Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wow, UDT, you found a film of Huguenot and MP?

> Kudos.

>

Thanks Rosie.

Funnily enough Huguenot the 'lie merchant' went through my mind as I watched the video. The 'MP' character can apply to any M&S customers though.

How great M and S in East Dulwich. It'll give all the local doley population something to do with their time, they'll have to get the free bus to Peckham to do their shopping to buy a meal for 8 for ?3!

meister Wrote:

> How great M and S in East Dulwich. It'll give all

> the local doley population something to do with

> their time, they'll have to get the free bus to

> Peckham to do their shopping to buy a meal for 8

> for ?3!

So reading this it seems like you are insinuating that people who shop at Iceland are a "doley population" who have nothing better to do with their time... I'm now wondering why I've worked my arse off to live in a nice, safe area - when according to you, my shopping money is not wanted.

meister Wrote:

> How great M and S in East Dulwich. It'll give all

> the local doley population something to do with

> their time, they'll have to get the free bus to

> Peckham to do their shopping to buy a meal for 8

> for ?3!

xxxxxxx

That is one of the nastiest posts I've ever read on this forum.

Hi Neilson99,

If someone reports a safety issue to me I will immediately report it whether its in ED, other part of Southwark or indeed other London borough. A non working Peolican crossing on Firest Hill Road is a safety issue. I'm sorry if you think this makes me a hypocrite. Equally if a resident contacted a non ED cllr with a safety issue I'd expect that cllr to report it tout sweet.

Hi Eddie,

I've spoken to a Waitrose person referred to me by an ED forumite. I think it's unfortunate that Lordship Lane can't keep a broader sprectrum of shops and clearly many people shop at Iceland. But the freeholders choose who they lease to and how they wish to try and maximise their profits.

My interests are purely to ensure a healthy and vibrant area serving the local community. Hence my support for resurfacing North Cross Road due next week, electric points on North Cross Road, food hygiene training for local businesses, hangingbaskets, shops alertboxes, etc, etc.

I have no contacts with M&S or with the Iceland freeholder.

Clearly buidling on the Iceland car park will cause extra parknig stress and compund the local residents who already find this unbearable. So I will be formalyl objecting to the planning application but on the grounds of parking pressures. Removing the parking is not a prerequisite of a new supermarket chain replacing Iceland.

To be honest I'd hoped for a more imaginative solution to find a premise for M&S to return to Lordship Lane.

Its not just safety Issues you've taken up in other wards. I'm sure you helped get the Fireworks Cancelled in Dulwich Park. yet you think Renata shouldn't comment on the main Shopping Street used by all of Se22 NOT Just East Dulwich ward People.

Not sure you are a hypocrite but maybe you shouldn't sling mud at Renata and others without thinking about it first.

Hi the-e-dealer,

Blimey you really do hate me and the Lib Dems.

If a resident contacts me by phone or email from another ward I explain to them if they're not in ED ward and I ask if they would prefer to use their actual councillor or me. Often they come to me because they had no satisfaction from their ward councillor. I'm sure that occassionally happens the other way round.

alsmith Wrote:

> What I am on about is that currently Iceland has a

> car park with 17 spaces. The proposals will have

> no car park. Given this parking is used at 100%

> capacity on a weekend that puts more demand on

> local roads for parking.

I do realise that I may have hit on the one single time in the last 20 years that the car park has been at anything less than 100% full. But I did my own informal reccy on Saturday - nice sunny day, market in full swing, popped by about noon - there were 8 cars in there.

Hi meister,

I think it's a shame Iceland hasn't been successful enough to stay. But I would have thought M&S would be successful and is likely to employ more people as a consequence.

Hi bonaome,

I'm not clear that M&S wouldn't want to lease this site with our without an extension.

It does seem clear that M&S is likely to generate more car trips than the existing Iceland so removing the last car park in the area seems a strange proposition.

tbh I've lived in the area for 11 years and wasn't even aware there was a carpark there.

17 spaces won't really be missed, I bet they're mostly taken by staff and the LL equivalent of a german with a pool side towel anyway!!

I was delighted to discover the car park behind Asda on the other lane though. Marvellous. If anyone is really driving to Iceland then perhaps they can go there instead.

I lived nr Elephant & Castle for 8 years and did a lot of shopping on Walworth rd. Hardly ever used the M&S there - DID use Iceland, Safeway, East St Mkt. the big 'mediterranean supermarket' next to Iceland, the chinese supermkt and many others. M&S never gentrified the Wally Rd.

It's just another chain-supermarket (no pants) and they may even be about to step directly into Iceland's shoes with their new budget food range.

I think it's a shame Iceland hasn't been successful enough to stay.

James - I have already, on this or a related thread, gone into the sort of planning/ strategic detail that retailers look at when planning their location policy - when leases come up for a renewal it is always a good opportunity to review a particular location. Unless you know (for a fact) that 'Iceland haven't been successful enough to stay' then you can only speculate about their reasons for moving/ giving up their lease, but one might be that the future demographic trends of ED do not match, or will not within the lease's future match, their chosen target segmentation. They may wish to invest for future success, even while this outlet may, now, still be performing against their required expectations for its size, if they believe that over time an investment elsewhere may prove more successful.

Iceland (like M&S or any other retailer) locates to meet its financial needs, based on meeting the needs of customesr they chose (segment) to serve. I have lived in the area nearly 25 years, with Iceland serving ED needs - but you only have to look at the other shops and resaurants/ bars now in Lordship Lane, and the people in those shops and bars, and the price of the houses, to know that this area is very different to the way it was, and is likely to stay so, or get even more different. Of course there are still loyal and happy Iceland customers now - how many will there be in 5 or 10 year's time?

Get over your sentimental attachment to old-time shops - Iceland is very clear what demographic it intends to serve (and good for them) - if this area now has, or will have, too low a concentration of this segment, of course it should move on. This is about successful application of strategy, very possibly, and the opposite of 'being unsuccessful'. Second hand pram and rubbish shops have closed down in Lordship Lane over the last 25 years - are you sad to see those go as well?

Do we know for a fact that Iceland are indeed tending to move on or is it simply the lease is due for renewal?

Apparently, according to someone who went in to speak to the manager about this (yes heresay is never 100% reliable but...), the manager was unaware of the impending move.

I can never understand, although no doubt it is common practise amongst large retail establishments, that planning permission can be granted when the applicant doesn't actually hold the lease at the time the application is made.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Do we know for a fact that Iceland are indeed

> tending to move on or is it simply the lease is

> due for renewal?

>

> Apparently, according to someone who went in to

> speak to the manager about this (yes heresay is

> never 100% reliable but...), the manager was

> unaware of the impending move.

>

> I can never understand, although no doubt it is

> common practise amongst large retail

> establishments, that planning permission can be

> granted when the applicant doesn't actually hold

> the lease at the time the application is made.

That would be down to the greedy councils wanting to make money on planning applications regardless of whether or not they are submitted by owner or leaseholder.

Was once told by a planning officer that I could submit an application to put an extension on Buckingham Palace if I wanted to.

Well yes, it could just be a feasibility study.

But like anyone, the residents of ED would prefer to get in on the discussion before the decision is made - and it wiil go in favour of at least some of them - but certainly not all ;-)

I doubt if M&S would go to the trouble and expenditure of feasability study. Their Bean Counters will have identified E Dulwich as a viable shopping area and will therefore want to get in there. this will mean that all the other investors who use M&S as their indicator will also start trying to get in. If I owned a run down shop on LLane I'd bide my time!