the vale pub - changes afoot

i think jah lush wins the prize for the first to get it - free pint for you.

the cherry tree is looking like the winner.

the vile has to go as does any irish references.

norman wisdomites most welcome, bernard manning, brakes bros definately not.

we are free from tie, so we will be stocking numerous ales from local micros.

i will speak to the reigate boys, thanks for that.

we will keep you all posted - many thanks for the positive input.

I am very disappointed with the Irish comment (Irish references have to go), what are we to expect a 'no dogs, no blacks, no irish' welcoming sign on the door? Not the best message to send out when you are trying to advertise a new business.

Good luck to new owners, Chris & Antonia - wishing you all the best.

PS Random question but can some longstanding ED-ers please tell me what the Vale was called in 1999/2000 please? when the Vale used to be called Harvey's please? Was it 1999/2000 ish by any chance? And across the road from the pub, was there a shop with a life-size, papier-mache model of Lara Croft outside? Thanks.

Good luck with your venture, my aunt runs a pub and I know how hard it can be. I am not much of a sports fan but a plea from my other half, put on the football with the commentary - he goes to the edt for football and ale but alas he never gets the full experience due to music being played instead of the commentary. Maybe not every game but perhaps a super Saturday/Sunday

I decent Sunday roast that doesn't break the bank wouldn't go a miss either.

Look forward to coming in for a beer or two

Great news, welcome and good luck with your new venture. Loving the idea of live music. Also, many moons back The Vale had DJ's at the weekend. East Dulwich seriously misses a place where you can bop away at a weekend.

Haven't had a decent Sunday roast in ED for a long long time. If you do, please can we have a proper veggie option with all the trimmings.

Looking forward to coming down for a drink or 2 as you are my local.

Please people, just relax....our man is just saying that the pub name won't be O'Neill's or something similar. If there's no Irish connection, why should it have an Irish name. Mr Harvey, you'll soon find out that being on this forum is more hassle than its worth.

Chris?s ?nothing Irish? comment was obviously his way of saying the new ownership have nothing to do with the (very) Irish owners of the Vale, rather than being an anti-Irish comment itself.

I?m quite excited by the potential for this place and wish them both the best of luck. It?s a big old space tho?, and filling it away from the main drag will take some imagination and flexibility. The Vale wasn?t popular, but it managed to be full on Saturday?s by dint of the fact that it showed live football. I?m not sure I would rule that option out completely

The previous incarnation as the Hamlet had old school split Lounge/Bar. I suspect that won?t be reinstated but some kind of partitioning might help ambiance-wise

When the main comedy venues at the EDT and the Mag were in full swing they were popular ? attempts to to the same in Nunhead haven?t been so successful, so maybe you could capitalise on that as well

The pub?s d?cor needs some warmth ? it has always felt a bit clinical in there. (altho last winter they started using the fireplace properly which helped that corner enormously)

Food-wise, have a look at all the other menus not just in ED but Lonodon generally ? and try to offer something a bit different than the risotto/burger/pizza/hummous monopoly. To be fair to the vale, I always thought their menu offered a decent alternative ? it?s not that it was done well, but they did offer an alternative

The garden area should be a draw as well ? but the old habit of piping muzak out there usually put me off

Plenty of potential tho?. And plenty of people live nearby who would like the option of going to the local pub instead of carrying on to the Lane?

Great news, looking forward to this pub fulfilling it's potential!

It would be great if you could keep at least one screen... the space works well for watching sport and I know a lot of people ED people would appreciate a nice pub that they can catch key games at.

Big thumbs up to live music and quiz nights!

Best of luck.

Quiz nights are not nessescary good for business..

Music needs to be turned off.

Everyone in the pub has to remain quiet.

And Quizzers tend to sit there all night nursing a pint / 1/2 pint and leave as soon as the quiz is over.

I saw this in the EDT. sat there for nearly an hour. the curtains were drawn to the back bar / Quiz.

Not one person came out during the quiz to top up.

Happens at the Clock House on quiz night.

I have attende quizzes at the Grove years ago and I know my self it is a good way to make a pint last an hour

or more.

Fox.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But they have the quizzes on their quiet night.

> Its a way of getting some extra business.

But it's quiet because non quizzers stay away and the quizzers do not spend any money..

The Bishop/ Actress do not have quizzes and they make money.

Fox.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nah. Just Ask Pubs like the Clock what their

> numbers are like when they don't have quizzes on

> Tuesday Like I did.

Funny that pubs have quizzes on different nights.

Tuesday/ Wednesday/ Thursday.

Surely a quiet night is a quiet night. Not diferent in every pub.

If Thursday is a quiet night, why does The Great Exhibition want a late night extention.

Fox

Wow - free of tie. You lucky things. That means you could actually turn a profit.

Micro-brewery beers would be amazing. Only the Draft House serves genuinely interesting beer locally so if you go down that path it might well draw in the punters. I'm sure you know plenty so won't recommend any.

And I guess that means you're free to do what you want with food too. Fingers crossed.

SJ's suggestion of some partitioning is spot on. Too many pubs become souless aircraft hangers if they aren't full because of huge open spaces. In Winter it also means heating is easier and cheaper. An old-school saloon/lounge divide would be great.

Very pleased to hear all your news. Best of luck.