Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

James,

what you don't point out, is that the current planning system was wasteful in terms of time and resources. I know certainly for my CC area (Nunhead and Peckham Rye) on several occasions planning meetings were cancelled at short notice, or they were opened for five minutes and closed again (one application, withdrawn or additional information required). This means councillors and council officers went going to meetings where nothing was achieved, rooms were being paid for, papers being prepared and sent out to (costly in terms of officers' time and resources.) Subject to approval ny Council Assembly, what will happen now, as at present, minor and undisputed/very low objections number applications will be decided directly by council officers. Large applications will still be decided by the full planning committee. Those that would have gone to community council planning will go to one of two committees for intermediate applications or more minor applications where residents have objected. This means that planning applications will still be loosely be divided up into small medium and large, but we won't have five minute meetings, as there will be more applications per meeting to decide. The current government, your Government, James has slashed the council's budget. Cuts have had to have been made across all departments. This has meant trying to find the most efficient way of doing things at the least harm to services. Yes, I appreciate it will mean residents travelling a little further to planning meetings, and there may be some unfamiliar faces on the planning committee, but as we all already deal with planning and we should be impartial if sitting on a planning committee, I am comfortable with this decision.

In terms of this thread in particular, It is good to see so many local residents engaging in this discussion, however, planning officers don't (I think!) read the East Dulwich forum . I would suggest that residents actually post their opinions, look at the application here:

southwark planning

email: [email protected]

with your name,address and application no: 12/AP/1340

Do particularly consider how the development may impact on your everyday living if you live close to the proposed development, parking, noise, deliveries, etc Positive comments can also be submitted! It would be good if local businesses as well as residents respond to the consultation too.

Renata

More bonkers chat from people who can't see past their nose , it would be a crying shame if Iceland went,for people who can't afford W Rose, Moxons M&S would be another overpriced shop to add the list. Shame on you!!!. Anyone who do not think these places are taking the mick obviously haven't got a clue.

Regarding the potential parking requirements for the flats, in my experience, many people who live in flats don't drive and those that own cars specifically look for flats that offer parking. Even if it is not specifically prohibited in the planning application, I am not sure the residential development should be a significant concern regarding parking. The M&S Simply Food format (which is what is being proposed) is not a supermarket and is not a place where someone can do a weekly shop. The Simply Food format is convenience food / ready made dinners / basic essentials which is why they are often located in train stations and motorway services. The idea people will be driving on masse to load up their cars with convenience food is a bit mad.

With respect to concerns about the independent shops, convenience meals of the kind M&S will offer currently don't exist on LL (have to get it from your station on your way home) so I can't see how this will significantly threaten local business. The Little Waitrose format is very similar to the M&S Simply Food. Even if these shops were supermarkets, the Co-Op and Sainsbury rather than the independent shops should certainly feel more threatened. Either way, if Iceland felt there was enough demand for their offering, they'd be willing to pay the same rent as M&S and Waitrose. If they don't then its simply an accurate reflection of the current state of the market in ED.

well done captain birdseye. let's keep lordship lane free of shops people might want to visit. if you have your way most will be boarded up. there is a recession on, you know, and us traders need all the lift we can get. m&s is a vote of confidence in our retail future

I'm disappointed, although not entirely surprised, that not all residents concerning this area have been notified of the proposal. Having spoken to a few locals, some on Chesterfield Grove, it seems only those at the Lordship Lane end of the street have been notified whilst those at the other end are completely in the dark and have been a little shocked when their neighbours inform them of the plans.

Is this correct protocol? I'd have thought the entire street would have/should have been informed?

Rye Lane certainly has gone downhill over the years.

These days it just sells useless things like real meat and fish, every fruit vegetable you could think of - plus all the gear you'd need to cook it with. But then who wants to be bothered with all that nonsense!

Hi Cllr Hamvas,

I'm sorry that Peckham and Nunhead Community Council finds planning applications quite so painful.

Last night Dulwich Community Council decided three planning applications - two very contentious ones from the Kingswood area and met locally in Kingswood House. Over 50 residents attended.

Your proposals, decided at February budget setting Council assembly, make the hurdle for residents to object to a planning application much higher. Planning applications will more often be decided by unelected council officials even when people have objected. That where councillors are involved the vast majority will have no local knowledge of the area affected.

This is centralising and further stacks the planning system against residents and civic society groups.

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James,

> what you don't point out, is that the current

> planning system was wasteful in terms of time and

> resources. I know certainly for my CC area

> (Nunhead and Peckham Rye) on several occasions

> planning meetings were cancelled at short notice,

> or they were opened for five minutes and closed

> again (one application, withdrawn or additional

> information required). This means councillors and

> council officers went going to meetings where

> nothing was achieved, rooms were being paid for,

> papers being prepared and sent out to (costly in

> terms of officers' time and resources.) Subject to

> approval ny Council Assembly, what will happen

> now, as at present, minor and undisputed/very low

> objections number applications will be decided

> directly by council officers. Large applications

> will still be decided by the full planning

> committee. Those that would have gone to community

> council planning will go to one of two committees

> for intermediate applications or more minor

> applications where residents have objected. This

> means that planning applications will still be

> loosely be divided up into small medium and large,

> but we won't have five minute meetings, as there

> will be more applications per meeting to decide.

> The current government, your Government, James has

> slashed the council's budget. Cuts have had to

> have been made across all departments. This has

> meant trying to find the most efficient way of

> doing things at the least harm to services. Yes, I

> appreciate it will mean residents travelling a

> little further to planning meetings, and there may

> be some unfamiliar faces on the planning

> committee, but as we all already deal with

> planning and we should be impartial if sitting on

> a planning committee, I am comfortable with this

> decision.