Love thy neighbour...

TheRealMorris

A new neighbour...

I have had a quiet life so far, no noisy neighbours to interrupt my thought,

things have changed now, I've come a little bit anxious if not distraught.

The flat above me has got a new tenant, who I did not see moving in,

the noises that I hear through the floor the covering must be very thin.

Its evening, someone has just gone in the flat above, to join whoever?s there,

the sounds come through my ceiling as if there is insulation, I wonder where.

I can hear a conversation, but I am not listening to this through choice,

a woman is speaking to some one else, and answered by a mans voice.

The woman says I have brought you something, shall we go and try it out?

its quieter now, I cant understand why, it does not take long before a shout.

Come into the bedroom, it took a while to get it right, I?m ready for you now,

even through the ceiling I hear an intake of breath, as he exclaimed WOW.

I have never been a musician, but got used to the army drum marching beat.

the sound I hear is different, this one changes speed, it is not of marching feet.

I cant hear the music playing, or even the muffled words that they are saying,

the rhythm's even makes the ceiling lamplight shade accompany by swaying.

I wonder should I go upstairs and tell them that all the sounds can be overheard.

or would they think that I am being a little bit over the top, or just plain absurd?

Its quiet now should I go up now, they have had their tea or was it their supper?

I will go now, but it will take some time for me to climb the stairs to the upper.

Good evening, I said to the woman who opened the door, I?m Billy from the flat below,

I thought that I would welcome you to your new home and be neighbourly you know.

George she called toward the closed door, it opened it to show the man who was there,

disclosing ?George? Its Billy from the flat below, show him your new Rocking Chair.

TheRealMorris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it acceptable to approach your new next door

> neighbour if you take a liking to them?

>

> If yes, how should said approach be executed?

>

A polite word in the stairwell works wonders.

"I know where you live" nearly always produces some sort of result. "I hope the screams didn't disturb you" is a braver gambit. To build a negotiable bond, however, you really need to set up some sort of obligation. Cups of sugar are sufficiently cliched to be spooky, but asking to borrow a bar of soap or a bed-sheet is morally neutral.

Things are made much easier if you're stuck at home all day, as I suspect might be the case here. In which case it may be possible to accept parcels on your neighbour's behalf or contrive a mix-up in the post. Once that's established, you may be able to lure them on to home turf with a cryptic note, but do make an attempt to hide the worst of the evidence first. Try to find some clean clothes, get the stains out of the hall carpet and hide the tins and bottles in a box.

I hope it works out for you.

TheRealMorris Wrote:

> Is it acceptable to approach your new next door

> neighbour if you take a liking to them?

>

> If yes, how should said approach be executed?

>

> Thanks.

I find waving at them from a bush in their back garden always leaves an impression. Especially as they turn in for the night.

If you have not done so already ask them round for a drink- coffee at the weekend- you could ask a few other neighbours at the same time.It is perfectly normal to host a little social gathering to introduce your neighbour to other neighbours. ( I amassuming you are both unattached- )

I'm really grateful for these fine suggestions, I'm not completely convinced with the woodpecker but I'm considering the other ideas. The neighbour in question is indeed female, however I regret to inform you all I haven't seen her for 4 days. Possibly she's avoiding me...

This is easy.ask her if she wants to go for a drink sometime. she'll know you like her if you ask that.if she says yes she may be interested. If she says no- she's busy/will get back to you etc (which all mean no) then she's not and you should leave it at that. don't try to befriend her and then ask her out. just ask her out. I had a neighbour that befriended me and we got chatting loads and I actually started liking having him as a neighbour UNTIL he asked me out. to me that ruined it because I didn't like him in that way at all and I knew that would be the end of the neighbour friendship as it would be too awkward after that.

The postman and delivery drivers always knock and ask us to take in parcels for next door. They also put a card through their door to say that their parcel is with us and the neighbours come and collect it. You just have to engineer the situation.

Bit of a long shot to think a new neighbour is going to know it is shewho is the object someone's neighbourly affections and the subject of this thread - even in these small environs.

I think it's romantic. Can't wait to hear what happens! I've come over all Gold Blend-ish...

TheRealMorris Wrote:

> That's a bit unnecessary isn't it Annette Curtain?

> Some might say there's a fine fine between being a

> creep and being a good old-fashioned romantic?

>

> Could it be you are feeling a tad jealous you

> aren't receiving such attention I wonder...

A fine line indeed... one that - should you manage to get it together with your neighbour and one night, in a fit of self-awareness mixed with modesty and narcissism, tell her about how you consulted 'the forum' about what to do - will become starkly obvious as she backs away from you with wide eyes and a "I think you should go..." trembling on her lips.

Or she may think it a hoot.