Curry Club - Thursday 7 March 2019 - venue TBC

Michael Palaeologus

It was a good evening with Nualacoll, Hibbs, Georgia, Mr Georgia, Mrs CitizenED and me in attendance.

Service in The Pistacchio club was attentive, there was only 1 other small group in the place and when we walked in we were greeted like long lost relatives.

The decor is an interesting mix of modern Indian restaurant - actually quite tasteful but then by the door there is a mock mirrored atrium and a chandelier - which were just odd.

The menu is interesting, many "Indian" restaurants in the UK are owned and run by Bangladeshis' but it is unusual to find a menu which includes Bangladeshi specialities - mostly fish and shell-fish.

We shared pops and pickles - nice and three starters, veg samosas, onion bhajis and something called Lacey Paties (were they?) which were vegetable paties - all being nice without being outstanding.

My main course was a chicken dhansak - pleasant, spicy and not oily and sag aloo - same comments apply. The rice and nan bread were - rice and nan bread. The serving bowls were standard white pottery and looked a little plain, an attempt I think to be a little different.

Cost was ?16 per head which included an amount of Cobra and soft drinks.

So, a reasonable meal at a reasonable price from what could be described as a good, honest curry house.

Finally, as I left the Manager whispered "Happy Valentines Day" in my ear - which was nice, I think.

Our designated Lavatory Correspondant will no doubt post a few words about the conveniences in due course. Hibbs?

Would others like to post their views? Ta.

Obviously the company was top notch but I'm not too sure about the food. The staff were great but I thought food wise there was room for improvement e.g. the dips to start with were very watery. My curry was ok but there was nothing tantalizingly exciting about it.

Re: Washroom facilities, I must say I was rather scared. Upon going through the fire exit door the whole mood changed, you had to walk up a rickety very narrow wooden staircase with all paint hanging off the walls to arrive at loos that were definitely a throwback from the seventies?which is a shame as they didn't reflect the decor of the downstairs restaurant (where's Linda Barker when you need her).

Anyways lovely to see you all, looking forward to the next one!

x

• 2 weeks later...