> honk - I haven't called a betting shop a problem -

> not in the last year anyway. I think the post I

> made on the previous page (20th Jan 2008) says all

> I need to say on that subject

>

> I was merely pointing out that your statement re:

> the public wants was simplistic to the point of

> being facile

Does anything on here ever elevate above the facile?

A betting shop would not open in ED if they thought they were going to lose money.

ergo there is demand.

Maybe not from the morally-superior denizens of this here forum, but there is demand.

We should have a rule that says that one cannot become a peer until at least 10 years have elapsed since you were an MP or Govt official.

MM's simple rules to improve both houses of parliament:

1. To become an MP an individual has to demonstrate a minimum of 10 years in employment unrelated to direct politics - IE Political research, lobby groups and political consultancy won't count.

2. Life peers, if appointed, may serve for a maximum of two terms. On completion they may retain the title but not return to the House of Lords or the Commons.

Neither will ever come about but if they were enacted it might, just might, bring some common sense to the legislature and avoid some of the ridiculous and atrocious laws we currently endure.

I actually agree with the honk, more or less.

If there wasn't demand for it, I doubt it would be opening up. The existing bookies seem to do a reasonable trade (there always seems to be people in them), and I don't think that the local "demographic" is as clear-cut as some people think. And at least it will presumably provide a little bit of local employment.

Tony.London Suburbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Moos Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Honk's voice is ever soft, gentle and low - an

> > excellent thing in woman.

>

> Honk is a Woman?

I was being silly. Cordelia was a woman. Honk may be of either sex, or both, or none.

Well said, PGC! It takes genius to be delicately trivial.