Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> M&S Retail Iceland Retail Dont see why they need a

> planning application.

Because they are making the building bigger, inc. flats and getting rid of the car park?

I for one do not welcome the idea of a shop that sells nice food. How am I supposed to embrace the neo-mid twentieth century zeitgeist with this kind of establishment opening on my high street? This is an unacceptable threat to my middle class trendy lifestyle. Still I must keep calm and carry on: I'm off to darn some socks and make a pie from leftovers!!

As a resident of many years,one of the things I valued about Lordship Lane was the lack of majour stores.

I think this could be the start of an escalation. (Remind me. Did Costa bomb manage to open up their outlet without any planning permission or is that just a rumour?)

Does anyone know how high the proposed structure would be and if it would be higher than the existing structure?

Is the plan for some of the land belonging to the carwash to be used?

I'm still interested to know whether it is considered this will have a significant knock on effect on parking? The planning document suggests not.

I would really welcome a branch of M&S in Lordship Lane. I can count the number of times I've shopped in LL this year on the fingers of one hand; I prefer to get all my food shopping in one trip, but don't like the Co-op or Iceland. If there was an M&S, then I would be likely to shop there regularly rather than drive to Beckenham, and would also be far more likely to use the other local shops.

Huguenot Wrote:

> Why do people look down their noses at ready meal

> eaters?

>

> What is so superior about the wasting all that

> time cutting, peeling, cooking and creating piles

> of washing up?

>

> Fine if cooking floats your boat, but it hardly

> makes you superior.

I'm refuting the argument that it's quicker to pick up a ready meal every day rather than cook from scratch. I fully appreciate that a lot of people don't enjoy cooking. There are many things I don't enjoy!

To me this seems a good thing all round. M&S sells nice stuff. I'm going to speculate that any incomers shopping at M&S are more likely to shop at the independent shops on Lordship Lane. The loss of a few parking spaces: mmmm a drop in the ocean, I reckon, the Saturday market probably consumes more spaces. I've lived in East Dulwich for some time and been to Iceland perhaps 10 times: weird place, not cheap, not particularly nice food. Pointless.

I think the parking angle is being slightly overblown. 8 spaces as mentioned above is a drop in the ocean, if you are worried about parking from people shopping at the store then surely the answer is a CPZ?

E-dealer I think you'll find that Iceland is not a 'failing' chain. Google Iceland and profits and you'll see that in June last year their profits were up a whopping 20%...a bit better than m&s I suspect..I would guess part of this increase is due to the recession and people having to watch what they spend? And Iceland does help squeezed budgets...

By the way I am aware that discussing the pros and cons is pointless as it will be a business decision made by the two companies involved.

Lowlander Wrote:

>

> Anyway, back to the thread; M&S do some cracking

> reductions on food if you time it right, so could

> end up cheaper than Iceland...

True - lived around the corner from the Brixton M&S for a couple of years and often mingled with the 'waiting-for-that-pimply-looking-lad-with-the-cage-full-of-reduced-items-to-put-the-stuff-out-on-the-shelves' crew that assembled around the doors at a certain time in the pm (no I'm not giving that away!).

Like vultures waiting for a wildebeest to drop we mooched around the socks, pretending to see value in the multi-packs of boxer shorts before pouncing and wrestling through the (metaphorical) mudbanks of the Zambezi and dragging the reduced 4-cheese ravioli or singapore noodles back to our tree.

Can't wait for that kind of group activity on the Lane!

grabot Wrote:

> I've lived in East Dulwich

> for some time and been to Iceland perhaps 10

> times: weird place, not cheap, not particularly

> nice food. Pointless.

xxxxxxx

Eh? It is cheap, and the food is absolutely fine for basics like frozen vegetables, frozen fish, natural yoghurt etc..

Whereas last time I was in an M&S food store, the price of basic things like that was much much higher.

Gedwina said: I think the parking angle is being slightly overblown. 8 spaces as mentioned above is a drop in the ocean, if you are worried about parking from people shopping at the store then surely the answer is a CPZ?

At least 8 spaces (some families have two cars), plus cars that park up waiting to be washed by car wash (loads), plus regular deliveries by extremely large lorries- all in less space, as proposed.

First Mate - The car wash has nothing to do with the m&s and a CPZ would solve this problem. This is a current problem as seen by threads on this forum.

Are the 8 spaces fully used or are they the car park for the Iceland? Are they used by householders? - if so this could be a problem otherwise it will be no change to present use.

How does the current shop get stock? Do they use "extremely large lorries"? or very small ones?. Currently there seems to be no issue with the Iceland lorries and I am sure that this will be the case with M%S.

All I can see from the planning is the removal of 8 spaces which is minimal. Parking will always be a problem in East Dulwich and London as a whole.