Olympic ceremony tonight and getting to Greenwich tomorrow

PN33

Hello,

My sisters have tickets to the equestrian event in Greenwich tomorrow and are coming down to stay with me for the weekend. I have a couple of questions;

- Is the Olympic ceremony being shown in any of the pubs in ED tonight?

- How would you get to Greenwich for 08.30 tomorrow morning? I think the Jubilee Line from London Bridge will be chaos. The best idea I had was a cab to Queens Road Peckham and then the 171 bus, although that road into Greenwich might also be carnage.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I believe the EDT is showing the opening ceremony.

The road into Greenwich is pretty bad at the best of times and I guess there is likely to be Olympic Lanes in operation, so not sure how reliable the bus will be. You could get the train from Denmark Hill to Lewisham and then the DLR (or bus, cab or walk from there)?

Trains into Blackheath only seem to be coming from Charing Cross; I don't know if that's because of the games or because it's so early on a Saturday. I've booked a cab from ED to Blackheath and it's only ?15 so I figured it's probably not worth the mither of public transport, which for 2 people would probably have come close to ?10 anyway.

Thanks guys!

I thought the 177 was being diverted away from Greenwich, meaning a long walk to the park from the nearest stop. The DLR from Lewisham seems like a better option.

Any more thoughts from anyone who has been there/done that etc would be welcome, as I'm going on Tuesday.

Thanks.

I can highly recommend a route to the Olympic Park. Peckham Rye to Blackheath, then 108 bus to Stratford. Tried and tested both ways yesterday. Not a single hitch. It took 1hr 20mins max. No crowds. I was so surprised but it worked like clockwork.

aquarius moon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I thought the 177 was being diverted away from

> Greenwich, meaning a long walk to the park from

> the nearest stop. The DLR from Lewisham seems like

> a better option.

xxxxxx

We got a 177 to Greenwich yesterday (and back).

It was really easy. The 177 is very frequent and starts at Peckham Bus Station.

There is a short diversion at Greenwich but the bus still comes out at (and stops in) the town centre so it is no problem.

There was quite a lot of traffic at a couple of points, but we still got from Peckham Bus Station to Greenwich town centre in less than half an hour.

There is a convenient stop for coming back in Nelson Road (I think it's called Nelson Road).

ETA: However a weekday may be different from a Sunday. Also we left around lunchtime, so anybody going for the olympic events would probably have been earlier.

Don't bother phoning the TfL helpline, who were useless. First they suggested going by train (erm, but the website says to avoid London Bridge). Then they couldn't say whether the traffic was bad or whether buses were being delayed.

katgod Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> London Bridge this morning at 9am was eerily

> deserted. Same for the Jubillee line. Best journey

> to work I have had in ages. Really. Not being

> funny or ironic it was just much much quiter than

> usual.

xxxxxxx

It's because they've told everybody to avoid them, so everybody is taking alternative routes!

I also heard that London Bridge was fine yesterday.