Totem Pole in Peckham Rye

Yes it would of been commissioned around 2014.

I remember the tree stump and was skeptical at the ?10,000 price tag (as I remember) to create the Totem Pole.

It was Boarded up for many Months whilst the Artist worked on the project.

I was actually impressed with the result after it was finished.

DulwichFox.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> yeah I was at opening too, good use of a dead

> tree.

So was I, and spoke to the artist, but was a bit embarrassed as truth be told I don't like it much 😶

The real story is way better. A dead tree stump was turned into an art piece that people can enjoy/ debate forever. Granted it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but anything is better than a dead tree stump that eventually gets removed for being just a dead tree stump. The only alternative was perhaps a new sapling in its place. Personally, I like the quirky totem pole ;)

Treehugger2 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't really like it artistically, but at the

> same time I think it's fab that it was made and

> that it's there. And in that sense I love it!

My feelings exactly.

I remember the guy who did it expected to be finished in a couple of weeks, but it took the best part of a year, as it was riddled with nails from decades of posters being attached. Poor bloke spent more time resharpening his chisels than actually chiselling.

• 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Member  4.7k Posted Sunday at 22: Member  4.7k Posted Sunday at 22:35 Can someone please explain who "Clean Air Dulwich" are?  Can someone please explain who "one Dulwich" are?
    • FredMarsh, I sympathise with you. I suspect the coral fencing at the entrance is to prevent people legging it out of store with unpaid for goods in hand. It does feel a bit like herding cattle as you describe it. Perhaps the reduction in customers is a response to this and the lack of previously available services.  I find self check out is quicker if I do it myself and since the new self service points have been installed the screens work much better as they are as of today still newish. The old ones were "knackered" and continued to regularly fail.  I had to buy some whisky as a present for someone yesterday, the Sainsbury staff took it away, removed the security tags and returned it, so that all went simply.  Unfortunately the days of what was the original Sainsburys in Peckham and Forest Hill are long gone, as are many of the old shops I remember from the mid 70's, i.e. Kennedy's. The world continually changes and as we get older we have to keep up.  I saw something really sad in Peckham yesterday, a very, very old woman walking down Hanover Park by Primark on the corner with Rye Lane, bent almost half over, pushing her own four wheel trolley along, taking her time.  Made me  realise how lucky I am.   Yes, checking the receipt to make sure Nectar has been applied is always worth doing. Ditto Tesco Old Kent Road this week were what the label of the stack of fruit said one price and even with the Tesco card, the price at checkout was different, that resulted in photo's and it still being checked by Customer Service...... As for "Sainsburys always being horrible", I have to disagree with you on that. 
    • One Dulwich   Campaign Update | 3 May Parliament debates LTNs – please fill in the questionnaire by 6 May Parliament will debate two petitions – “Carry out an independent review into Low Traffic Neighbourhoods” and “Exempt Blue Badge drivers from Low Traffic Neighbourhoods” – at 4.30 pm on Monday 20 May in the Grand Committee Room above Westminster Hall. Please fill in this short questionnaire about your experience of the Dulwich LTNs, as your comments will help to inform the debate. The deadline for this is very soon – 10am on Monday 6 May. We have written to our MP Helen Hayes, pointing out that her constituents represent the second highest number of those who requested both petitions, and asking her to take part in the debate in order to represent the two-thirds majority of people living and working in Dulwich who asked for the Dulwich LTNs to be reconsidered. Because these petitions are directed at Parliament, not Southwark Council, we hope that Helen Hayes will speak up for her constituents on this occasion. You might want to encourage her to take part by emailing her at [email protected]. We have also reminded her that a group of Blue Badge holders have petitioned the Leader of Southwark Council to be allowed through the Dulwich Village junction because of the daily difficulties, distress and – in some cases – severe pain suffered by disabled and other vulnerable car-dependent constituents who are now forced to take long and circuitous detours in stop-start traffic along boundary roads. You can watch the debate – and, we hope, our MP representing our interests – on Parliament tv, or you can attend in person. Thank you for your support. The One Dulwich Team  SUPPORT ONE DULWICH 
    • Yeah, that’s not my point. I explained that the locale is in unpleasant and uncared for, not the businesses (which I called “valiant” so you could deduce I was not against them at all but maybe you didn’t see that.  I think they need support from the council in the shape of a sprucing up). 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In