Should we get a Bugaboo Bee or Chameleon? (Or something entirely different?!)

devsdev

I love my cameleon, used the carrycot section as a travel cot in the early days and eliminated the need for a Moses basket downstairs at home, we wheeled between rooms a required when baby was little. Never ad any problems with accessing public transport either, really happy with the seat section too, he sits really nicely in it and always looks really comfy.... However one aspect. Had never considered is that he will start nursery next week and there isn't enough room in the buggy shed for the cameleon hence we are going to have to use a Maclaren or something similar. We have a Maclaren for holidays which I hate, it's hard to push compared to the bugaboo, the one handle of the bugaboo is great, he doesn't st so well in the Maclaren etc etc so now I'm considering buying a bee second hand as realistically we will be using it ever day....

I had the cameleon for a while, lugged it many times p and down Peckham rye station steps. It was fine unil one day the place where the handle meets th strut underneath the seat unit started 'slipping' as if the handle was going to be moved into the other position to push it big wheels first ( well I know what I mean..)

I don't think it is designed to withstand that movement and the stress it causes at that point of the pram.

I've got a vibe now with my two and the only thing I would change is the width for going on buses as I usually go on the back to avoid getting stuck. I've had to be rescued a couple of times...

If you really want a bugaboo then get one and enjoy :0)

We had a similar issue a couple of times with the handle of our Bugaboo Gecko. It happened during a period when I was often switching between the forward and backward handle settings. Hubbie had a look, removed some fluff, and clicked the handle firmly in and out of both positions a couple of times. It was fine after that. It's probably something to watchout for on any buggy of similar design. Also I think no matter what buggy/pram you choose, you should keep an open mind about needing to buy a different one later b/c circumstances can change even if it seemed at the time that you bought the most comprehensive buggy ever.

• 2 weeks later...
We got the iCandy Cherry (second hand) precisely because it was a good compromise between the Bugaboo Bee and the Chameleon. It has the features of the Chameleon, but it's narrower. The other half wouldn't consider the Bee because the wheels looked too flimsey and he was convinced we needed more off-road capability. Not convinced about that but it was certainly useful to have the carrycot - we used it instead of a moses basket on trips away early on.

We ordered the Bee+ finally. In the end the single unit folding and the weight swung it. Though hopefuly HOP station will have a lift soon and I won't have to carry the pram up and down stairs!

Agree the wheels seem a bit flimsy, but they've survived well on my sister-in-law's Bee (not the plus) even over cobblestones in Italy. They had the problematic old wheels, but was fixed last month with the free bits supplied by Bugaboo.

Re: the Pebble - it does fit the Bee because we've been lent this by my sis-in-law. But you need the adapters which are about ?30 and available on Amazon etc. as well as JL.