Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The increase in footfall is all well and good, but

> people will want to park, as will the 8 plus

> families that will live in the proposed new

> residential development- that is a massive

> increase in traffic and then, yes, frequent

> deliveries by huge lorries too.

>

> If you read the planning appilication the

> developers are under the delusion that people will

> all cycle!!!

>

> The garden centre is another big development

> waiting to happen. Perhaps this is why there were

> such huge efforts to push CPZ through.

>

> It doesn't seem like this has been thought through

> at all.

I agree, I'll want to park if I pop into M&S. It's daft to expect everyone to cycle, can't they just keep the car park? I do feel sorry for the surrounding roads parking is difficult enough already.

As a family with three young kids I do all my essential shopping in Iceland...Milk is ?1 for 4pints much cheaper than elsewhere......this will have a massive impact on my weekly shop...and with no car I won't be 'popping' to Peckham. People might not like the image of Iceland but it is a Well used community shop - the staff are always great and the queues managed well. Seeing it go would be another sad product of gentrification - the shops on Lordship Lane risk serving only one segment of the population....here comes Clapham!

Vik Wrote:

> There's an Iceland just down the road in Peckham,

> I shop in Iceland when money's particularly tight

> but would just pop to Peckham if the LL branch

> went.

xxxxxxxx

I sometimes shop in Iceland, but I wouldn't bloody trek down to Peckham to do that, it's around an hour's round trip compared to ten minutes for me.

Personally I'd be sorry to see Iceland go. We don't all have loads of disposable income to spend on highly priced M&S food.

I very much doubt that a majority of people will do their 'weekly' shop at M&S, the stores, range and price really aren't designed for that, these stores are aimed at top up shoppers. The ready meal and loaf of bread on the way back from the station etc.

M&S are losing money in all their other departments and are relying on their food sales to stay afloat but they're so far behind the curve now that by the time this is up and running there will be better and cheaper options everywhere forcing the brand even further downmarket and a few sandwiches, smoothies and overpriced microwave meals will not stop the rot.

Didn't M&S using X-factor contestants to advertise stuff send out ANY warning signals? Woolworths MarkII coming up.

Gidget Wrote:

> It's for people who don't cook and have

> lots of disposable income.

Yeah, but so what? Some people aren't interesting in cooking, some people don't have the time to cook every night. It's not a crime. I'd rather spend ?4 on something OK-ish from M&S than ?1.50 on something utterly revolting from Iceland.

Although I do shop at Iceland, I would much more prefer an M&S. Lordship Lane is evolving (sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse), but that what makes living in East Dulwich so interesting.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Gidget Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's for people who don't cook and have

> > lots of disposable income.

>

> Yeah, but so what? Some people aren't interesting

> in cooking, some people don't have the time to

> cook every night. It's not a crime. I'd rather

> spend ?4 on something OK-ish from M&S than ?1.50

> on something utterly revolting from Iceland.

M&S seems to be at every mainline station going into East Dulwich. You can buy your stuff there.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Gidget Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's for people who don't cook and have

> > lots of disposable income.

>

> Yeah, but so what? Some people aren't interesting

> in cooking, some people don't have the time to

> cook every night. It's not a crime. I'd rather

> spend ?4 on something OK-ish from M&S than ?1.50

> on something utterly revolting from Iceland.

Sorry, but there's no time saving. I could knock up a spag bol in 15 minutes which is quicker than detouring to a shop, selecting, queuing then heating in the microwave when I got home. Even when I worked 12 hour days in a tiny flat with a two hob cooker I still found time to do this.

Of course if you're not interested in cooking then you wouldn't know this.

Anyway, back to the thread; M&S do some cracking reductions on food if you time it right, so could end up cheaper than Iceland...

Why do people look down their noses at ready meal eaters?

What is so superior about the wasting all that time cutting, peeling, cooking and creating piles of washing up?

Fine if cooking floats your boat, but it hardly makes you superior.

I Don't look down my nose at ready meal eaters just know it's not healthy and don't want to bring up my kids on them (even though I am a rubbish cook!)....I'm with you tarafitness a Waitrose would be better than m&s at least if you shop carefully you can get some good basics....