Colour Strings/Kodaly Method

About five years ago, we used to go to Auntie Moo's Kindermusik in Wimbledon but I just searched online and the website doesn't work so maybe that group has stopped.

On Friday afternoons, there is the excellent Trinity Teenies course at Trinity College of Music in Greenwich. if you register now, they accept children from 3 or 4. I think the course uses a lot of Kodaly. There is also the Guildhall Kindergarten on Saturdays but further to travel.

The only Colourstrings I know of is in Roehampton. I ended up choosing Suzuki because I couldn't find one nearer but this was a while ago so hopefully you find something nearer.

It looks like someone teaches in Shooters Hill, but it's Tues and Wed which wouldn't work for you. There's a list of teachers here: http://www.colourstrings.co.uk/CSTeachers.htm

I'd love there to be a local class on a Friday morning which I could take my 20 month old to but Roehampton is too far to drive on a regular basis. I see there's a schools project at Dulwich College - perhaps the teacher could be persuaded to hold other classes in Dulwich / East Dulwich?

Ah yes, now you mention the Shooter's Hill class, I went there once, but we had to do it by public transport and it took forever and a day to get there and back. The teacher was kind enough to offer a lift from the nearest station but on the way back we did bus-train-bus. Even driving, it is quite some distance to cover.

I am surprised there aren't any Colourstrings groups here as I think there would be the demand for it. However, setting up classes in ED is quite cost prohibitive as room hire at venues is expensive. In some ways, it is easier to go into schools and teach the program there.

This is probably not much help, but the music groups I've been running in East Dulwich (on Fridays!) are based on the Kodaly method. Within that I use some colourstrings songs too. I started these classes because I couldn't find anything locally that used these 'methods' either. Hall hire is expensive, and I think a lot of people are looking for music classes that entertain, rather than teach, so classes of this sort are harder to sustain. Anyhoo, at the moment I'm having to stop the classes for other work. I hope to start them again sometime soon, hopefully September. The classes are divided into different age groups.

I'm not sure of your musical background but have you thought about teaching it yourself if you can t find anything local? It's ideal to go to a class in many ways, as there are lots of nice games the children play together etc, but with the lack of local classes, I've been doing it at home with my children. If your interested, there are lots of good resources out there I'd be happy to tell you about, and some fantastic teachers to get into contact with too.

edited to add: The Kodaly method is indeed a fantastic way of teaching music. It is based around games/ movement/ singing, which the children really enjoy, and through this the children not only learn the core skills of music, but learn them so well. They will gain better musicianship skills than many adult musicians have!

There is a nice group in West Dulwich I think only on Tuesdays though, called 'sound sense'

Thanks for the all these helpful messages and pms. Definitely a bit of food for thought and investigation. I had clocked the Roehampton and Shooters Hill classes, but like others concluded that it seemed a bit unrealistic for me to travel that far on a regular basis. Apparently there's also a really good class in Richmond. Such a shame that there isn't anything a bit closer.

If I do manage to track down anyone local who teaches Kodaly, I'll try and persuade them to set up a local class!

Sparkle I would be interested to hear about the resources and teachers you mention. I doubt I have the musical skills to do sessions with my son (keen violinist until university but nothing since), but my sister (professional violinist) might be persuadeable.

Thanks again.

dear theratprincess,

I'll send you a pm with some ideas. You certainly don't need to be professional to teach Kodaly. Please don't be put of doing some things just because you may not have the higest qualifications in music. Kodaly teaching does go up to as high a musical level as the teacher can take it to, but for teaching children you'd be more than qualified I'm sure. For the younger children it's more about carefully crafting activities that they can do, and then helping them progress at an appropriate level. I think that's the main skill, and of course being able to sing in tune, have a good feeling for pulse and a good knowledge of rhythm.

• 1 month later...

I've had a look at the website above, but still not sure exactly what is the coulorstrings/kodaly method. Could someone please explain? I grew up on Suzuki, which I think it great for certain things, particularly bowing technique, but don't really think it's great for overall musicianship.

I too would be interested in some group lessons for my 3 year old - but on a Mon or Fri afternoon.

-A

Apenn,

The Kodaly 'method' is all about thorough learning of musicianship. It teaches 'inner hearing' ie the ability to hear written music in your head (sight sing), and write music you hear (dictation). It teaches this through relative solfa, so that you can hear and sing all the different intervals in any key. It also teaches rhythm through rhythm sylables ti-ti, ta etc, sense of pulse etc. All is taught through singing and depending on the teacher , lots of movement and singing games. Musical concepts are learnt step by step and 'subconsciously' first: eg you learn a new song and after perhaps lots of singing of it, perhaps as a round too or in parts, clapping the rhythm, pulse etc you will be made conscious of a new musical elemet, a new interval or rhythm etc. Thus you feel the new idea, you hear the new interval and are able to reproduce it before you learn it's official title.

I think it's an amazing way to learn music. It teaches you much more than names and intellectual things about this note is half this note etc. How many musicians can hear the music they see in their head before they read it?! It also works really well with young children: there are so many lovely songs and games they play and enjoy whilst they are learning useful music skills. I've been doing it with my own children (and running groups where I can) for a few years now, and the progress they have made is fantastic and really clear to see. So often children are given songs to sing which they can't possibly sing in tune, and with terrible backing tracks which drown out the melody and the children's voices. If you really children to learn to sing (and get real pleasure from it), this is the only way!

Bit of a ramble. Hope it makes sense!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello. I've just moved back to East Dulwich. My daughter was doing a colour strings class for a few months and the results were amazing. She can sing very well now and I'd like to see if a local class ever got off the ground (as discussed above).

Please let me know if so, or if not I'd love to help get something started.

Many thanks.

• 3 months later...