The Old Jaflong Restaurant to become a Pizza place

DulwichFox

fishbiscuits Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Italians don't eat pizza for a meal... bloody

> hell.. why pretend to know about something (in an

> apparent attempt to insult the tastes of others)

> when you obviously have no clue what you are

> talking about.

>

> Same old bollocks.

Yes indeed, same old bollocks from you. Apparently someone who takes their family to Terroirs for lunch/dinner. You really do come out with some utter tripe don?t you? Hope you

Enjoy your biscuits smothered in fish :)

Louisa.

fishbiscuits hasn't trolled you at all here - the man knows his food

It's not trolling to say someone is talking bollox when that is what they do - you have no basis for saying pizza is just a snack in Italy. It's nonsense. As your repeated claims that it's a wealthy, foody fad. You have yet to address saying (more than once) that it is just as popular across poor communities across the country

You are way off beam on this on, and have strapped on your haughty pants, just like the old days

Chill

Loutwo Wrote:

> Pizzas are awful. Unhealthy, full of fat and bad

> carbs. Basically a dolled up bit of Welsh

> Rarebit.

>

> If this continues, our high street will be the

> exclusive destination for wealthy foodies and no

> one else. Sad news.

>

> Louisa.

but sweets are more unhealthy, more full of bad carbs, less of a meal, more overpriced (at the new shop)

plus the new sweet shop is part of a (much) bigger organisation than 500 degrees

and there are already many, many more places to buy sweets in the area than there are pizza, including many independent retailers

but somehow you think a new sweet shop is 'lovely' and a new pizza shop is a terrible disaster for LL

is it just that you like sweets more than pizza?

Sephiroth Wrote:

> fishbiscuits hasn't trolled you at all here - the

> man knows his food

>

> It's not trolling to say someone is talking bollox

> when that is what they do - you have no basis for

> saying pizza is just a snack in Italy. It's

> nonsense. As your repeated claims that it's a

> wealthy, foody fad. You have yet to address saying

> (more than once) that it is just as popular across

> poor communities across the country

>

> You are way off beam on this on, and have strapped

> on your haughty pants, just like the old days

>

> Chill

No, read back over fishbiscuits previous posts, you?ll soon get a rough idea of what I?m saying. Snobby, self righteous nonsense. Another look at me foodie type.

When I am referring to pizza restaurants, I am clearly talking about British attempts to recreate authentic stonebaked whatever you wish to call it, a traditional pizza experience. I am not referring to the bulky, fatty, salty unhealthier crap served up by chains as take away food. All of it is overpriced IMO, but the wealthy foodie variety takes up more space along a useful high street than some tucked away trading estate serving up take away style pizza.

Louisa.

I think one would have to have been more wealthy to dine a Jaflong than at 500 degrees.

The cheapest main course I can find on the current Jaflong takeaway menu (and I assume dining in costs more)is ?6 25pence. Compared to ??5 35pence to dine in at 500 Degrees.

Regardless, it is a good thing for all the other businesses in Lordship lane (apart form maybe franco manca) that a restaurant that has laid empty for tree years will now have a tennant.

Y A W N

On LL there are a few sit down pizza places, a lot of sit down curry places, a decent number of pubs in which you can eat pub food. There?s Thai, tapas, Japanese, burgers, vegetarian, sit down and takeaway Chinese, cafes where you can eat, a place that just sells quiche... I?ve probably missed something out but really, what is your problem Louisa with a new sit down pizza place? Are we not allowed choice in your version of the world? Heaven forfend, there?s more than one chemist, more than one newsagent, card shop, dry cleaner, hairdresser, clothes shops, off-license, bank! Obviously the high street can support these variations of similar outlets.

Go and eat where you like and stop judging and moaning and complaining and criticising and being just so B O R I N G

joom Wrote:

> Y A W N

> On LL there are a few sit down pizza places, a lot

> of sit down curry places, a decent number of pubs

> in which you can eat pub food. There?s Thai,

> tapas, Japanese, burgers, vegetarian, sit down and

> takeaway Chinese, cafes where you can eat, a place

> that just sells quiche... I?ve probably missed

> something out but really, what is your problem

> Louisa with a new sit down pizza place? Are we not

> allowed choice in your version of the world?

> Heaven forfend, there?s more than one chemist,

> more than one newsagent, card shop, dry cleaner,

> hairdresser, clothes shops, off-license, bank!

> Obviously the high street can support these

> variations of similar outlets.

