Moving to Hillcourt Road

Good evening everyone,

This is my maiden post on these forums so do forgive me if I inadvertently break any protocols.

I am due to move to hillcourt road in the next few months.

By way of preparation I would be really interested to hear what people think of both hillcourt and the immediate surrounds/ environs. Mainly keen to hear your thoughts, views, experiences on:

- personal safety

- friendliness

- problems (ie, nuisance kids etc)

- infrastructural services (water, waste collection)

- property price trends

- crime

- nice areas, activities, things of local interest

Dont hold back on details.

Otherwise, hello to all and am hoping to enjoy my time on the forum and Dulwich.

RockyZool

Hi RockyZool, welcome to ED and the EDF!

I see you've learnt an important lesson already: there are hidden protocols on the EDF set by 'elite' posters (by volume) so best preface even the most innocuous post with a pre-emptive apology!

I recommend you head down to Homemade for breakfast one morning, followed by a stroll in Peckham Rye Park. You?re also close to the old cemetery which has its charms. ED, like any other London 'hood, has its negative aspects, but for me at least these are heavily outweiged by the postives. Enjoy!

I've just moved away from Hillcourt as our landlords sold our flat and sadly we couldn't afford to buy it. We loved it there. It's a great street on which I always felt safe and all the neighbours seemed really nice (we lived just off the middle of the street, a little more towards Underhill Road). No problems with noise or antisocial behaviour.

It can feel a little quiet and out of the way late at night but actually this is a good thing as its tucked-away nature meant that few people knew it was there and you didn't get any dodgy characters hanging out.

That said, I once had to tell off some teenagers for hiding weed in my front garden (in the daytime) but hopefully the rollicking scuppered their amateur drug-dealing. Well, probably not but I hope it helped put them off.

The only issue we sometimes had was the water pressure can be quite rubbish in the morning (between 7am and 8am especially), so if you're showering at that time you may need to be prepared to do so under a dribble.

I second the shout out for Homemade on Barry Road and the cluster of shops on Forest Hill Rd. You're really well placed for both Dulwich and Peckham Rye parks there and buses to Peckham Rye for the station (much more useful than ED), plus if you don't have a car the P13 will take you to Sainsbury's and back which is really handy.

see you've learnt an important lesson already: there are hidden protocols on the EDF set by 'elite' posters (by volume) so best preface even the most innocuous post with a pre-emptive apology! http://www.keyforex.info/g.gif

It can feel a little quiet and out of the way late at night but actually this is a good thing as its tucked-away nature meant that few people knew it was there and you didn't get any dodgy characters hanging out. http://www.keyforex.info/g.gif

Thanks for the range of insights.

I have to say that the view was one of the main incentives, as was being a little removed from busy roads and high streets. I'm glad that you didn't generally experience anti social behaviour. I did notice that there is a rather enormous housing estate type development (that I now know to be called Dawson Heights). Would you have any info on Dawson Heights and its residents?

I live opposite Dawsons Heights on Overhill Road. I too wondered about it when I first viewed my property, so I decided to visit the street at different times of day and night to see what it was like - always very quiet. I also wandered through the grounds of the flats, and found it quiet and very well kept. The flats are a mix of local authority/housing assc and privately owned. I don't know a lot more about it other than from my neighbour who has lived on Overhill for 50 years! He says the improvement in the area in the past few years has been amazing. Make sure you visit the little convenience shop on Overhill which is part of the flats, and a pleasant stroll up Donkey Alley from Hillcourt - a lovely and friendly Asian family run it. I've only been here since March but I love it. Worry not! (tu)

We live on Overhill road. Been here for five years and love it, especially the view! Great neighbours. I echo all the points made re shops on Forest Hill Road as well as the cemetary and parks as they are great for walking t dogs and children :-)

You are perhaps our new neighbours? The house next door to us has just sold, on Hillcourt Road. I think it's a great street to live on. Quiet, being a bit away from Lordship Lane, but close enough to walk everywhere- Dulwich park, Peckham Rye, the strip of handy shops on Forest Hill and it's only a brisk 10/15 minute walk to the lane itself, with great places to shop and eat.

Parking is rarely a problem and the people we chat to on Hillcourt are all very friendly, look after eachother's cats etc, most neighbourly!

I never even notice there is a large estate just up Donkey alley. We've lived here for about 5 years and never had any problems or unsettling behaviour in the area. You do get people doing school drop offs to Goodrich at 9am each day, but that only causes a jam on the street for a short time during term. Mostly mums stopping their cars in the middle of the road, parking all over the place!?!

Probably the most noise and disturbance would come from my energetic toddlers!

Welcome to Hillcourt Road. Hope the move goes well.