random stuff

El Pibe

Ten years ago, someone crashed into the back of my car on Purley Way. Despite giving me his name and number, and having a few good natured phone calls, he soon disappeared off the radar, and the insurance company couldn't get in touch with him.

A few years later, I realised that this was the man who had crashed into my car:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_William_Hardison

Riots and ragtime

and waaaaay before the like of Lady Gaga *spits* "there was a clause in the insurance contract stipulating that she must never wash the dishes."

and just for interest, that corner today

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=82+Railton+Road,+London&hl=en&ll=51.457871,-0.10819&spn=0.007327,0.014033&sll=51.528642,-0.101599&sspn=0.468191,0.898132&oq=82+railton&hnear=82+Railton+Rd,+London+Borough+of+Lambeth,+London+SE24,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.457963,-0.108315&panoid=jIHhLPjE4zSWBpMkvL37Rg&cbp=12,182.41,,0,7.98tonk-woman-winifred-atwell-and-the-railton-road-in-brixton/

and this quote could put the cat among the pigeons in the class thread

"Whether the Queen?s spirits needed lifting as well we don?t know but Winifred performed later at a private performance for the Queen and Princess Margaret at Buckingham Palace where she played Roll Out the Barrel and other Royal favourites."

Croaky-voiced 80s pop star Paul Young was doing a book signing in the foyer of our office building today. Nobody was interested, and the poor guy looked bored and rather embarrassed.

The last guy to do a book signing in our building was Italian TV chef Gino D'Acampo. Back in the 90s, Gino D'Acampo served two years in prison after burgling Paul Young's house.

• 2 weeks later...

coooool, lightning in super duper slow motion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mB5rM8WHU

"It starts with a branching bundle of charge?the ?leader??descending from the cloud. This is what you see in the first part of the video. It spreads downward at speeds of tens to hundreds of kilometers per second, covering the few kilometers to the ground in a few dozen milliseconds.

The leader carries comparatively little current?on the order of 200 amps. That?s still enough to kill you, but it?s nothing compared to what happens next. Once the leader makes contact with the ground, the cloud and the ground equalize with a massive discharge of more like 20,000 amps. This is the blinding flash you see. It races back up the channel at a significant fraction of the speed of light, covering the distance in under a millisecond?all within a single frame of that video.

(Technical detail: while it?s called a ?return stroke?, charge is still flowing downward. However, the discharge appears to propagate upward. This effect similar to how when a traffic light turns green, the cars in front start moving, then the cars in back, so the movement appears to spread backward.)"

• 5 weeks later...