ED, it failed to survive the onslaught of drastically changing trends. Like many of the peculiarities of middle class folk, they pick and choose which 'indy' shops fit in with their remit, and equally re same with chain stores/restaurants. A real shame, a real local business. But oh well, as long we have gourmet burgers and organic cat litter who cares eh? Long live Clapham!

Louisa.