The Old Jaflong Restaurant to become a Pizza place

DulwichFox

Christ she is back back and despite all promises to the contrary it?s the same old finger wagging and tired nonsense

Every effort to explain herself just ends up in a bigger wormhole

Brits like pizza. Don?t blame dulwich. Go to a working class down of your choice up north - pizzas a gogo no matter how financially hard up the area

But no - we have to listen to the same strawman, contrived nonsense.

Lou you can do much better than this. Give up these dead horses

This makes no sense. Either you?re ignorant or being deliberately perverse. I?ve never been to Franco Manca (for example) but students and lower income people seem to swear by it because they say it?s great quality at a great price. Equally, ?well off foodies? seem to love it too.

I say hats off to the likes of FM for making themselves attractive to everyone regardless of income.

You seem to be confusing trendy with pricey, you need to bring yourself up to date.

Loutwo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You?re conveniently missing my point entirely.

> Certain establishments attract a certain

> clientele. Sourdough/artisan/stonbaked whatever

> name you wish to give it, pizza, tends to pull a

> certain class of foodie. Something a Toby Carvery

> or a Chiquitos would not do, May I add. It?s not

> just about the price, it?s about the branding and

> marketing. The bigger point is of course, why do

> we need another example of the same bland thing?

> Some variety would be nice. But apparently,

> wealthy foodies like to berate everyone else for

> what they eat, but are happy to indulge in pizza

> when it suits.

>

> Louisa.

>

>

> HelBel65 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Still trying to understand why a new pizza

> place

> > would attract ?wealthy foodies and no one else?

> > but you?ve conveniently skipped that point.

> >

> >

> > Loutwo Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Pizza is a snack. It?s not a dinner.

> > >

> > > Anyone who says otherwise, needs to speak to

> > > someone from Italy for confirmation. They?ll

> > tell

> > > you the same.

> > >

> > > The market is saturated locally, let?s have

> > > something different with imagination and

> flare.

> > > Come on is that too much to ask in 2019?

> > Northcote

> > > Road Light is what LL has become.

> > >

> > > Louisa.

I?ve had enough of this. I am simply expressing an opinion about pizza and retail diversity. What?s the big crime? Pizza has its place, yes it?s popular, but if we swopped the word pizza for ?betting shop? or ?charity shop?, the usual candidates would be up in arms about the death of our valued high street. Well guess what? These establishments are also popular for many, and yet conveniently in ED we have to put up and shut up about pizza establishments because they?re trendy. But god forbid we have to put up with more betting shops or nail parlours.

Hypocrisy stinks. And it seems to be in abundance on this forum.

Louisa.

Unbelievable. Lou, if you don?t like pizza you are well within your rights to say so

It?s the weird obsession with class you are being called out on and you constantly ignore it

I?ll say it again. Brits love pizza

Not just middle class, trendy types. Everyone. The streets of Rotherham are paved with pizza places. It?s cheap, filling and tasty. You don?t like pizza. Fine. But leave your weird class fetish out of it

DulwichFox Wrote:

> The Last time I ate Pizza in a Sit Down Pizza

> place

>

> was at The Chicago Pizza Pie Factory in Hanover

> Square W1. 1977 ish

>

> Garlic Mushrooms and Margarita Pizza. Probable

> with Sol beer.

>

> Frigging Bees Knees back then

>

> Don,t think it is still there.

So more than 40 years ago you ate pizza and it was the bees knees, so you never ate it again and instead went on some anti pizza rant?

Loutwo Wrote:

> But apparently,wealthy foodies like to berate everyone else for

> what they eat, but are happy to indulge in pizza

> when it suits.

>

> Louisa.

>

>

Steady on now, calling people out for eating pizza when then they fancy eating pizza is pretty strong stuff

pk Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> -----

> > The Last time I ate Pizza in a Sit Down Pizza

> > place

> >

> > was at The Chicago Pizza Pie Factory in

> Hanover

> > Square W1. 1977 ish

> >

> > Garlic Mushrooms and Margarita Pizza. Probable

> > with Sol beer.

> >

> > Frigging Bees Knees back then

> >

> > Don,t think it is still there.

>

> So more than 40 years ago you ate pizza and it was

> the bees knees, so you never ate it again and

> instead went on some anti pizza rant?

NO The Chicago Pizza Pie Factory was supposed to be The Bees Knees back then.

It was 'Trendy' with loud music.

I think I may of eaten a Pizza in Bromley back in the 70's

It was never a favourite of mine, I was with a group of people who wanted Pizza.

