New betting shop at former Woolwich

Clyde

I reckon I am with ???? on this one.

They are just like coffee shops just for those with an interest in sport and betting. Or ploughing coins into machines.

At least there is an old fashioned honesty to the bookies way of ripping you off. I much prefer the slow robbery by bookies over the slow robbery of paying a stupid amount for a cup of coffee or a nick-nack from an overpriced trendy boutique.

Horses for courses, folks. Literally too.

The East Dulwich councillors have sent in objections to this application. The grounds for the refusal are severely estricted by Tessa Jowell's Gambling Act. In the past you had to prove there was a need for such a new facility. Now you have to show either that the owner is crooked or that there are vulnerable people nearby to prevent it.

Richard

Cllr Richard Thomas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The East Dulwich councillors have sent in

> objections to this application.

> Now you have to show either that the owner is

> crooked or that there are vulnerable people nearby

> to prevent it.

>

> Richard

And are you able to show either? If not, presumably your objection will be ignored and the new betting shop will go ahead.

The petition against the large William Hill on LL went nowhere because the magistrate's hands were tied - at the time, William Hill already had a licence for the smaller premises a few doors along from the Cheese Block and basically transferred that to the large, new premises. The magistrate did point out that she objected to more betting shops in the area and would have rejected it if it had been a new application.

But that's all water under the bridge now... http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/jan/12/consumeraffairs.gambling

... magistrates no longer have the power to rule on such matters.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Why is the arrival of Bet Fred fantastic? They don't lay a bet of more than a score if you're trying to back anything remotely lively, fail to honour advertised prices, and treat UK racing with such contempt they haven't even subscribed to Turf TV meaning you can't watch most decent racing live in their shop. They are a joke firm among anyone that treats punting even semi-seriously.

They are more interested in finding another location for the loathsome and dangerous FOBTs than being a bookmaker in any traditional sense. So, in effect, Lordship Lane has another arcade, aimed solely at getting people hooked in risk-free (for Bet Fred) roulette machines.

Bet Fred are all that is wrong with high street bookmakers, imo.

I like a bet as much as the next man but don't understand why betting shops do well, especially relatively "well to do" ED, I bet online, by phone or whatever, I don't understand why people still use betting shops.

I was walking past a betting shop with my 6 year old daughter on Sunday and she asked me what type of shop it was - I thought briefly and said - its where people go in, hand over money, try to tell the future, and if they get it right, they get some more money back.

I've been having semi regular bets for years but had never really thought of it that way until then.

Sorry, ????, I can't see the words Bet Fred without biting, and biting hard. The uninitiated wouldn't know the difference between a quality independent bookies, a Ladbrokes and a Bet Fred, in terms of the clientele each shop will tolerate. Just to confirm, if you have half a clue what you are doing, don't even bother with Bet Fred as you won't last long. If you want to play the machines, Bet Fred will make you feel most welcome.

telboy Wrote:

> I agre on the drink and drugs. So far as drink is

> concerned blame central government. They allowed

> the free for all on liquor licensed premises and

> made the situation worse by bringing in 24 hour

> drinking. Hence we have so many problems in our

> town centres.

It's just one consequence of the many legislative changes that have been brought in during the last 5 yerars. It's similar to the rash of lap-dancing venues that are now cropping up on high streets everywhere - caused by the change in licensing.

I blame it all on corruption within the houses of Commons/Lords- where they take cash for introducing/amending legislation.

The one that really typifies it is the new powers that water companies have to force people to have meters fitted. Once they are widely installed you can bet the water charges will sky rocket. There are several other examples

I couldn't believe it when Labour introduced the Gambling Act 2005. It goes counter to all of Labour's traditional values.

The old House of Lords used to pride itself in upholding values of integrity, honesty and common sense. That's all gone now and many of these newly appointed life peers are busy lining their pockets as consultants. We should have a rule that says that one cannot become a peer until at least 10 years have elapsed since you were an MP or Govt official.

Similarly, Brown has exploited the Lords by appointing Mandelson as a peer. This means he cannot be exposed to questions in the House of Commons. Nice one Gordon. As the Ho Chi Min said , keep your friends close to you but keep your enemies even closer!

Look at the situation with MP's own expenses. It's a damned disgrace. The system STINKS! Time for a clean out me thinks.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> >

> So THAT'S why society is so sorted and we don't

> have any problems any more... people get what they

> want!

>

> Cordelia, is that you?

Calling a betting shop a 'problem' is surely purely subjective.

Why is that a 'problem' and a pub isn't?

I guess betting shops don't sell upmarket bangers and mash for ?11 and do a kid's menu.