Is the comedy night in EDT any good?

isn't Crepe Suzette the name of the Patsy Kensit character in Absolute Beginners? Great book, less good film

aaanyway - cheers for the heads up Tillie - although by now Mike P, mark and a couple of others are regulars at the comedy night so their opinion equally valid

Sort answer to the question: Yes, absolutely!

Longer answer: Joe Rowntree who runs and comperes the club has done a really good job in establishing a second comedy club in the area (more on the other in a mo) As the months have passed, the crowd is a mixture of first-timers and regulars and teh atmosphere has grown accordingly

Depending on what comedy clubs you normally go to (Jongleurs?? Please say no!) it's ambience may seem odd... It is one of the most civilised venues I've been to (table service for food and drink) in a lovely room. The acts booked have been very, very good - I've been to most (well, lots) of the clubs listed in Time Out - many no longer with us - and I have a preference for small, shambolic rooms but there are very few places like this. Put it this way, I have pretty much been at every show since I first went last year.

I'll be there this Thursday, along with a couple of other forumites and anyone reading is more than welcome to join us if they like.

Slight warning: If you are new to comedy generally however the headliner this Thursday is highly rated but not for the faint-hearted.

edit: ooh look - speaking of Mike P, he beat me to it!

indeed Adam, I'm often to be found there too. Went with some chums last night and were unfortunate to encounter pretty mediocre compere and first act - but then an hour of Stewart Lee was genius. (not everyone in the group agreed but then again Lee's stuff will divide opinion)

He did about 2/3rds of his most recent show

http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/press/41stbeststandup/2007-july-21-swsl.htm

I would pay money to see it again today

Adam_W Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've never been to the EDT for comedy I'll have to

> check it out. I have made the trip down to the old

> ED Comedy night, now in Forest Hill, and it can be

> pretty good.

>

> http://www.edcomedy.com/

Oh I used to love the old EDcomedy at the EDT in the mid - late 1990s. The best night I had there was One Word Improv with Eddie Izzard, Stephen Frost, Suki Webster and Neil Mullarkey.

x

The comedy at the EDT every other Thursday is very good, I tend to laugh a lot when I go. Joe Rowntree (the organiser/compere) is a very funny guy on his own right and the acts vary enormously and I never know what to expect but I do come out having laughed. You can book a table, which is what we tend to do and if you want to come and join our table this Thursday then please feel free.

You can read about this Thursday's acts here

I often find myself laughing much less at Stewart lee gig's than others - but as interesting and humorous people are in shorter supply than most others it's an exchange I'm more than happy to make

As much as I go to comedy clubs it's isn't always laughter I'm after. As one of the few art-forms left which isn't directly open to outside interference, where someone can basically say what they want and STILL get paid I cherish intelligence and humour and wit more than gag-merchants

"The very CONCEPT that the Carphone Warehouse has values other than sell phones...."

The show resonates much more than at-the-time-hilarious acts. And rewards multiple viewings wheras I often hear people complaining that other comics repeat jokes all the time.. because, heard once, that's it

All my own views of course... they don't represent those of The East Dulwich Forum

Thanks Sean and everyone else for your replies - this definitely sounds interesting. And Mark, yes, would love to join your (and Sean's/Mark's) table together with Mr Crepe. I posted a similar message on the What's On board - not sure if you'd come back to this thread. Thanks for the invitation! Will buy the tickets tonight.