the vale pub - changes afoot

we currently have a quiz (tues) at our existing pub which proves to be one of our busiest nights of the week.

i think you both can be right, like everything it's getting the balance right.

our current quiz is an hour and 15 mins of general hilarity ending with a boisterous bingo, enjoyed by quizzers and non quizzers alike - we don't tend to take such things too seriously - i hate formal quizzes.

basically nothing is set in stone, the pub will evolve and develop naturally, not in a forced manner, we'll see what fits when we're in.

same applies on the sports front, we will definately be keeping one screen.

chrisharvey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> we currently have a quiz (tues) at our existing

> pub which proves to be one of our busiest nights

> of the week.

> i think you both can be right, like everything

> it's getting the balance right.

> our current quiz is an hour and 15 mins of general

> hilarity ending with a boisterous bingo, enjoyed

> by quizzers and non quizzers alike - we don't tend

> to take such things too seriously - i hate formal

> quizzes.

> basically nothing is set in stone, the pub will

> evolve and develop naturally, not in a forced

> manner, we'll see what fits when we're in.

> same applies on the sports front, we will

> definately be keeping one screen.

Very Reasonable Comments..

There is space for a bit of everything..

As long as it does not become too Themed..

With your love of Real Ale it will be Refreshing to get a decent Pint.

Other pubs in the area have no Idea how to keep it.

Fox CAMRA Member .

currently managing the ship in kennington for some old friends.

it was particularly poor and has now become a little gem.

unfortunately the kitchen was already franchised out before we got there, so completely out of our control.

we leaving that to come and do the the vale (the cherry tree) so not backup - 100% commitment.

keep the food suggestions coming, much appreciated - all i can say for sure is there will be plenty of veggie options.

Straferjack wrote:

----------------

"Chris?s ?nothing Irish? comment was obviously his way of saying the new ownership have nothing to do with the (very) Irish owners of the Vale, rather than being an anti-Irish comment itself."

I must say I couldn't conclude that the meaning of his comment was obvious or funny. I didn't know what he meant one way or the other. Given the subsequent comments neither did anyone else apart from a couple of guesses like your's SJ.

Anyway, what do you mean '(very)Irish'? Are there degrees of it I should know about?

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Otta: "Big bowls of beef stew with mash would be

> nice."

>

> this times 100. Don't know why more places don't

> have something easy like this

I'd agree with this. In fact, something like mash WITH CABBAGE would be great - I know, how about Colcannon!

No idea why more places don't have easy dishes like this, especially in East Dulwich ;-)

Come on Alan, it's not difficult to see this one

conversation fell to pub names

I suggested the Irish habit of owner's name (McDaids for example)

new owner (who has been at pains to point out how removed he is from the previous - and obviously unpopular - owners) cheekily distanced himself from my suggestion

I said (very) irish because... well they were. it wasn't just an irish manager, there was a whole murphia in the far corner which even to an irishman like me, seemed a bit offputting

It would take malice to see anything untoward in the new owner's comments

regards to pub quizzes - I used to go to a very successful on a Wednesday night in my home town, the pub would be packed out with regular teams, everyone made a night of it and bought drinks and dinner there so they made lots of money. the key was the questions weren't too difficult or too easy, interesting rounds, a free raffle whereby you won a box of chocolates and it didn't end too late for a school night. plus a decent quiz master - fair, not too serious but also not over the top and thought he was the star of the show.

Jesus. I hope the new owners don?t listen to any of you lot, you wouldn?t know a good time if it slapped you in the face. Oooo lets have a pub quiz and Irish stew!! Ooooooo!

Horrendous suggestions, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ANY NOTICE OF THEM.

sorry halfpenny you have to tell us more - what do you know that is different

The new owner was asked directly on page 1

"Will the old management have any involvement? "

to which the reply came:

Posted by chrisharvey August 06, 10:03PM

No - we're all new (and shinny)

we actually like people - you will be treated accordingly

-------

which re-reading it, is specifically about management rather than ownership. So I'm not saying you are wrong. I'd like to know more tho

If this is just yet another new manager promising everything but with his hands tied... hmmm. As someone wrote about the Vale back in 2008, when similar promises were made

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,90434,99041#msg-99041