Controlled Parking Zone - West Peckham

trinidad

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lewisham has just raised its ?120 a year charge

> for residents parking to ?140 (in a year).

> Southwark won't be far behind, I'm sure, as

> parking charges are not covered by any central

> controls. Those who voted for CPZs have just

> signed blank cheques in the council's name. And

> not just on their behalfs.

If I recall correctly Southwarks parking charge has gone up by a total of ?5 in the last 15 years or so. As a former Lewisham Resident, in the same time frame their parking charge has almost doubled and is raised far more frequently.

I live on Oglander road and parked last night on a section of the road (one that I have been parking on for 15 years) that is just as it has always been with no white lines. The white lines are drawn in boxes with seemly quite a few spaces that are no inside boxes but are just free spaces (ie not a disabled space, not across a driveway, no yellow lines. I wonder why they have just left areas like this ? Would I now get a ticket if I park in one of these after the 30th March?

They've started filling in yellow lines in a lot of those spaces, it's just been a lot of line painting which has to be done thanks to the large areas going over to new zones. So those areas will disappear.

There is someone on here who always goes on about how appalling it is that so much public land (the sides of the roads) is given over to parking. These double yellows now reserve quite a bit of that land for the exclusive use of a very small number of homeowners to get to and from their own private parking spaces. A true victory for cycling!

I have bought a month long permit online. The system couldn't verify me, so it would not allow me to pay for longer. I have uploaded a screen grab of our council tax and of my vehicle registration documentation. Hopefully this will suffice. Be prepared for this not being an easy process!

Buy or renew your car?s parking permit

We have been unable to automatically verify your residency within Southwark Council. If you wish to amend the details and try again, click on the Back button. If you feel your details are correct, click the Next button to proceed.

Please note that until we have verified your residency you will only be able to purchase 1 month permits.

Section 1 of 7 - Personal details verification

Sorry, you do not have access to the web service product, please speak to your account manager.

Well done Southwark, what a good start!!

This whole scheme is run by the parking company so Southwark can basically wash their hands over any admin failures or complaints about how it is run - like when your address is not recognised online when trying to pay up so there can be a lapse of many days while this is checked up before payment is accepted!

By they way, newbies to the scheme should know there is no grace period -even over a weekend - when your permit falls due AND there is no obligation on the council or the parking company to provide an advance reminder that payment is due on a particular date. Private Eye ran a story a few weeks ago about this when a huge windfall came the company's (and council's?) way via this wheez in Ealing. The schemes are trumpeted as supporting residents but this shows this is not true - it's just easy-peasy money making and a new income stream for the council for something we paid for via local tax; why not just give residents a permit if it is to help parking?

As it is all the information about you and your vehicle/s and permits are held online by the parking company so they can issue fines pdq. Of course, this also means it shouldn't be a problem for them or the council to send an auto-alert to renew if you elect to have this. It would be good if the council could show support for their residents by forcing the company to do this. Oh, but then perhaps they don't care about having local support as much as a potential share of the extra cash.

Also failed to recognise me despite me adding my council tax account number. I work in IT, specifically in managing identity, and this pisspoor implementation really annoys me. Councils are absolutely dreadful at this sort of thing.

I'd be very careful about uploading any official documents to their cowboy parking partners, I'd advise blanking out any info that isn't absolutely necessary before you scan something. DEFINITELY don't upload your driving licence or a bank statement.

We had the same problem with our council tax account number as you did; it was not recognised - this was during the Xmas break and the advice is it takes something like a week -10 days to be sorted out. This was not reassuring with more fines in the air. And the way the web pages are set up really discourages challenging fines. I would just send an email first rather than follow any process described there.

Yeah, uploading official documents without judicious redaction is a definite a no-no.

I telephoned the Parking telephone line today with southwark council, and I must say I was not impressed with the service. After pushing a serious of options, I was connected eventually to a customer service officer, I explained the problem, he placed me on hold for ten minutes, and then the call was disconnected.