> Go and eat where you like and stop judging and

> moaning and complaining and criticising and being

> just so B O R I N G

I am not playing your trolling game. I am entitled to my opinions on this. Retail diversity is part of the councils long term plan, don?t take my word for it. Do some research. However, it appears LL is allowed to be overwhelmed by restaurants in this time of high rents and dying diversity. We are in need of many many things locally, and restaurants in my opinion are luxury options, not everyone can afford to have dinner out every night of the week. So more restaurants will only isolate and make our high street less useable for more socio economic groups who need other options.

Louisa.

?Clearly?

?Wealthy foody variety? (I think she means healthier. Is that good or bad? Who knows with Lou)

?Taking up space?

The usual mixed bag, piled high with self-contradictory takes, existing for no greater purpose other than Lou can say she is sticking it to... well, I?m never sure

But still, you?re back now Louisa. No need for you begging any more. Gates are open again

I am not playing your trolling game. I am entitled to my opinions on this. Retail diversity is part of the councils long term plan, don?t take my word for it. Do some research. However, it appears LL is allowed to be overwhelmed by restaurants in this time of high rents and dying diversity. We are in need of many many things locally, and restaurants in my opinion are luxury options, not everyone can afford to have dinner out every night of the week. So more restaurants will only isolate and make our high street less useable for more socio economic groups who need other options.

Me trolling???! Seriously??!!!

I think you?ll find the internet has a lot to do with the changes on the high street and resulting impossible high rents, out-of-town retail parks also put paid to diversity of shops in towns. Food and drink is cheap to buy and can make a good profit for a cafe/restaraunt/bar.

What are we in need of locally that can?t be bought online or elsewhere more cheaply? I?m interested to know what you think that is.

joom Wrote:

> I am not playing your trolling game. I am entitled

> to my opinions on this. Retail diversity is part

> of the councils long term plan, don?t take my word

> for it. Do some research. However, it appears LL

> is allowed to be overwhelmed by restaurants in

> this time of high rents and dying diversity. We

> are in need of many many things locally, and

> restaurants in my opinion are luxury options, not

> everyone can afford to have dinner out every night

> of the week. So more restaurants will only isolate

> and make our high street less useable for more

> socio economic groups who need other options.

>

>

> Me trolling???! Seriously??!!!

>

> I think you?ll find the internet has a lot to do

> with the changes on the high street and resulting

> impossible high rents, out-of-town retail parks

> also put paid to diversity of shops in towns. Food

> and drink is cheap to buy and can make a good

> profit for a cafe/restaraunt/bar.

>

> What are we in need of locally that can?t be

> bought online or elsewhere more cheaply? I?m

> interested to know what you think that is.

Sorry, I?m just getting defensive because everyone?s attacking me. I?m not trying to cause arguments here, I am just easily triggered.

In response to your question, a decent pound shop would be handy. Somewhere to pop to buy everyday items at a knock down price. Batteries, tea, biscuits, umbrellas etc. The shops we have locally sell this stuff but at hugely inflated cost. We need some decent high street clothing chains. A river island, small next or topshop would be handy. Not everyone does ?online?, and since the loss of Iceland it?s become more of a struggle for older people who don?t navigate online shopping so easily. People on a budget locally have to travel to peckham for certain day to day essentials, or risking paying inflated local prices. It might sound trivial, but it does appear LL is the exclusive domain for people who like eating out in expensive restaurants.

Louisa.

pk Wrote:

> Loutwo Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Pizzas are awful. Unhealthy, full of fat and

> bad

> > carbs. Basically a dolled up bit of Welsh

> > Rarebit.

> >

> > If this continues, our high street will be the

> > exclusive destination for wealthy foodies and

> no

> > one else. Sad news.

> >

> > Louisa.

>

> but sweets are more unhealthy, more full of bad

> carbs, less of a meal, more overpriced (at the new

> shop)

>

> plus the new sweet shop is part of a (much) bigger

> organisation than 500 degrees

>

> and there are already many, many more places to

> buy sweets in the area than there are pizza,

> including many independent retailers

>

>

> but somehow you think a new sweet shop is 'lovely'

> and a new pizza shop is a terrible disaster for

> LL

>

>

> is it just that you like sweets more than pizza?

Don?t I get an answer?

Still doubling down Louisa ?

25 quid is cheap compared to many (most?) places targeted at the hard-up working classes. Pick a blue collar sit-down chain. (Beefeater? Wimpy? Wetherspoons which is a pub not a restaurant but still)

How much would it cost you for a family of 4?

Stop being a dick about this

pk Wrote:

> pk Wrote:

> -----

> > Loutwo Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Pizzas are awful. Unhealthy, full of fat and

> > bad

> > > carbs. Basically a dolled up bit of Welsh

> > > Rarebit.

> > >

> > > If this continues, our high street will be

> the

> > > exclusive destination for wealthy foodies and

> > no

> > > one else. Sad news.

