Support our own East Dulwich tree sellers

mrwb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do any local seller do a tree like this:?

>

> https://www.amazon.co.uk/GardenersDream-Nordmann-G

> rown-Christmas-Tree/dp/B07ZZH7DWK/ref=asc_df_B07ZZ

> H7DWK/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=399666076754&hvpos

> =1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=414691623115009244&hvpone=&hv

> ptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=

> 9045890&hvtargid=pla-842704733999&ref=&adgrpid=848

> 09710723&th=1

>

> Potted so can be planted after Christmas and then

> re-used?

>

> Only 2ft, to start with, but presumably will get

> bigger every year.

Probably you can get one in a garden centre.

I have one which has been growing in a pot for about four years.

I can't remember where I got it. It may have been Homebase. You could phone around and ask. Shannon's in Forest Hill may sell them, or if not may know where you can get one.

I think the people up on the South Circular at the entrance to the Cricket Club may do them, too (next to Cox's Walk).

ETA: But mine was bigger than the one on Amazon to start with. They come in various sizes even though pot grown.

Make sure it is really pot grown and not just dug up from the ground and stuck in a pot for Christmas though! If it has, its roots will probably be damaged.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> Do people know why we have trees and wreaths at

> Christmas? Or do they just buy them?

>

> I would suggest largely the latter.

I imagine most people do it because it's a tradition handed down over the years.

I bring greenery (and lights) into the house to celebrate the solstice on 21 December, when the days start getting longer.

Except this year I've got to do it earlier than the solstice because I've got a zillion family members coming and they will expect a tree etc :))

My tree lives on my allotment most of the year (in a pot).

OK, as you were :))

As far as is known, wreaths date back to pagan rituals to mark the change of seasons. Given that Christmas is essentially a rehash of the pagan winter solstice festival, I would think a lot of these things have their roots in that. The yule log was definitely part of a pagan ritual. Any religious symbolism involving Christ is a relatively recent invention.

At the risk of being very unpopular I'm afraid I did buy my tree from tree amigos. I can only carry the tree home from there or from the EDT and I visited both. I really wanted to buy from EDT but it was just a much nicer experience with the new guys. Super friendly and knowledgable with more tree options and it felt more relaxed and christmassy wandering around the green than trying to negotiate the roundabout. They also have really clear pricing whereas the EDT seem to just make up the prices depending who they're speaking to ( myself and my husband were given different prices for the same tree )

Sorry that others disapprove but I also live on the green and just wanted to give a balance - we don't all hate them!

shell Wrote:

> At the risk of being very unpopular I'm afraid I

> did buy my tree from tree amigos. I can only carry

> the tree home from there or from the EDT and I

> visited both. I really wanted to buy from EDT but

> it was just a much nicer experience with the new

> guys. Super friendly and knowledgable with more

> tree options and it felt more relaxed and

> christmassy wandering around the green than trying

> to negotiate the roundabout. They also have really

> clear pricing whereas the EDT seem to just make up

> the prices depending who they're speaking to (

> myself and my husband were given different prices

> for the same tree )

>

> Sorry that others disapprove but I also live on

> the green and just wanted to give a balance - we

> don't all hate them!

well said shell

The council needs to explain how they can declare a Climate Emergency then sanction this operation which is burning diesel to power it?s lights in the middle of beautiful sunny day. Totally unnecessary.

I hope our local councillors can help resolve this quickly.

Does anyone know if anyone official is doing anything about this,I?m sure people don?t want to be listening

To generators this weekend again or our children inhaling

Diesel fumes in this small park.as for there tree there at least 20 pounds plus more expensive

Than the cherry trees and they deliver

Big trees free

bels123 Wrote:

> The council needs to explain how they can declare

> a Climate Emergency then sanction this operation

> which is burning diesel to power it?s lights in

> the middle of beautiful sunny day. Totally

> unnecessary.

