Sainsburys - removed more trolley tills

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My Phone App says "Scan your Items, pay in the

> app and walk out"

>

> So no smart checkout - just all iPhone Apple Pay.

It can't all be for iPhones, surely.

Many of us have Android :)

JohnL Wrote:

> My Phone App says "Scan your Items, pay in the

> app and walk out"

>

> So no smart checkout - just all iPhone Apple Pay.

They already have smart checkouts installed awaiting the roll out in June.

Sue Wrote:

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > My Phone App says "Scan your Items, pay in the

> > app and walk out"

> >

> > So no smart checkout - just all iPhone Apple

> Pay.

>

>

> It can't all be for iPhones, surely.

>

> Many of us have Android :)

Of course :) - It'll be Apple Pay or Google Pay. Here it is in the Google Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sainsburys.ssa&hl=en_GB

Not being funny how much time will it save you, if you plan on going shopping you obviously are not rushing to get to an appointment afterwards.

How dare they presume everyone has this boring technology, does it take that much time paying by cash. This is obviously so the staff doesn't need to touch your money which is why all the staff wear winter gloves.

Also noticed the tills which used to be blocked off with trolleys near the toilets now look half the width of a normal counter. Its

All the cabbages and cauliflower are loose now and everyone can touch them.. it's stupid and a waste of time as they are not saving the use of plastic as you need to put your item in a plastic bag and now put a sticker on it with a barcode on it. Where as the plastic bag covering the cauliflower before already had the barrcode on it.

It's too hot down the vegetable isle the vegetables are going off quickly.

Anything has got to be better than the assault on our senses being perpetrated over at M&S. They have X-Factor celebs voicing the self-service checkouts. Who?s shouting at us excitedly today, to insert your card NOW in the Lordship Lane foodhall? Ant and bloody Dec, that?s who. I only went in for granola, I?ve come out with palpitations.

I use the M&S in Victoria Station and last week a customer asking for assistance on a self serve till had to wait until the voices finished shouting their message before the assistance could hear her.

About ten years ago my wife and I attended a Sainsbury focus group meeting. The virtually unanimous view expressed at the meeting was that we wanted better customer service with more staffed checkouts. The meeting was clearly a waste of time and money for Sainsbury's since very soon afterwards self checkouts started to proliferate. The situation has of course become much worse since then.

This morning at Sainsburys was a joke.

The large self service checkouts have been cut back to 4.

2 only for cash and 2 for cards. That is it. Ask a Manger and they say its not us.

It took one person 20 minutes to look at her shopping decide what bag it should go in, another person did not have her card and went off to find money in all 25 minutes, no one using the cash tills.

In effect the tills were shut down

Almost as though, if you don't want to shop and pay the way we want you to, it'll take you longer to use our standard and reduced self service checkouts. Thanks Sainsbury's , seems like you really want to help customers, NOT.

spider69 Wrote:

> This morning at Sainsburys was a joke.

>

> The large self service checkouts have been cut

> back to 4.

>

> 2 only for cash and 2 for cards. That is it. Ask

> a Manger and they say its not us.

>

> It took one person 20 minutes to look at her

> shopping decide what bag it should go in, another

> person did not have her card and went off to find

> money in all 25 minutes, no one using the cash

> tills.

>

> In effect the tills were shut down

That's the people, not the facilities; people stand there gormlessly in the queue and it gets to the point they need to pay and they appear surprised that money is required. Cue a shuffle through the 17 pockets of their "organiser" (ha!) handbag, a decision as to whether to pay by credit or debit card or maybe they start counting out the change and then realise as they get to ?17.34 that they're 50p short and they go back to the card.

You get similar in airports as people try to find the ONE document that they need - a passport - and it takes a trawl through 14 pockets and 5 minutes of panic.

exdulwicher Wrote:

> spider69 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > This morning at Sainsburys was a joke.

> >

> > The large self service checkouts have been cut

> > back to 4.

> >

> > 2 only for cash and 2 for cards. That is it.

