Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

The demographics arguement is fine, except that Iceland would probably stay if M&S/Waitrose dont get their way - there will be no Supermarket competition other than the Coop, so people will have to go to Iceland like it or no.

As MM noted the economic argument doesnt stand up now, unemployment is falling because the economy has been growing for at least 6 months, we now discover.

Factors that will decide it are whether M&S/Waitrose want the site badly enough to change their plans and re-submit, how much the rent goes up (it will on the basis of the M&S/Waitrose interest) and whether Iceland want to stay badly enough to pay a higher rent and refurbish the store (which they need to do).

I think unemployment is falling because they massage the figures and you are forced to take low paid jobs which intern you have to apply for benefits to supplement your income it is a vicious circle. But like someone said on this thread it depends if Iceland can afford to pay the high rents.

They havent been able to massage the figures since the last Government changed the criteria. It is what it is, the figures do at least compare like with like for the past number of years. Unemployment has fallen.

That some of these jobs are PT and low paid is true, but for many this at least gets them into the world of work. It is easier to go from employment to better employment. Equally PT work is what many people want, giving flexibility to work around other commitments.

Many people in retail management start their employment as PT-ers and Saturday workers.

I think the employment figures have been manipulated by the Government, by the number of Jobseekers that have been kicked off, or as the Government would like to call it SANCTIONED, and those that have been taken of disability benefits for the minis cal of reasons i.e.: being 1 minute late for their appointments, for not attending one interview, for which they had no chance of getting the job, or the job had already gone. Just waiting for a freedom of information request from the Government, that is if they answer, as to how many of the 50,000 drop in unemployment figures are, people who have been sanctioned, and are not allowed any money whatsoever, and taken of the jobseekers figures, as I know of quite a few unfortunate people. How can you trust a Government that never thinks of the consequence of their actions, and wants to tax Cornish pasties? Changes the rules on old age pensioners, i.e. : it?s not a pension any more, that millions have paid into for the last 50-60 years, it?s now a benefit, they can now manipulate when and if they like.There are only 400,000 jobs available at any one time, yet there is more than 2.5 million unemployed, I think it speaks for its self.

er, the old people have contributed to their state pension fallacy hey fredRicckets...no they ain't, it (the state pension) is funded by current tax payers/or govt borrowing. NI is a myth it just goes into govt coffers to spend on what they want, it's not held in an individuals seperate pension/health insurance pot, it's just tax. Which is why many say it should be scrapped and just added to tax, ie increase the tax rate and scrap the whole NI facade.

"i.e.: being 1 minute late for their appointments, for not attending one interview, for which they had no chance of getting the job, or the job had already gone"

Are you serious?

If it's important to be on time, you get there early. Any job interview is excellent experience and practice for the next one. What does it matter if you had 'no chance of getting the job'?

This sounds like a recipe for how to stay unemployed and make excuses for it.

I'm over Iceland take your terrible cheap manufactured multiple number additive added fake food and begone from our streets so last year ,. can pop into Peckham if I every feel the need ......

M&S welcome it should provide the crappy Co-op with competition because at the moment there currently isn't any. Face it if people want to do a big shop they will drive to one of the many supermarkets in the area. So Im all for it. I am happy to spend my money on the local independent shops as I see fit. At the end of the day its all about getting the best deal for the consumer all hail competition let us reap the benefits of better service prices and most of all cost.

apologies if I have offended the left

85volga Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm over Iceland take your terrible cheap

> manufactured multiple number additive added fake

> food and begone from our streets so last year ,.

> can pop into Peckham if I every feel the need

> ......

>

> M&S welcome it should provide the crappy Co-op

> with competition because at the moment there

> currently isn't any. Face it if people want to do

> a big shop they will drive to one of the many

> supermarkets in the area. So Im all for it. I am

> happy to spend my money on the local independent

> shops as I see fit. At the end of the day its all

> about getting the best deal for the consumer all

> hail competition let us reap the benefits of

> better service prices and most of all cost.

>

> apologies if I have offended the left

xxxxxx

"The best deal for the consumer" as long as they have shedloads of money and the luxury of being able to choose where to spend it. And the means of getting to Peckham without having a long walk back with their heavy weekly shop.

Yeh. You've offended me, anyway, don't know about "the left".

Agree with all the people Jeremy agrees with. Regarding the stats, what's interesting is inflation asjusted disposable income (including benefit payments to households) is only down 2.9 percent vs pre-crisis income across the country. However, a large part of this is lower interest rates for those with mortgages so the reality is homeowners have suffered the least in terms of real income (some even seeing an improvement) while those without mortgages have suffered steeper declines in disposable income.

As I have said, this is business decision taken by large corporations based on their own analysis of demgraphics etc. We should make sure the redevelopment of the store is appropriate though.

nav8art Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue Re the long walk home surely you have a

> subsidised travel card bless

xxxxxx

My post wasn't referring to myself. Why do you assume that everybody who doesn't have much money has a subsidised travel card? I believe you only get one if you are over 60 or claiming disability benefit.

And yes, I'd also like to know what the "bless" signifies.

????

er, the old people have contributed to their state pension fallacy hey fredRicckets...no they ain't, it (the state pension) is funded by current tax payers/or govt borrowing. NI is a myth it just goes into govt coffers to spend on what they want, it's not held in an individuals seperate pension/health insurance pot, it's just tax. Which is why many say it should be scrapped and just added to tax, ie increase the tax rate and scrap the whole NI facade.

ER, I happen to have paid NIC and TAX for the last 50 years and that is no fallacy. Yes it is funded by today?s tax payers, because the Government dipped there greedy little fingers into it, and emptied it and now we have the consequences of their actions. And the Gov have now changed the Goal posts again, your right it?s not even state pension anymore, its state BENIFITS, For those of us who have worked hard all our lives, it?s an insult to say that we are now receiving state benefits, just so when the Gov feels like it, they can cut it, or even do away with it.

Cyberia

"i.e.: being 1 minute late for their appointments, for not attending one interview, for which they had no chance of getting the job, or the job had already gone"

Are you serious?

Yes I am serious, they are just some examples of what is going on all over the Country, and it appears that you are not very sympathetic to the plight of others less fortunate than yourself. Some of these people have been sent after a least 20 jobs a week, thats without trawling the internet every day, they are sent after jobs without any money in their pockets for fares, and London transport is not that reliable. The Government has told Jobseekers to kick them off for the slightest of reasons, just to save money that they have spent and wasted.

fredricketts, I just think you need to get a fallacy straight.

The government didn't dip their hands into your pot and help themselves, they spent it on YOU. You voted for governments that offered low tax with fantasy claims about public services.

The only way they could meet that commitment was to spend from the piggy bank.

There is rarely anything more offensive than geriatrics who have benefitted from running up a credit card that their children will have to pay off, until they get self righteous about it.

Your generation asset stripped the nation leaving a debt time bomb that your grandchildren will have to pay off through poverty. You spent everything you earned in 70 years, and then your generation spent everything that was going to be earned by your children in the next 70 years.

The 20th century generation will be famous in history for one thing - their greed.

And that, mate, means you.