I then made another call to the council, and spoke to a different staff member. On this occasion, I am advised I need to open a online account and when asked why, i am told to prevent fraud. So open a online account, i am expected to scan and email the parking service proof that i live at the address (submitting the council tax account number when promoted for some reason, is not enough.

I am really concerned about emailing personal information to this organisation. I am told when this information is received, it takes a day for the council to look and verify the documentation. I am then told an account is open, and then I have to attempt again to make payment, I find the whole system confusing and long winded, i thought councils are meant to make things easy for residents, and not expect them to jump through hoops.

Still not impressed with southwark parking (these are my first experiences of this service) I really wish i was not being faulsed in a corner to deal with this service at all.

I got another email with a different passcode in, tried the original password and the new password, together with rthe scrambled numbers, and noithing. Is this normal???? Do I need to submit ID first? why is it so difficult to buy a paermit in southwark?

success, I have finally got in (i removed the full stop in the password I received). for everyones information, it asks the following:

Unverified account

Automatic name and address verification has failed: We automatically attempt to verify your residency, this sometimes does not work, we are sorry and are working on an improved system.As it has not worked you will need to upload photo?s or scans of documents, choose the option below.

Document uploads

Document uploads

Document upload form

To assist with verifying your personal details and residency, please attach a scan of one of the following documents as evidence.

Council Tax bill

Utility Bill

Bank Statement

Photo Card Driving licence

Please note, files can only be in JPG or PDF format and must be less than 1MB in size

So, getting closer to securing the ?125.00 virtual permit. I could not add my credit card details, something about a problem with there also, very stressed and frustrated with all this.

I am sorry you are having such a bad time. Given Southwark has been pushing this for years now you?d have thought they would have a system for permits that works? I?d speak to your Councillor asap.

Also concerning this has been farmed out a third party who seem to want lots of personal data?

I am now wondering if monitoring of parks parking will go to a third party too?

I posted this on another, related, thread, but I'm genuinely concerned that the amount of data being requested, and the inability apparently to process it, suggests genuine levels of incompetence which any half way competent hacker should be able to exploit.

If I was aiming to set up a system to skim data for identity theft, this is the system I would be setting up. Just how much trust do you have that Southwark is able to set up a hack-proof and secure data system. No, I thought not.

micromacromonkey - if enforcement doesn?t start and continue parking will start to go back to what it was once people learn they can park for free ? and they will

trinidad my understanding is the resident will need to buy a visitor permit for the visitor or the visitor can call and pay by phone.

Details on visitor permits https://www.southwark.gov.uk/parking/parking-permits/on-street-permits/visitor-s-parking-permits

Details on paying for parking by phone https://www.southwark.gov.uk/parking/find-somewhere-to-park/pay-for-parking?chapter=2&article

Thank you for letting me know how to pay for visitors Alywards, but to be honest, i am trying to sort myself out nwith getting a permit before 30th March. The letter received from southwark suggested you can buy a permit over the phone, but when you call, you bombarded with messages to go online to purchase your permit. The online system is not working for me at the moment, like most i presented my council tax bill account to the sign up stage, asnd yet i still need to produce more identity. Once i find this identity, i have to take it to work, scan it at work, send it to my personal email account, safe it, then attach it to the verification page, its all hassle i can live with out, and I then have to try and purchase the permit after. I just not impressed with southwarks poor computer and customer service systems.

I keep reading about this third party involvement, can anyone enlighten me further?

so yesterday i brought my driving licence to work with me, and scanned it to my work email. I then sent the scanned picture to my personal email. next i saved the scanned the picture onto my pc. I tried to log onto the parking account, but i could not get the site up, so i decided to email a copy of the driving licence to parking. will parking send me a acknowledgement or response? I am still no where near purchasing the permit, this service is rubbish

• 3 weeks later...
I hope everyone who has a vehicle has now purchased their parking permit? I notice the signs have now been uncovered, and operations for enforcement would commence on Monday 30th March. Please dont get a ticket, get your permit online asap.