>

> I hope our local councillors can help resolve this

> quickly.

a little bit of nit picking about burning diesel to power it?s lights in the middle of beautiful sunny day. Totally unnecessary.

go in any shop in london and you see lot's of lights on and heaters on but that's ok is it ???

i just can't see why some people can't deal with a bit of competition i just don't know.

I got my tree from EDT for ?25. We are very happy with it. But it?s round the corner from me so it suited my needs.

shell Wrote:

> for the same tree )

>

> don't all hate them!

christine56 Wrote:

> Does anyone know if anyone official is doing

> anything about this,I?m sure people don?t want to

> be listening

> To generators this weekend again or our children

> inhaling

> Diesel fumes in this small park...

The small park surrounded by roads including a main bus route? I'd be surprised if you could hear the generators or notice the increase in fumes over what is already there.

I somewhat agree over the issue of public land use but not the complaints of fumes and noise on a very busy road that is already full of fumes and noise...

shell Wrote:

> for the same tree )

>

> don't all hate them!

Well said, I stopped buying trees at the EDT years ago as found the pricing inconsistent and the sellers a little rude and pushy.

We were priced out of buying real trees a few years back when Plantnation closed down (Could get a 7ft delivered for ?30-40!) so makes no difference to us - good luck to them all, a little competition may stop the local sellers becoming complacent.

That said - As I've said above - I do take some issue with the use of public land but it is only for a month.

Southwark Life, on our doorstep this morning:

Front cover:

?Seasonal shopping

Support local businesses this Christmas?

Page 10:

Shop Local this Christmas________________________________

Southwark is full is exciting independent shops, all hoping for your custom this Christmas.

Below we have highlighted a small selection of varied and interesting places to shop, but do get out and about

and explore what?s on offer in your local area.?

Page 11

?Free Parking this Christmas

Southwark Council is supporting local businesses in the run up to Christmas and the New Year

by making free parking available, with Pay and Display charges waived for every Saturday in December

through the festive period.......?

Continues on pages 12 and 13.

Not going wade into pros/cons of buying from Tree Amigos but just wanted to add support to residents re: noise. I don't live around Goose Green, but do yoga at Goose Green Clinic opposite. The room does have single-glazed windows but I was really surprised by how loud the generator sound was! It was around 7pm and for some reason the sound really rumbled and carried past the other traffic noise. At first, I thought it was my tinnitus playing up! Do feel sorry for anyone living nearby who is suffering from the noise/light pollution...

Hi all

Thanks to everyone who emailed about that. Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been liaising with the council on it and everything is much slower during the general election.

I have just sent out the email below to residents who contacted me.

Best wishes

James

----

Dear all

I am writing to you because you contacted me regarding the 'Tree Amigos' event on Goose Green Park. I only became aware of it when local residents contacted me. There was consultation about it back in July, where no issues were raised, but it is fair to say that it was not as well promoted as it should have been.

The Tree Amigos event is in many ways the kind that the council should support:

- the trees are sustainably grown

- they offer craft workshops for children

- it will accommodate Goose Green primary school?s Christmas Carol event on the 12th December

- it helps to raise revenue for the council's important services, after almost a decade of brutal cuts

However, I do not believe that it is well-suited for Goose Green Park. Above all, residents and traders have raised concerns that there are already local businesses who sell Christmas trees in the area and they risk losing business from this event appearing well after their business plans were set.

As a result, we have agreed with the council that Tree Amigos will not be invited back to Goose Green Park in future years.

In the meantime, I want to reassure everyone of the following:

- The council will reimburse the licensing fees for the local tree sellers who may lose out from this decision

- If there is any damage to the park's ground, Tree Amigos will be will be to cover the costs of any reinstatement that?s required.

- The noisy generator has been replaced with a quieter more efficient model.

I have cc?ed in council officers Aileen Cahill [[email protected]] and Charlie Simm [[email protected]] who have offered to answer any further questions you may have.

I hope that this allays some of your concerns. Many apologies for the problems caused by this issue.

Best wishes

James