Sainsburys - removed more trolley tills

Saw an elderly lady having trouble scanning her bread at the self service tills. She needed to enter the numbers, but was having trouble seeing them. She called over the worker and you know what this rude arrogant worker said. You have to put the numbers in your self it's not my job to do it for you.

So that means her job role must be security guard as she sure as hell isn't there to help you.

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am just going to continue to shop locally and

> support our high street

I also shop locally in Lordship Lane using my shopping trolley for items I can carry easily but as I have health issues I need to have heavy and bulky stuff delivered. I certainly feel like boycotting Sainsbury?s.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> More importantly, what about elderly and disabled

> people who need help from supermarket staff?

My mother (in her mid-70's) loves them. Going to the normal checkouts, she often finds items being scanned and passed down the conveyor too fast for her to pack them properly and she gets confused and disorientated by that and feels embarrssed at holding up other people in the queue.

Using the scanner, she can pack her shopping logically and carefully, keep an eye on how much she's spending and she just finds it much less stressful.

She uses technology more than I do!

snoopy17 Wrote:

> Saw an elderly lady having trouble scanning her

> bread at the self service tills. She needed to

> enter the numbers, but was having trouble seeing

> them. She called over the worker and you know what

> this rude arrogant worker said. You have to put

> the numbers in your self it's not my job to do it

> for you.

>

> So that means her job role must be security guard

> as she sure as hell isn't there to help you.

They have come rushing over when I get stressed out at the tills (which is as soon as it flashes, beeps and says "unknown item in bagging area") but it depends on the staff member I suppose:)

Once they made me feel like a criminal because I put my pin in wrongly - although the lady who came over rolled her eyes in a way that said "they've taken this mornings security briefing to far"

lol

you don't need a plastic bag to take your shopping home in - and you wash it anyway (don't you?)

There is no need for plastic packaging on veg.

Although back in the day, everyone used to buy their fruit and veg at the market and they would pick it for you, put it into paper bags and off you'd go.

Went to Sainsbury's last night, excited about having been told on here that they were now selling their fruit and veg loose. They had a few courgettes, carrots, cabbages and easy peeler oranges but hardly anything else being sold loose that you couldn't buy before without it being covered in plastic.

They expect you to then put your things in a plastic bag (thus defeating the point of having loose produce) and weigh and put a sticker on them. None of the scales or label printers were working.

All of the new self-scan tills were closed and there were large queues at the very few staffed tills and self-checkouts.

This on a Monday night, when you should be in and out in no time.

If they don't sort this out, they're going to make themselves irrelevant very quickly.

edcam - just to note that with the loose veg (very limited in Sainsbury's) - you can put it straight into your basket / trolley and weigh it loose - you dont have to put it into a bag at all. The scanner weights it and prices it and you dont need another sticker.

If you do want to avoide plastic there are many smaller shops - for example a great one on nunhead lane that sells almost 80% of all its fruit and veg loose / no plastic - and if you do need a bag they have paper ones.

Yes, thanks hazenunhead, that's what I generally do but they're encouraging people to use a plastic bag anyway.

hazelnunhead Wrote:

> edcam - just to note that with the loose veg (very

> limited in Sainsbury's) - you can put it straight

> into your basket / trolley and weigh it loose -

> you dont have to put it into a bag at all. The

> scanner weights it and prices it and you dont need

> another sticker.

>

> If you do want to avoide plastic there are many

> smaller shops - for example a great one on nunhead

> lane that sells almost 80% of all its fruit and

> veg loose / no plastic - and if you do need a bag

> they have paper ones.

Far from it Sue, hardly anything has changed.

Sue Wrote:

> I thought Sainsbury's were supposed to have gone

> plastic free for their loose fruit and veg??

I was at Bell Green Sainsbury's today where they already have Smart Shop. Used the app on my phone, then you go to the till, scan the QR code which is on the till screen and then pay with your card. I didn't see an option to pay with Google Pay without using NFC, so you need your card or phone to complete payment.

I tried out the smart shop at Sainsbury?s DKH this morning. For some reason I was unable to use the app I had downloaded on my phone so used one of the store handsets. Pretty straight forward though will take a bit of getting used to I guess. A third hand would have been useful to hold my shopping list. Also might have to change my normal route so I end up at the fruit and veg so I can put them at the top of the shopping bag to avoid them getting crushed.

• 1 month later...

summerrose Wrote:

> I think if people used trolley self check outs for

> trolleys and basket self checkout for baskets it

> would be a lot quicker for everyone. Fed

> up being behind people with trolleys in basket

> only checkout when I Only have a few items

Ridiculous in the trolley self-checkout today. Only 3 out of 4 tills working ? given there are so many basket checkouts down the other end, why were 2 of the 3 working trolley tills tied up by basket people? I suspect there?s a correlation between people who can?t read the word ?trolley? above the tills, and can?t competently operate the self checkout!