It's primary school applications results day!!!

clux

chantelle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I get a bit confused - do you have to reject your

> choice to get on waiting lists and if not, how do

> the places free up? In other words, why would

> anyone reject the place they've been assigned

> before knowing they have another place? (barring

> moving house of private school admission)

Chantelle, accept the place (for several reasons). You will automatically be placed on the waiting lists for all schools higher up your preference list, and notified if a place becomes available. You can also now put your name on waiting lists for schools you did not put on the list in the first place. The whole list moves for many reasons: people move house, have applied for state school while waiting to hear if they have a place at a private school, get a place on appeal at a preferred school, or decide to Home Ed. On the first day of term some children don't show up - the family has failed to tell the school they have emigrated or moved. Places become available all through the summer and maybe beyond.

Kaska Wrote:

> None of my choices,a school 3 miles away in Herne

> Hill...sob

Oh no!! 3 miles is a lot! Which school did you get? St Judes, St Saviour? Not aware of any other schools that are technically in Herne Hill??

Sanne Panne Wrote:

> Kaska Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > None of my choices,a school 3 miles away in

> Herne

> > Hill...sob

>

> Oh no!! 3 miles is a lot! Which school did you

> get? St Judes, St Saviour? Not aware of any other

> schools that are technically in Herne Hill??

Jessop...

Fuschia Wrote:

> Kaska Wrote:

> -----

> > None of my choices,a school 3 miles away in

> Herne

> > Hill...sob

>

> 2 miles is the limit, surely?

Maybe in the straight lane but I can't really drive in the straight lane :(

Kaska Wrote:

> Fuschia Wrote:

> -----

> > Kaska Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > None of my choices,a school 3 miles away in

> > Herne

> > > Hill...sob

> >

> > 2 miles is the limit, surely?

>

>

> Maybe in the straight lane but I can't really

> drive in the straight lane :(

2 miles is the statutory maximum walking distance for under 8s.

jennifaah Wrote:

> we've got to endure the primary applications

> process next year and I'd be interested to know if

> anyone actually got into heber this year on a non

> sibling place?!

>

> thanks

I know of quite a few that got non-sibling offers there today

Pickle Wrote:

> jennifaah Wrote:

> -----

> > we've got to endure the primary applications

> > process next year and I'd be interested to know

> if

> > anyone actually got into heber this year on a

> non

> > sibling place?!

> >

> > thanks

>

> I know of quite a few that got non-sibling offers

> there today

Do they live 5 meters from the school gates? ;)

pandd-I am surprised that you didn't get a place at Heber if you live 100m away. The furthest place offered distance is usually aroung 300+ metres or so and therefore, if this is correct, it would mean a huge number of siblings combined with a large number of applicants within viewing distance of the school. I would suggest you contact Southwark admissions to verify this. (My contact details are below)

Damzel-Goodrich is 3 form entry and Heber 2. this means that Heber tends to have a significantly smaller last place offered distance than Goodrich.

Reneet-If the schools you applied to were local community schools, than places are allocated on distance. This means that you lived too far from the schools to have beeen offered a place. You will have automatically gone onto the waiting lists of these schools. Do accept the offer you have and you may get a place from ahigher ranked school from the waiting list.

Chantelle-Don't reject the place you have been offered, accept it. You will have automatically have been put on the waiting list for the other schools.

Scotlass-This has occurred as St Francesca Cabrini will take non-catholics, only Catholics have priority. Since St Anthony's expanded in 2010, this has impacted on St Francesca Cabrin's admissions. I believe last year 12 non-catholics went there. It has Sats results in the 90's and about half the children get level 5 (Government age 13-14 target) and Ofsted has rated it as a good school on the last two inspections (full and interim). Next year there will be 180 Catholic places in a small area, so it may be taking some non-Catholics again next year, useful to think about if you are applying next year. I would suggest you accept the place you have been offered and you may get offered one of your choices from the waiting list.

Kaska-As you have been allocated a Lambeth primary, I guess you live in Lambeth. Did you apply for your closest community schools? I would contact Lambeth admissions and check about your waiting list positions. You can also put in a late application to other primaries either in Lambeth or other boroughs

Renata

Definitely Chantelle. Good luck.

Pandd - that's amazing... We got our first choice but live well within the last few years "catchment" distances for non-siblings so something very freaky would have had to have happened for us not to get in. I suspect people might have to live within site of the school we got into next year to get a non-sibling place then as it has a bulge class this academic year.

Kaska and Chantelle - look at the information in this thread: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,872103

If you are Southwak residents but wish to go onto the waiting lists for other Lewisham or Lambeth schools it won't happen automatically through Southwark's system, you will need to get yourself onto those waiting lists. If you are a Lambeth resident I'm not sure if you automatically go onto to Southwark school waiting lists. There is no adavantage in waiting list or application terms on living in the same borough as the school.

Does anyone know, if you elect to go on a waiting list for a school that was higher up on your list and then get a place, do you still have the choice of whether to take the new place or stick with the original school you were allocated?

Hi,

does anyone know how it works if you move into the area in the summer when all places are assigned already? Do you ring the schools directly? This is for a year 1 and a year 3 entry. Also, what if you get given a school you don't want, do you have to take it as by law i know they will have to attend school? can you choose to home school until your place at preferred school comes up? In this case 2 places?

sorry for all the questions!

thanks

Pasta, we moved from Southwark to Lambeth in the Summer before my son was due to start in reception. We had to do a late application form and my son was then placed on the waiting list. Once my son had started reception at the school in our old area (in Southwark), I had to complete an in year change of school application. From what I gather, places are more likely to be found further up the school years than in reception and year 1. It's a pretty hideous system and I had a nightmare being told different things every time I phoned Lambeth and Southwark.We're still waiting for a place to come up at the school we want him to go to...

Best of luck with it all.