Dulwich Medical Centre...can't get an appointment

What is it with this surgery! Why is it so difficult to get an appointment? Its at least a 4 week wait to get a doctors appointment, what if its serious? The phone lines open at 8am and are constantly engaged, by the time you get through all the appointments are gone for that day. I actually had to turn up at the surgery door at 8am to get an appointment and was surprised by the number of people doing the same thing? How is that acceptable? Where does one complain to? Or has it been like that for ages and we all just accept it?

Hi

This surgery had always been like this. It's a complete nightmare. You can never get through on the phone - yet when you are sat in the waiting room - none of the reception staff seem to be on the phone. One particular receptionist lady is so rude that I feel relived when she is not there or someone else answers the phone (when it does get answered).

The one thing I will say is that you can normally ask for a dr to call you back and speak to you over the phone. Also if you stress it is urgent - they do have emergency appointments which start after 10 I think - but they don't give these out easily.

I have been advised to change to the crystal palace road surgery.

As far as I'm aware Melbourne Grove is separate from the 2 DMCs I know of - Chadwick Road and Crystal Palace Road. The Crystal Palace Road DMC and the waiting times to get an appointment there have been discussed at length on various threads. There seems to have been a change a few months ago but it's not clear to me why we have to wait so long, what, if anything, is being done about it and whether or not it is deemed acceptable by DMC or the relevant part of the NHS.

ETA: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,820674

Yes, Melbourne Grove is unrelated to DMC (Chadwick and Crystal Palace Road).

Vixster, don't bother changing to DMC on Crystal Palace Road, the average waiting time for an appointment seems to be around 4 weeks. There are some same days appointments if you queue before it opens (8am), but clearly this is not convenient (or even possible) for many of us.

Alec - it doesn't seem entirely implausible that the previous glowing recommendations for the surgery on these very pages (and the complete ineptitude of Melbourne Grove) has led to an influx of patients beyond their capacity.

Jessie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I find trying to get an appointment at cpr dmc

> vexing if not impossible on the rare day(though

> they *always* see my son). But I have nothing but

> praise for the admin staff there.

xxxxx

I went there yesterday at 8am and got an appointment yesterday at 9am.

I'm not complaining! But then I only live round the corner so it's easier for me.

I've never had an issue with politeness but getting an appointment is so hard. I have never been able to get through on the phone at 8 before and when I asked if the only way to get an appointment for on the same day or within the next few weeks was to queue outside for 8, I was told yes. I like many other people am on my way to work then so it's not possible for a large chunk of the community to get an appointment within about 3 weeks.

I don't know what the solution is other than refusing new patients but possibly offering some same day appointments on-line might be fairer. I didn't know about the being phoned back by a doctor system so that's great to know - they should promote that a bit better.

Melbourne Grove . . .Dont get me started! Trying to get an appointment is a nightmare.Have to say phone usually answered ok (you are queue position 1 etc) and receptionists vary from polite to indifferent. In all fairness its not their fault there are never any available appointments!!

If you're in area, I've never waited more than two days for an appointment at Forest Hill road group practice and often get offered same day. Their phone system is a bit annoying as it's an 0845 number, but you can almost always get through.

dmc chadwick road thats us.

well we been having wait 2 weeks for certain gp appointments.they now have on trail a phone triage system or go wait 8 am or go lister centre......

and now triaged appointments cartn get work sick note.or go for long term conditons.......even though they can bring on sudden need be seen by gp.

they changed there phone system aswell.

and do now have a gp available monday to friday for emergecny (non AE CASE)appointments.firstly your assessed on phone if needs see you then appointment otherwise phone consultation instead.

only know this as saw posters about it in surgery,,,,,,takes head read notices when go there..or you no nada.

polite receponists.always helpful.

doctors good.they need more full time Gps that would ease issue.and maybe like dentists if dont go for 2 years taken off list maybe extreme.....

or maybe the triage system will work wonders.....

inkyjunior1 Wrote:

-- maybe like dentists if dont

> go for 2 years taken off list maybe extreme.....

>

xxxxxxx

But surely it's a completely different scenario to dentists.

You normally only go to a GP if you are ill, so if you don't need to go for 2 years, surely that's a good thing for them?

Whereas with a dentist you need reasonably regular check-ups. Or are they just conning us into thinking that we do?

I'm at DMC Chadwick Road and have never had any problem. The receptionists are friendly, the doctors are great (and I have experienced quite a few of them)and I have even had a couple of home vists from them. It doesn't necessarily bother me that I don't see the same doctor every time but I have always found them very helpful at trying to fit you in, or suggest a phone call from the doctor.

Thanks for sharing your expeiences, I was talking about Dulwich Medical Centre on Chystal Palace Rd. I think the staff are fine and polite. I guess they should just fess up and say they don't actually answer the phone between 8am and 9am (its off the hook) thats why it is constantly engaged as they have come to realise that those REALLY wanting an appointment will turn up at 8am and start queing...not great at all! The doctors are fine once you get to see one, it is getting to see one that is the issue. I wonder how many missed appointments they have in a week? Think people should be charged for their missed appointments!

Is the phone really off the hook between 8am and 9am? I'm not doubting your word, just wonder how you know?

I once years ago (not in ED) needed an urgent appointment with my dentists and couldn't get through on the phone, so when I eventually in desperation went there in person - yes, the phone was off the hook, in full view of patients.

GRRRRRRRR.

I'm just guessing its off the hook because the phone queuing system doesn't even kick in when you call between those hours, it is just the engaged tone, anyhow that has been my experince. May have to consider changing doctors surgery.

Syd's Girl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm just guessing its off the hook because the

> phone queuing system doesn't even kick in when you

> call between those hours, it is just the engaged

> tone, anyhow that has been my experince. May have

> to consider changing doctors surgery.

xxxxxxxxx

If you can be bothered to persevere you do eventually get through, in my experience, but you have to keep rehitting the "recall" button immediately you get the engaged tone.

It's not surprising it's busy, because obviously everybody is trying to get through first thing in the morning. They really should have more lines.

Because I live five minutes walk away I don't usually bother trying to get through on the phone any more, unless I really am too ill to get dressed and walk round the corner.

But I sympathise with people who have a longer journey to get there (or who have to get to work).