I'm not on an anti Pizza rant. I still buy Pizza (Margarita) from the Supermarket

But I get 2 meals out of a 9" Pizza. I just find it too filling. I am a Small eater and Diabetic.

I could Never eat a whole Pizza from Franco Manca. but I do not think their Pizzas are expensive.

Some Pizza delivery places ARE a con.

DulwichFox.

It will either thrive or fail, if the owners have done their research right and the offering is good or better than what's here it will thrive , but judging it before it has a chance is just typical of forum users.

I sometimes feel you all would be happy when all local businesses have failed and you can whine about the empty derelict high street and what can we do to attract shops back !

I remember them good old days when you could have a gander down LL, have a bit of banter with that diamond geezer Mad Frankie Fraser, have 16 pints at one of those great old fashioned boozers, followed by a punch up outside and then a lovely big bag of fish and chips. Now all them boozers are gone and replaced by poncy gastro pubs filled with middle class hipsters who have moved into ED as recently as 1995. You can't get any bread and dripping but are forced to eat pesto until it's coming out of your years.

What next? Passports for working class people who want to enter LL? At least when we leave the EU, we'll get our pounds, shillings and pence back.

?I sometimes feel you all would be happy when all local businesses have failed and you can whine about the empty derelict high street and what can we do to attract shops back !?

this.

If we brought the high st back to 1990 status, the same whiners would still be whining.

I?m not whining about anything. I?m simply stating the obvious.

We don?t need more of the same. Whatever that may be. Diversity in retail is key to the success of any high street. Come back in five years when this pizza craze has died off. What happens to those valuable retail spots then? I bet none of you have thought of that?

Btw I knew someone had to bring Brexit into this. I voted for it, but changed my mind soon after. I am not pro-Brexit by any stretch of the imagination. So please stop using that stick to bash me with, but I suppose it?s an easy target for wealthy foodies, when we all know they?re the biggest hypocrites walking.

Louisa.

The reason I brought Brexit into it is because In your case, it?s the same muddled thinking than brought you to vote leave

Even in that last post you ignore my previous points and bang on about wealthy foodies. It?s a deranged angle

You are in safer ground with homogenous high streets - but don?t blame people liking pizza for that. Pizza restaurants open because rich and poor can go experience a meal for relatively little money

I was at a down at heel pub near herstmonceaux last week. They sold pizzas. The clientele were either very elderly or young kids for the most part. All were far from wealthy. Most looked hard up. But they were having pizza. Because they wanted to

John I am not coming at this from a anclass angle. I am genuinely asking why we need so many of the same thing? But equally, if the cap fits then I will call people out on it.

I guarantee inner London has more of these small chain pizza places than most other places in the U.K., not to mention the equally as expensive take away bulky unhealthier options which are probably aimed at working class people. It?s not about class, it?s about gastronomic diversity. If we keep allowing pizzerias to open up on LL we will end up with nothing else. Much like so many people claim our collection of Indian restaurants is awful, but are happy to stand by pizza because it?s trendy. And yes, wealthy foodies encourage this attitude. You know this as much as me. Let?s not ignore the elephant in the room forever.

Louisa.

Lou. Only you (and maybe Himself) are talking about wealth, foodies and connecting them to pizza

To claim you aren?t bringing class into this is disingenuous. But it is your MO

AS I say, you are on safer ground when you stick to high street diversity as a general rule

I?d like a Mexican on the lane. And there have been Mexican restaurants. Not good ones for sure. But no one is preventing one opening. It?s not a scam. It?s not a ruse. Wealthy foodies like good Mexican restaurants too.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> Hopefully when the new pizza restauarant opens

> they will put in nice big sliding windows at the

> front so all the wealthy foodies can strike

> look-at-me poses for the hoi poloi who have come

> to see then eating posh cheese in toast.

Please don't encourage her :))

I already have deja vu .....

Walked past earlier and was reading the sign in the window. I think it will be a eat in venue, but evidently not huge. Unless of course there is room to expand at the rear of the retail property?

Louisa.

Loutwo Wrote:

> Walked past earlier and was reading the sign in

> the window. I think it will be a eat in venue, but

> evidently not huge. Unless of course there is room

> to expand at the rear of the retail property?

>

> Louisa.

Hi Lou.

Back in the day Ali wanted to expand to the rear and put the Kitchen down below.

He asked me if I would be interested to come on board and help fund the project but I declined.

It would of cost a lot of money.. ?100k. ???

Foxy