Next door neighbour constantly smoking Cannabis in back garden

All the poor insensitive jokes aside - there are many people who have bad lungs yet wish to stay in the city - living in the countryside with bad lungs can be just as bad because of pollen. Dust doesn't discriminate either. Whatever the neighbour was smoking if I had to breathe it in it would be a huge issue for me. I hope this can be resolved for you. Definitely sensitively approach neighbour first with a smile and maybe a gift of a beer or something similar as a way of breaking ice? May sound silly but it can work.

• 1 month later...
Really? hope that this is the case as our council neighbour has been nuisance for the past 20+ years to the previous owners, the first owner had to get police involved etc, we of course were not fully briefed by the people we bought the house from but now we are getting a taste of her... screaming, slamming doors, knocking on walls around 1am and smoking cannabis.... council is ignoring our emails and we are actually worried as she is aggressive as well.... so let's hope their ignorance to our emails means that they are busy putting an eviction plan together!

A thought that struck me a few days ago after getting a noseful of cigarette smoke walking along LL -- exhaled smoke of any sort would presumably be an excellent vector for viruses, hanging about in the air as it does for several seconds.

I'm not sure that there is any scientific basis in this!

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A thought that struck me a few days ago after

> getting a noseful of cigarette smoke walking

> along LL -- exhaled smoke of any sort would

> presumably be an excellent vector for viruses,

> hanging about in the air as it does for several

> seconds.

lzavodna Wrote:

> Really? hope that this is the case as our council

> neighbour has been nuisance for the past 20+ years

> to the previous owners, the first owner had to get

> police involved etc, we of course were not fully

> briefed by the people we bought the house from but

> now we are getting a taste of her... screaming,

> slamming doors, knocking on walls around 1am and

> smoking cannabis.... council is ignoring our

> emails and we are actually worried as she is

> aggressive as well.... so let's hope their

> ignorance to our emails means that they are busy

> putting an eviction plan together!

She could be a vulnerable adult and there is nowhere else to put her. The council has a duty of care and the housing waiting list is massive

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s39335/Appendix%201%20Annex%2011%20-%20Lettings%20Review%20Survey.pdf

My downstairs neighbour is smoking weed frequently in their lounge, which can be smelt strongly in our lounge. It is a terrible intrusion and often gives headaches. The tenant is aggressive and anti-social, and has been bullying(and worse) before. Is it worth trying to say anything, or going to the police about it? I would say it is anti-social so maybe relevant for an ABSO?

It?s all tricky

I?m quite shocked at some of the messages people have posted

I guess if there is not a genuine reason for the smoking then it shouldn?t affect your life

I think speak open and honestly

Judge response

Then react accordingly

• 7 months later...
Reminds me of the late 1980s Spitting Image sketch with Jason and Phil, they proclaim their heterosexuality and doing it with girls, or some similar phrase. If this looks a bit weird I am replying a marketing post about some legal high that has now been taken down.

• 7 months later...

Did anyone get a resolution to the cannabis smoking... currently having the same problems with a nightmare neighbour.

PlantPower Wrote:

> My downstairs neighbour is smoking weed frequently

> in their lounge, which can be smelt strongly in

> our lounge. It is a terrible intrusion and often

> gives headaches. The tenant is aggressive and

> anti-social, and has been bullying(and worse)

> before. Is it worth trying to say anything, or

> going to the police about it? I would say it is

> anti-social so maybe relevant for an ABSO?

Yep tell police there dealing drugs

We have it on off have talked to tenant says medical reasons agreed smoke it away from house but at times forgets.

Abusive boyfriend also smokes it wherever feels like but not for pain.

Mines agreed put bench end garden away from house.

Not done as yet last night felt physically sick smell coming in bedroom kitchen.

Its the smell it's so potent u know its weed because normal cigarette other neighbours smoke doesn't bother us.

They put super thick high fence up that is a option to block smell.

Countrlass22 Wrote:

> Yep tell police there dealing drugs

>

> We have it on off have talked to tenant says

> medical reasons agreed smoke it away from house

> but at times forgets.

> Abusive boyfriend also smokes it wherever feels

> like but not for pain.

> Mines agreed put bench end garden away from

> house.

> Not done as yet last night felt physically sick

> smell coming in bedroom kitchen.

> Its the smell it's so potent u know its weed

> because normal cigarette other neighbours

> smoke doesn't bother us.

> They put super thick high fence up that is a

> option to block smell.

But what if they aren't "dealing drugs"?

Cannabis is illegal ig is a drug

To use ond has known drug dealers persons who smoke that much aren't for health police know to go in looking evidence further drugs shouting obscenities another clue also anti social behaviour.

If u don't want help it why bother posting

Had this issue in past, all they do is discreet ask check property due to smell.

Obviously not a 999 call

Go speak to neighbours 1st off

Fee times if needs be

Jeez what happened to live and let live? From your writing I wonder if you have been at the pot?

Countrlass22 Wrote:

> Cannabis is illegal ig is a drug

>

> To use ond has known drug dealers persons who

> smoke that much aren't for health police know to

> go in looking evidence further drugs shouting

> obscenities another clue also anti social

> behaviour.

> If u don't want help it why bother posting

>

> Had this issue in past, all they do is discreet

> ask check property due to smell.

> Obviously not a 999 call

>

> Go speak to neighbours 1st off

> Fee times if needs be

I wouldn't want to have you as a neighbour you sound like a right piece of work.

I came here to ask advice from my community not to spread unfound lies about my neighbours and make matters worse!

And FYI cannabis maybe illegal but you are allowed to have certain amount in your possession without recourse so technically it is the landlord who has to prove it its not down to the police. The landlord has been very unhelpful in respect of my antisocial claim.

Nah, people who?ve been on the pot don?t concoct falsehoods to incriminate strangers.

Sounds like she needs a big sweet doobie though to chill TF out !! 🤣

Chick Wrote:

> Jeez what happened to live and let live? From your

> writing I wonder if you have been at the pot?

>

>

>

> Countrlass22 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Cannabis is illegal ig is a drug

> >

> > To use ond has known drug dealers persons who

> > smoke that much aren't for health police know

> to

> > go in looking evidence further drugs shouting

> > obscenities another clue also anti social

> > behaviour.

> > If u don't want help it why bother posting

> >

> > Had this issue in past, all they do is

> discreet

> > ask check property due to smell.

> > Obviously not a 999 call

> >

> > Go speak to neighbours 1st off

> > Fee times if needs be

Have you tried speaking to the Anti social behaviour officer in Southwark Council. Trying to remember her name as she was a frequent attendee at the SNT Ward Meetings prior to lockdown. She dealt with concerns relating to drugs.

Seenbeen, have experienced the same problem, it unfortunately only ended when the drug user moved away. I wouldn't hold out for any help from the police. We had drug user who started smoking heavily in the closed basement well of flats, at the back, causing heavy pollution in couple of flats above him.

When asked about it, he said he used to smoke outside at the front, in the basement courtyard there. He was keeping it away from his own 6 year old kid. Police were passing one day and told him to do it somewhere less obvious. There's a wide road at the front of the flats, and a large open space opposite, and when he did it at the front, no one had noticed.

So what the police did was to cause the activity to move to where it became a problem for several people above and also must have affected the drug user's child.

I can highly recommend the IQAir air filter, these clean the air beautifully. It's like breathing country air and I'm really glad I got it anyway, you soon realise the effect that breathing polluted air has been having. They are expensive but I got a perfectly good one second hand on ebay for ?200. Then ?250 a year for the essential filter (if you have the money you can add other filters).