> > >

> > > Louisa.

> >

> > but sweets are more unhealthy, more full of bad

> > carbs, less of a meal, more overpriced (at the

> new

> > shop)

> >

> > plus the new sweet shop is part of a (much)

> bigger

> > organisation than 500 degrees

> >

> > and there are already many, many more places to

> > buy sweets in the area than there are pizza,

> > including many independent retailers

> >

> >

> > but somehow you think a new sweet shop is

> 'lovely'

> > and a new pizza shop is a terrible disaster for

> > LL

> >

> >

> > is it just that you like sweets more than

> pizza?

>

> Don?t I get an answer?

The sweet shop is something unique we don?t already have. Pizza restaurants are not unique we have plenty of them. I?ve explained all this. Stop being obtuse.

Louisa.

Sephiroth Wrote:

> Still doubling down Louisa ?

>

> 25 quid is cheap compared to many (most?) places

> targeted at the hard-up working classes. Pick a

> blue collar sit-down chain. (Beefeater? Wimpy?

> Wetherspoons which is a pub not a restaurant but

> still)

>

> How much would it cost you for a family of 4?

>

> Stop being a dick about this

Interesting that your miraculous ?25 doesn?t seem to include drinks. Are we sticking with just four ordinary cheese pizzas? Or are we putting fancy toppings on? Also, the nearest Wetherspoons are a bus ride away, and many of their options include a drink with the food. I?m not being a dick, I?m being realistic.

Louisa.

25 quid is 25 quid. You are the one who said people couldn?t afford it. Stop shifting the goalposts

What?s a ?fancy? topping? Is it fancy if it?s in a pizza joint but not fancy if it?s in a spoons. You are the person who defines pizza as ?cheese on toast? so let?s say they are plain pizzas

Is the bill materially different if I eat at 500 degrees or a Louisa-approved joint?

I?m not shifting any goal posts. I said wealthy foodies could afford it, and that LL was becoming an exclusive haunt for their ilk. If you think a regular family of four can afford ?25 a night for a meal then I seriously think you need to get a new calculator! Also, as I previously explained, Wetherspoons do a variety of different meals, often which include alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks for a set price. In fact, I think they even sell pizza with a drink!

There is no such thing as a Louisa approved restaurant, as you well know since Le Moulin closed I have struggled to find the same level of warmth and hospitality locally. But that?s just my opinion. It?s not all about me. It?s about a useable high street with variety of choice. More pizza doesn?t add to that mix. Wealthy foodies will be salivating, but most of us are sighing into our Pinot.

Louisa.

25 quid. A night???

I missed the bit where I said that. But then again, it will serve as a useful example of you shifting the goalposts

I don?t deny spoons so decent deals btw. I?m just saying it doesn?t work out any cheaper. And few could afford to eat in a spoons every night either

But which of your pizza restaurants include a drink? A family on a budget will often struggle to add drinks onto that. You?ll easily be looking at 35/40 quid with drinks. Possibly more. And personally, I?m not sure most people would feel satisfied on a artisan pizza. I?d probably pop to the kebab shop on the way home.

Louisa.

Loutwo Wrote:

> pk Wrote:

> -----

> > pk Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Loutwo Wrote:

> > >

> >

>

> >

> > > -----

> > > > Pizzas are awful. Unhealthy, full of fat

> and

> > > bad

> > > > carbs. Basically a dolled up bit of Welsh

> > > > Rarebit.

> > > >

> > > > If this continues, our high street will be

> > the

> > > > exclusive destination for wealthy foodies

> and

> > > no

> > > > one else. Sad news.

> > > >

> > > > Louisa.

> > >

> > > but sweets are more unhealthy, more full of

> bad

> > > carbs, less of a meal, more overpriced (at

> the

> > new

> > > shop)

> > >

> > > plus the new sweet shop is part of a (much)

> > bigger

> > > organisation than 500 degrees

> > >

> > > and there are already many, many more places

> to

> > > buy sweets in the area than there are pizza,

> > > including many independent retailers

> > >

> > >

> > > but somehow you think a new sweet shop is

> > 'lovely'

> > > and a new pizza shop is a terrible disaster

> for

> > > LL

> > >

> > >

> > > is it just that you like sweets more than

> > pizza?

> >

> > Don?t I get an answer?

>

> The sweet shop is something unique we don?t

> already have. Pizza restaurants are not unique we

> have plenty of them. I?ve explained all this. Stop

> being obtuse.

>

> Louisa.

But there?re loads of places to buy expensive sweets which are very bad for people already?

Is it unique cos it only sells expensive things that are bad for people and nothing of any real nutritional value (and is part of a hundred strong network)?