Controlled Parking Zone - West Peckham

trinidad

I know that the EDF is in general averse to controlled parking but I and my neighbours love it, since it was introduced where we are the streets have been much less crowded and it's actually possible to park on your own road - even outside your own house! Something that rarely happened beforehand. I haven't had to do a visitor's permit for ages but it was no problem to arrange.

And I would dispute that dropping the kids to school by car is valid - given you have to live pretty close to your children's school I can't think of many good reasons why you wouldn't be walking them to school. Staff driving is something else, however...

I have plenty of issues with the council about their hatred of cars but this one I can totally see, and reap, the benefit of.

Oh dear Trinidad, are you really posting at 3am? You shouldn't let yourself lose sleep over this. Perhaps think of the charge as a way to provide the council with additional funds after 10 years of central government's budget restraints? Unlike some boroughs, Southwark has been able to keep our libraries open and maintain free school meals for primary children. It needs to get additional funds from somewhere and, with pressure to reduce air pollution, what better way than to follow the example of other boroughs, such as Lambeth, Wandsworth and Lewisham, and increase the number of CPZs? When I changed my car last year, the pending CPZ was one of the considerations, and I am delighted with the hybrid I have bought. If others also did this, it could make a big difference to the air pollution, don't you think?

As far as I understand the majority of residents on each road where it's being introduced, were in favour of its introduction.

On Choumert Road I can already notice the positive difference - I'm able to park my car fairly near my house after a trip out. Until a few weeks ago I frequently had to drive around the block 3 times to find a space; or park on a different road as there were no spaces- I don't mind a few minutes walk but it's difficult with a toddler plus multiple bags from daytrips/ shopping.

Yes I was posting at 3am, and i was not losing sleep at all, fare from it - not everyone works 9 - 5. itrs difficult to see my ?125.00 as a gift to Southwark, also you dont know my finances!!

One thing I do agree is the libraries are still open in the borough which is great, in fact over the last few years the council has even built to new ones which I think is only a positive thing. It feels the labour borough has a war on cars in the borough. I do feel about the pollution, but I feel strongly that most residents in the CPZ voted against the decision.

From what I understand from the communication from the borough, when residents were asked if they wanted a CPZ, the overwelming said no, but when residents were asked if they would consider a CPZ if there was a CPZ a few streets by, residents said yes, and it was the second datat that was used to secure the CPZ - very crafty

My understanding is, the council insisted on consulting on a street by street basis other than when this approach defeated their objective to get CPZ. For instance, Melbourne Grove taken as whole road was against CPZ, so the council decided to treat it as two separate roads with a north and south end, so it could get a majority in favour of CPZ from those living closest to the station. The aim was to get a domino effect where those streets closest to the station roads would vote in favour of CPZ and so on. The station roads were the catalyst the council needed to get CPZ started. Had ED being consulted as an area CPZ would not happen.

Possibly and therefore people in affected areas such as those living close to the train station would still be suffering.

There is definitely a domino effect but not necessarily started by Southwark, neighbouring boroughs also have CPZs which have had a knock on effect. I expect residents around Lordship Lane will soon be calling for a CPN once West Peckham & EDG parking restrictions are in full operation.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My understanding is, the council insisted on

> consulting on a street by street basis other than

> when this approach defeated their objective to get

> CPZ. For instance, Melbourne Grove taken as whole

> road was against CPZ, so the council decided to

> treat it as two separate roads with a north and

> south end, so it could get a majority in favour of

> CPZ from those living closest to the station. The

> aim was to get a domino effect where those streets

> closest to the station roads would vote in favour

> of CPZ and so on. The station roads were the

> catalyst the council needed to get CPZ started.

> Had ED being consulted as an area CPZ would not

> happen.

trinidad Wrote:

> From what I understand from the communication from

> the borough, when residents were asked if they

> wanted a CPZ, the overwelming said no, but when

> residents were asked if they would consider a CPZ

> if there was a CPZ a few streets by, residents

> said yes, and it was the second datat that was

> used to secure the CPZ - very crafty

I can understand why this question is asked - a lot of the consultations in last few years that have seen 'no' votes initially quickly turned to 'yes' votes when a CPZ was introduced nearby. Southwark found a lot of pressure to then introduce CPZs from residents who'd previously been opposed when the impact hit them.

now I think they know that partial introduction often leads to quick demands for wider ones, so to save money in ther long run they try to see if support would be there in those circumstances. Sensible use of public money to be honest, rather than paying twice to ask the same question.

"now I think they know that partial introduction often leads to quick demands for wider ones, so to save money in ther long run they try to see if support would be there in those circumstances. Sensible use of public money to be honest, rather than paying twice to ask the same question."

More to the point is if they manufacture parking chaos people will have no option but to demand a CPZ. Southwark's master plan to generate yet more money and fines.

trinidad - I live about 10 minutes from Peckham Rye station. We've had controlled parking for about 2 years. It was extraordinary how the streets emptied of cars once it was introduced, it appeared that nearly half the cars parked on our road did not belong to residents.

Obviously I would prefer not to have to pay for it but given the very obvious positive impact it has had I am happy to do so. I would have preferred it if our road could have been 12 - 2pm, rather than 8.30 - 6.30

However, I agree that Southwark do have a war on cars, the continued closure of the bridge on Camberwell Grove being a case in point (making Champion Hill one way is another) but I don't have an issue with this.

yes micromacro monkey finding it a massive improvement too. Sure will be even better when the zone starts on 30 March. Have any EDers noticed an increase in parking in their streets not least dreaded abandoned taxis?

oimissus - the council are responding to repeated consultation results showing strong support of residents (over 75%) for cutting congestion and air pollution and making it easier to walk and cycle. Certainly the area between Burgess Park and Peckham Road has recently been transformed by a CPZ. Of course someone who says they want improvements can also say they don't want to pay ?125 to park their car etc. But without credible alternatives it's clear the council is going in the right direction.

Once the CPZ is live we'll see how on many streets only a minority of households own a car and that will create momentum for greater change.

I cycle along Kelly Av, Commercial Way and Chandler Way daily and the recent CPZ there has made a huge positive difference. At the time I must admit I voted against controlled parking in SE22 but now I'm not so sure. It's a shame the council ask ?125 a year since there is a slight whiff of ulterior motive. If it were free for those who can demonstrate they are residents then bring it on!

Hey doogsey,

Enforcement of the CPZ commences on Monday 30th March 2020 with daily patrols from Enforcement Parking Officers. I am sure they will also ticket those who have a wheel on or over the white lines, I am sure there will be alot of tickets issues in the first week :(

On the ED zone i got in touch with the officer in charge when the plans came out and pointed out where there were errors. She said they would be updated but i'll wait and see. For issues such at that it should be checked witht he officer in charge - it will be on the details on the Southwark website. are you sure though that its not marked as a 'stop and rest' on the plans?

Huggers Wrote:

> I can see in Nutbrook street we are losing at

> least two parking spaces where they have deemed a

> kerb where there used to be a garage but there is

> now just a house extension, as a garage that

> needs access point......

Lewisham has just raised its ?120 a year charge for residents parking to ?140 (in a year). Southwark won't be far behind, I'm sure, as parking charges are not covered by any central controls. Those who voted for CPZs have just signed blank cheques in the council's name. And not just on their behalfs.