Pretty Boy Phone Theif

brewski

So I was just in the Sainsburys local on Lordship Lane with my Iphone stupidly sitting on the top of my bag. I was semi conscious of it but in a rush. As I picked up my basked I noticed this cute guy just in front of me, which I have to say is a rare occurrence in ED (sorry guys!). Anyway, as I was choosing a yogurt I felt him very close to me, and thought hello, but then I realised his hand had taken my phone from the top of my bag. It seemed so weird that I half questioned myself thinking, maybe its in here somewhere, frantically looking, and then, maybe its in the car. But then I noticed him putting it in his pocket, I have a white butterfly cover which is quite distinctive. So I followed him around the store wondering what I should do. He started putting his shopping back all neatly on the shelves and then put his basket back. Then he put up his hood and left the store. I thought, I cant let him get away with this, so I followed him out and went up to him saying, "excuse me but you have taken my phone". Instead of running or being rude he said "er what" and handed me his phone, so I said no there pointing to his pocket and I reached in and took it back. Now is that the weirdest and least sucessful phone theft or what? Only explanation I can think is that he was really stoned! Anyway peeps, watch out for pretty boys, they are not all that they seem.

This is obviously a spoof post, as if you'd let some guy (pretty or not) steal your phone, say nothing and then follow him around the store watching him put stuff back on shelves (neatly) and then follow him out of store ? If that really happened the normal reaction (for me anyway ) would be to scream blue murder and cause a scene (in the store)sounds like you're the one who's stoned...

In support of Brewski you just don't act like you think you would when you are the victim of crime. You might think you would scream and shout but people rarely do and are often too shocked / surprised to take in what has actually happened.

I once had a jacket taken from the top of a pile of coats in a bar. I spotted a girl at the bar wearing it and, giving her the benefit of the doubt despite it being a v. distinctive jacket, I said to her I think you have put my jacket on by mistake. She quickly took it off, threw it at me and ran out of the bar. I was too stunned to shout to the security guard she ran past and couldn't quite believe someone had been so blatant.

Thanks for your messages, it definately is true, why does it seem so odd, and yes Ratty that is a simlar description - how did you know? I dont think that screaming would have got my phone back, he would have bolted and that would have been the end of it. Surely better to sort out your own problems that scream, cause a scene and not resolve it? I did try to find the security guard but he wasnt around.

And Guna Nua, I dont think your comment is suitable for this forum - not the innocent brush off of your later post, i think its offensive. Most people in ED are really nice and honest and I like to believe people are innocent until proven guilty, I dont want to go about like a paranoid lunatic, but yes appreciate leaving bags open with phones sticking out is stupid and I will curb my behaviour.

Thanks for clarifying the word "peeps" Voyageur - when I googled it last night it came up as marshmallow candies sold in the USA.

Asked my son this morning and he gave me the answer, looking at me as if I was mad. Then again my teenagers don't understand some of the words and phrases I come out with that I grew up with!

Sometimes you can't believe what you're seeing because you are in shock, so you don't react straightaway because you don't know how to react, you're still trying to make sense of it. Glad you got it back. These situations can be useful wakeup calls - don't tempt thieves, keep expensive kit out of sight.

No worries Brewski, sorry to hear what happened to you, just thought it was a Sunday evening wind-up, I'm glad you got your phone back and as I have been the victim of crime many times in South London in deserted streets late at night and in broad daylight, I just thought that if I was in the safety of a store I would have reacted as I said...but of course that is because of my past experiences,I hope you are ok and with the benefit of hindsight I apologise for any offence caused.