Lyndhurst area SE15

GrumpyGranny

Or

Decent sized victorian houses

Many compulsory purchased by BR in early 80s for channel tunnel link (was going to go underground at Warwick Gardens)

Many then rented out cheaply/Squatted which blighted the whole of the top bit of SE5 and that bit of Peckham made for a bohemian atmosphere - squates etc

Jarvis Coker lived there or went to a party in a squat there (in one of his songs)

When the Channel Tunnel went to Stratford rather than Waterlloo (much to the relief of everyone round here), some astute people bought some very nice but by then rundown property for peanuts

Now all gentrified but a bit duller

Ooo oo miss

*puts hand up*

I did a job there once, gosh yes, lovely house at the end of Lyndhurst Sq

David and erm....can't remember her name, but I do remember him coming to the door wearing a short blue silk ,Japanese print, dressing robe.

I said "Hi Karate" as he opened the door, he said "Sorry" in that way that very bright but completely un-self aware people do

Next day I set the alarm off & the Police turned up in minutes

"Do you know the owner"

"Yes, his name's David and he wears a blue silk Kimono" I said

The neighbor confirmed this and the Police went away

Very nice job it was

Netts:-$

Quids is right, this is how we bought our house there. 5 bedrooms, ?140,000. BR bought it previously for ?430,000 under the compulsory purchase.

The Jarvis Cocker house was nearly opposite ours, he used to go to St Martins with my house mates brother. All my housemates did study sculpture at St Martins - all a bit weird.

Loved living there 1994-98. Wishing Well had a snooker table in them days. Job done!

Before I moved into number 90, Johhny Cigarettes used to live there.

During the War there was a Barrage Balloon sited on a open area on the right as you went up Lyndhurst Grove. In bad weather it was brought down to be tied to the metal rings in the ground. There were many frightening times that the balloon got caught by the strong wind an bounced arround hitting some of the nearby houses.

There was a hut that the Balloon crew lived in, some were Women of the WAAFs, about eight in all.

The Winch lorry had a round drum with cable wound onto it, and it came out to a pulley wheel set in the ground in the middle of the site then was tied to the balloon, the WAAFs untied the dozen securing ropes and the winch opperator gradually let the balloon rise, it looked like a silver fish but had three fins.

If they got shot down the steel cable would drop causing serious injury and damage, the winch driver has a cage over him.

I used to go to a house on the left facing the triangular site, where my older sisters boy friend lived.