Veg Box Recommendations

We use Local Greens who mrure mentions. We collect our bag of veg (which comes from organic or spray free farms as local to SE London as possible) every Thursday from Green & Blue on Lordship Lane. They have a number of other colelction points in the area.

Good veg, well sourced and a lovely bunch of people. We pay around ?50 per month for a weekly bag throughout the year.

I am a big fan of Riverford who have a local distributor in Southwark. The mix of stuff is pretty good and quality is better than others I have tried. We're experimenting with an occasional meatbox delivery from them as well. About 80% is grown in the UK, with about 10% imported (mainly citrus and tropical fruits) which are easy to avoid if you pick the right kind of box.

http://www.riverford.co.uk/

Yep, Riverford get my vote too! I've been getting their mini fruit & veg box for a couple of years, and it's consistently good quality and varied fruit and veg. I live up a steep hill and they've never missed a delivery, even in all the ice and snow last year. The box includes four or five recipes a week too.

http://www.riverford.co.uk/

• 8 months later...

Having moved out of London now, I found it awkward changing address with Riverford (different distributor). The function didnt seem to be possible online and contacting the existing distributor didn't prove successful. Have used them for years and always pleased with them but this issue did mean I looked elsewhere.

I subsequently ended up trying an alternative and previously unknown (to me) local provider - Kent Veg Box.

Really pleased with them, much smaller, cheaper and the meat is fantastic. I received an email from them today and they appear to deliver in all SE postcodes now...... I've used them around 6 months now and recommend them if anyone wanting to try someone new.

Another recommendation for Local Greens. We were frustrated that the larger box schemes still flew a limited number of items in. Local Greens let you know what you're getting the week before where everything is from, and as a bonus at Christmas time we got a tasty chutney made from ingredients sourced from around South East London.

Hi I'm Maria from Local Greens. Whilst Riverford is great they arent local - we are very local and heres why we are different

?We are not for profit

?Run by and employ local residents

?We source our veg as locally as possible, mainly within 60 miles.

?We only ever have UK grown organic, biodynamic or spray free produce

?Our salad leaves and herbs are often grown in the immediate local area

?We know our farmers personally and guarantee them a market

?We use a small electric van to deliver to our local collection points where you pick up your veg bag

?We run local events such as veg growing workshops and dinners using our veg because we are part of your local community and care where our food comes from.

take a look for yourself www.localgreens.org.uk

Just to clarify that Local Greens is the only local not for profit organisation and we have a UK only policy. Most other schemes source from abroad throughout the year but especially during the hungry gap - the time when our farmers need our support the most!

Archived