Support our own East Dulwich tree sellers

Don't think it's fair to have a go at the operator. If they've come to an agreement with the council, it's the council who should have to answer for it. Does seem quite without precedent though and I am no more keen on it than any of you. There are so many places in the area already to get trees, I'm stunned Tree Amigos thought there'd be room in the market for such a large operation.

I'd love to know what the financial arrangements are but I imagine they'll hide behind 'commercial sensitivity.'

But I definitely think Southwark need to explain themselves. I don't want to see commercial activity on the green again save for the Dulwich Festival and similar.

once again a mention for the xmas tree sellers at the plough that donate to St Christophers Hospice.

I think we should boycott Tree Amigos personally plus have emailed the southwark email address with a request for an idea of the amount southwark are receiving for the loss of a public space.

Our flat overlooks the greens and the generator used to power the lights can be heard clearly from inside our flat (from 3pm to 10pm yesterday)!! Surely we cannot be subject to this everyday for the next month? Were any residents consulted? I also totally agree with others re huge area of public space taken up and it being an absolute eyesore. I cannot see any benefit for the green to be used for this purpose, especially when so many local businesses provide trees already.

Are they definitely diesel generators? If so I?m even more appalled at Southwark Council for allowing this, the same council that recently declared a climate emergency and paid for ivy green screening to help keep diesel fumes away from the children playing in the playground side of the park.

I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the tree street traders have to buy a licence to trade; I assume that those around the north end of LL (i.e. near Goose Green) did so unaware that a very large and new competitor was being let in to the area - on a prime site - and although I am sure that these are paying a higher price, I wonder whether our traditional traders still see their licences as such value for money. Caveat emptor, of course, but I see local supply of trees as being of local benefit, and clearly competitive. But sometimes a large competitor can distort the market.

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How about people stop buying real trees that are

> dumped as soon as xmas is over? Just more needless

> waste.

Agree or get a real one with the roots and replant it somewhere after Christmas? If that's possible.

It's taking up a very large area on GG but along with the other points. I hope they are going Tu pay for the returfing as the ground will have been turned to mud as per what has happened when a similar enterprise set up in Brockwell park... So this lengthens the time is public land out of action

I think if your objection is to a 'non local tree seller' then it is - but the comments on this thread seem more focussed on the inappropriateness of using communal green space which should be available to the whole community for a commercial venture, and linked to this whether the site is powered by a constantly running diesel generator.

Thankfully their generator stopped early today (Sunday) and the constant drone or thrum (depending on your ears) has discontinued.

A friend (used to be an East Dulwich resident) contacted me out of the blue after driving past "It looks like an alien spaceship has landed on Goose Green!)

After the discussion on this forum what is the best course of action to express our concerns?

1. Use of community facility for commercial enterprise.

- commercial damage to local traders

- no consultation

- exclusion of ordinary users from Green

- state of Goose Green afterwards

2. Nuisance to residents

- light pollution

- noise pollution

- parking issues

hopefully the good people of ED will not support them, and if really want to get a tree, buy from the ones raising money for the local charities, and they will just realise it's not financially viable and so not bother to return next year. ..

Better though If everyone donated the money spent on xmas trees that then get chucked outside after Christmas, to go to plant a tree that will live for years instead..that would be a good thing. https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/support-us/give/plant-100k/

I use twigs painted and decorate with lots of lovely things and a few sparkly lights...still looks festive!

"Advent and Christmas wreaths are constructed of evergreens to represent everlasting life brought through Jesus and the circular shape of the wreath represents God, with no beginning and no end. ... While Advent wreaths are erected on stands or placed on tables, Christmas wreaths are often hung on doors or walls" source: google

Christmas tree's - http://www.victoriana.com/christmas/tree-99.htm