Curry Club - Thursday 7 March 2019 - venue TBC

Michael Palaeologus

Hey guys. I can?t make this one. I?m detoxing after what was probably the most over indulgent Christmas and New Years period I have ever had. I have decided not to go out at all until Feb. Pity as I have always wanted to try the Curry Cabin. I guess I will just have to find another excuse to go.

The 2nd Curry Club evening last night was well attended for a January evening I thought - even if most of us were firmly in January form

Mike P, Georgia, Allykat, Mark, Mr Georgia (until he registers that's all I'm going to call him even if he is a regular at every do!) Mockney Piers and myself made up the regulars while Mrs CitizenED, Hibbs (new to the area and forum - ish) and Hibb's flatmate (a harndened forum lurker from what I could tell) made up the new arrivals

Curry Cabin was already pretty busy for a dark, miserable, cold, wet January Tuesday night so there was a fair bit of table shuffling going on to squeeze us in

We were well looked after by the staff so big thanks to them. The menu isn't the most adventurous you will see and the standard was straight-down-the-line hight-st old-school curry house - but I did ask for a couple of fresh chillies to be added to my dish which pepped it up nicely

I was shocked when everyone elected to go home after the curry (back in my day etc etc) but a big thanks to the 2 newbies (which they hate being called) for the lift home - looks like I made it indooors JUST before the heavens opened

Weirdly I felt like I'd been on a night out on the razz this morning, possibly side-effects from the ill-advised ingestion of one of them thar pepping chillies; so I can only apologise that I didn't join you for an after curry brew, but am relieved that I refrained.

Come february I'm sure my arm can be twisted into a swift Cuba Libre post ruby.

You're Hibbs then are you, sadly I had a trainspotting (film/book, not trains and stuff) green footy-shirt-and-scarf clad sctotsman in mind; couldn't have been more wrong really!

Lovely to meet you guys and hope we didn't have you running for the hills, be lovely to see you both at more events.

I was heartened by the maturity of the attendees who opted for a relatively early return home on a school night :))

It was a very jolly night, given that at least 2 of us were on various types of water all evening. Ten attendees (the best yet, well, out of 2) and as Sean noted 2 new faces were very welcome and clicked straight in as hardened japesters, drinkers and curry monsters.

The service was good, the restaurant was quite full when we arrived and so we stood around for 5 minutes while the Waiters moved furniture around and created a big table for us. After that service, drinks and food flowed well with no excessive waiting for things. Strangely the menus smell of rose water/Turkish delight.

Decor is pleasant and unobtrusive.

Nothing on the menu immediatly jumped out at me as a "must try". Most of the dishes can be found on many other menus in curry houses up and down the land.

The food was on the whole average for the area - that is it was good but I think that some found their food rather bland. Apart from the super hot chillis, three of which caused Mockney Piers (a chilli-fiend) to go a little pink and damp about the face.

I had the Green Chilli Chicken Massala which had chicken in it, was spicy and was very very green. A bit too green really, it looked rather odd but tasted nice without being memorable. Vegetable side dishes and breads were again on a par with anything you can get on LL. The onion bhajis were concidered very good being balls of lightly fried, crunchy and spicy spicy onion, better than most

After the main course Hibbs' Flatmate did something amazing, she asked for the desert menu!. The Waiters had not done the usual trick of sticking the desert menu under our noses as soon as they had whisked the plates away - so Brownie points to them for that. The exotic fozen pudding was a glorious confection that was reported as being "delicious" and just what chilli battered taste buds needed.

All in all and excellent evening in good company in a restaurant that can hold its own with its local curry house competitors without standing out.

Just wanted to add my 2-penneth (?!) and say although I was a little off-form last night (apologies there!) I had a rather spendid evening! I had the butter chicken - which although tasty was a rather scary orange colour - I think I have to move up a notch to the medium strength curries next time!

Great to meet the new recruits too!

I'll be looking forward to the next event - where hopefully more of us will be off the wagon - and we can have the post curry cocktail!

You guys kill me!

Kezzathelezza and I had a great night. It was lovely to meet you all.

I was very impressed with Mockney Piers for eating whole chillies ? very macho and with Sean for making his glass of red wine last ALL night. By the way Sean we only got lost once on the way home on the one way system :))

Looking forward to the next gathering.

x