> Ask

> > a Manger and they say its not us.

> >

> > It took one person 20 minutes to look at her

> > shopping decide what bag it should go in,

> another

> > person did not have her card and went off to

> find

> > money in all 25 minutes, no one using the cash

> > tills.

> >

> > In effect the tills were shut down

>

> That's the people, not the facilities; people

> stand there gormlessly in the queue and it gets to

> the point they need to pay and they appear

> surprised that money is required. Cue a shuffle

> through the 17 pockets of their "organiser" (ha!)

> handbag, a decision as to whether to pay by credit

> or debit card or maybe they start counting out the

> change and then realise as they get to ?17.34 that

> they're 50p short and they go back to the card.

>

> You get similar in airports as people try to find

> the ONE document that they need - a passport - and

> it takes a trawl through 14 pockets and 5 minutes

> of panic.

It's the children causing chaos this week - or it was in Iceland - but it's half term isn't it (and not having children I have no understanding LOL)

I think if people used trolley self check outs for trolleys and basket self checkout for baskets it would be a lot quicker for everyone 🤔 Fed up being behind people with trolleys in basket only checkout when I Only have a few items

The handheld scanners had been installed when I went yesterday.

Here is the link to the Sainsburys website page on SmartShop https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/get-ideas/our-freebies-and-competitions/our-freebies-and-competitions/smartshop-app

There is also a FAQ page (and FAQs in the app)

https://help.sainsburys.co.uk/help/products/smartshop-faq

A few comments / questions on this thread are covered:

- The app works on iPhone and Android

- You will need your Nectar card to pay

Downloading the iPhone app was easy - have your nectar card to hand. There are more FAQs in the app than on the website.

- You pay at a card only SmartShop checkout, SmartShop enabled self checkout (cash or card was an option last time I used one?) or via Apple Pay - if supported in store, no need to use a checkout

This sounds good, but will take some getting used to as self scan did. There are bound to be some teething troubles both technical and user in the first few weeks but if it can improve the queues like yesterday afternoon it will be good. There are more checkouts now than there were when Sainsbury?s opened. Even with every checkout open, and they have been when I?ve been in at busy times, there are queues. If those who want to use SmartShop free up the traditional tills for those who want that option that?s a good thing in my opinion. Time will tell.

Why the hell should we do Sainsbury's work for them? I refuse to use self checkouts. If asked why not, I ask for a 10% discount for doing so. If pushed, I would say that self service shopping was against my religion and would ask them to respect my diversity.

More importantly, what about elderly and disabled people who need help from supermarket staff?

Ed-pete, I started using self service petrol stations more than 50 years ago. You can't compare the simple task of purchasing one item and then paying a real life human being with buying a multitude of items and continual attempts to find and then swipe barcodes accompanied by beeps and the monotonous, patronising voice of a VR woman saying "unidentified item in the bagging area", or whatever phrase they have been programmed to say when the system doesn't work.

But if you're happy to do the supermarket's work for them without receiving a discount for doing so, then that's up to you.

Once again, what about elderly and disabled people who need help from supermarket staff? Aren't they worthy of your consideration?

The queue's there this morning were ridiculous, have never had to wait so long. Ironic that a cost saving measure like this will probably end up losing Sainsbury's a vast amount of customers judging by the comments today.

I am sure I could represent many customers, All I want to do is pick up a trolly, fill it with goods, find a payment aisle or self service, pay and leave.

If people want to use all this new stuff fine but remember many people do not.

I shop on instinct, view into the trolly. unencumbered by a scanner.

I really do think Sainsbury's have lost the plot some where along the line.

ZT - my comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure that this is simply a corporate response to (a) the blocking of the Asda merger, (b) falling market share to the likes of Lidl and Aldi. I have every sympathy for those elderly or disabled customers who would find this service difficult to use. Personally I have used Sainsbury's online service for about 5 years now and although not perfect - and not suitable for everyone - it works for me.