Suspected break-in attempt on Ivanhoe Road...again...

anapau

Looking at our garden today it looks like somebody might have been trying to break into our house, several tools from outside have been moved about and lids (with bird food in...sorry burglars) taken off boxes, clematis all torn off the side of the fence, pots moved (to clear access to windows). I know it doesn't sound like much but I happened to come home at 4.30 am and went in to the kitchen, it may be that I frightened them off when I switched the lights on. Ivanhoe is a target for burglars anyway as it backs on to the railway, and a while back there was a really big bout of burglaries on our road, our house being one of the ones targeted.

Seems like a no-brainer to be vigilant at all times, but I know our household gets sloppy with it sometimes...forgetting to take all laptops, ipods etc out of the kitchen or forgetting to screw the windows down in particular. Be extra careful!

Also, irritatingly the back wheel of my bike was stolen from my bike which was locked up in my front garden. My own fault entirely - living in Oxford I get out of the habit of double locking my bike so when I'm back in London I forget to. F***ING BURGLARS!!

Good points - remember that thieves are opportunists - if they can find tools for B & E on site they don't have to risk carrying those about with them. That's why sheds are often hit first, their security if often weak and they may have tools/ ladders which enable greater thievery. Padlock ladders in particular - first floor entry is frequently easier than ground floor, weaker/ no locks, windows left slightly open etc.

I used to live on Ivanhoe road moved around 6 years ago it was bad then for burglary too,both my neighbours were burgled one night my mum distracted him as she heard someone outside the back and opened the window,police were called but they didnt find him.:X