What is going on at Luca?s bakery?

jimmyi

The opening time for this business on their own web site is 0830hrs, Monday to Saturday; however they seem incapable of opening at the time stated. In fact it seems to be the rule for the doors to be closed; the till isn?t ready; they have no float; rather than the exception. If the staff are not able to open at the correct time perhaps they should change it to 0900hrs. Whatever time they say they are going to be open, they should do that and be consistent. I am getting rather bored of turning up to buy a loaf and being greeted by a locked door. Not only this the staff attitude to this is rather rude ? standing gesturing to suggest they have no idea what time they will open isn?t good enough. Perhaps with customer service in mind it may be an idea to open the door and try and have a conversation with the person waiting. Just a suggestion.

It would seem that Busineses like Luca's think they are doing us all a favour.

Gone are the days when it would take years to build up a business.

People just want to get rich over night. Showing total contempt for their customers.

They show no commitment to their work no pride in what they do..

Having an over-rated sense of importance... Customers are just a thorn in their sides.

Best to boycott them ... They do not deserve our trade.

Have a walk down to Ayres.. 30 mins there and back. and you will feel great after thw exercise... ;-)

and they do delicious Low GI Bread.

Fox

or might i suggest hirst bakers ,open from 7am fresh bread every morning ,they also do a low g i loaf which i know from experience is delicious ,you will be greated with a smile from the friendly staff who even at such an hour are ready and prepared for your custom .p.s. its a lot closer then ayres .

Just tried the Hirst GI bread...

It's very nice but also very light...(Weight)

Low GI Bread is usually very dense and heavy. Due to way it is made (Not just the ingriedients)

Low GI is acheived by A Short Proving with no second Proving and being baked for longer at a lower temperature.

If allowed to rise, the GI value will be higher.

The Ayres bread is very heavy and dense and chewy ?2.20 for a small loaf.

Hirst's bread is very light ?1.60 for a larger loaf.

I'll have to try the Badger Bakery..

Fox

It amazes me the lack of regard ED's cafes have for their punters.

I took two pals to the French Cafe on Forest Hill Road a few weeks ago and stumped up ?35 for 3 very basic breakfasts and some coffees - their profit margins would make an oil barron blush! Same with Luca's come to think about it! I walked past the Co-Op on the way home desperately trying not to wonder how much change from a tenner I would have got if I'd bought it and cooked at home.

Such an irony that there is SO MUCH support for local independents in East Dulwich by the residents, yet they seem to take their customers for granted in a way that many chains wouldn't dare do. The only place I can reliably get a coffee on the way to work in the morning at a fair price is Cafe Nero! (open at 7am every day apart from sunday - they have a lie in and open at 730 on the dot!)

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It would seem that Busineses like Luca's think

> they are doing us all a favour.

>

> Gone are the days when it would take years to

> build up a business.

>

> People just want to get rich over night. Showing

> total contempt for their customers.

>

> They show no commitment to their work no pride in

> what they do..

>

> Having an over-rated sense of importance...

> Customers are just a thorn in their sides.

>

> Best to boycott them ... They do not deserve our

> trade.

>

>

> Fox

Sounds rather like Jacks to me....

• 5 months later...

Last week was the last straw at this place.

After waiting in the queue for ages watching five members of staff - who looked as though they had been up all night - blundering about changing the music I:

first got ignored while one of them served his friend who was queuing behind me,

then had to remind them of the order several times which they acknowledged with sulky grunts,

watched them handle food without using the gloves provided (no hygiene certs anywhere),

watched two sets of seated customers leave in frustration after having waited for their orders for too long

reminded them of the order again which they got wrong and, after being addressed in a long-suffering way as 'Madam' by one of the ignorant little tics left my order and exited never to return.

I shall get my caffeine and pastry fix elsewhere in future and would rather take the longer walk down to Blackbird where they at least seem to know what they're doing.

Luca's sucks.

Toldyouso Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's a shame if their service is going downhill as

> I like some of the food they serve and the bread

> is good too.

xxxxxx

It's not "going" downhill, judging by numerous posts on this forum over a long period of time it's been rock bottom for a very long time.

I remember when they sold bread from a table outside the fishmongers and I was pleased that they planned to open a shop as the bread was always great, well priced, and the service was excellent.

Sadly this is no longer the case and i have long since stopped using this place and am amazed anyone still does.

Oh dear, Luca's is a new discovery for us, until yesterday we'd only been there at quiet times and were impressed by the flat whites. Also like the fact you can see some greenery with their tiny garden. We didn't eat there yesterday because they forgot our food order but the member of staff was so very apologetic we thought they were just having a bad day. We'll probably try again and hope things come right - come on Luca's show you can improve things!

It's all such a shame because it sounds as though people used to really like them. I don't understand why some companies don't seem to appreciate that a good reputation is priceless and is only earned through good customer service and a job well done. I can think of another shop or two on Lordship Lane that needs to learn that lesson though.

• 2 weeks later...

The service here has always been awful. When you get your food, it's nice but it's not worth being constantly ignored for ten minutes, then the staff wander over, ask you what you want, only to be surprised when you say 'a menu please!'.

No intention of returning anymore.

I tried to buy a loaf there a few months ago on a Saturday morning. The place appeared to be open (the door certainly was), music was on, someone was behind the till standing there with a glazed expression on her boat. I was told I was too early and to come back when they opened. I didn't.

We had a bad experience at Lucas too, terrible service. Served our food, cutlery accidentally dropped on the floor, waitress went over to another table and picked up the knife and fork with dirty hands on the eating portion of the cutlery and handed it to us like that. Disgraceful.

Best service we got was from a kiwi girl at The Draft House and the worst we got was at La Chandelier

• 1 month later...
Have had a most enjoyable lunch there today. Super coffee and veggie soup, piping hot, with real bread. The carrot cake was delicious and not over-sweet. But what impressed me most was seeing the staff scrub - yes 'elbow grease' and hot water - all tables as they became free, instead of simply spraying on chemicals.

Archived