stefarron

KikiMac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> monniemae Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I used to recommend the Gardens though had a

> > couple of bad experiences. I highly recommend

> > Nunhead Grove Surgery particularly Dr Ackland.

>

>

> Totally agree, Dr Ackland (apparently she is

> actually the daughter of Joss Ackland!) is just

> lovely. Dr Iu also great, though a man. But the

> whole surgery, esp the receptionists, is second to

> none. Appointments usually the same day, no

> questions, they are efficient, cheerful and

> helpful. Pretty unusual!

Another recommendation for Dr. Ackland. She's fantastic.

Same problems here. It has been impossible to get an appointment with them. Several times I had to wait on the phone line for more than 15 minutes to be told there are no appointments available. Even for the nurse I had to wait 1 month. I don't understand why they were advertising for new patients lately if obviously they can not cope.

ska valley Wrote:

> Same problems here. It has been impossible to get

> an appointment with them. Several times I had to

> wait on the phone line for more than 15 minutes to

> be told there are no appointments available. Even

> for the nurse I had to wait 1 month. I don't

> understand why they were advertising for new

> patients lately if obviously they can not cope.

which surgery are you referring to?

Growlybear Wrote:

> I can't recommend the Forest Hill Road Group

> Practice highly enough. Dr McColl is particularly

> wonderful, but all the doctors there are

> excellent. I've been with the practice for about

> 35 years, and have never had any complaints, but

> since I had a serious illness last year, the

> treatment I've had from everyone there has been

> absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately I cannot agree with this. I find the Forest Hill Road Surgery useless.

If you are fortunate enough to have a job, it is impossible to get an appointment within 2 weeks. If it is urgent, you can call on the day to see if they can fit you in, but that's not much good if you have to make arrangements for cover at work.

I have NEVER seen the same member of staff twice except the grumpy receptionists who consider it their role to ration primary health care. I do not remember being seen by anyone other than locums.

I have always had to wait for my appointment even it it has been at the beginning of the surgery.

They NEVER follow up on test results without constant prodding.

I am in the process of looking for a better service if one exists locally.

And they charge you for phoning them (which is contrary to NHS guildlines)

• 3 months later...
I agree regarding Dr Cliffe. Have been thinking of changing and going to Forest Hill Road even though the Gardens is just round the corner to me and I been going there 20 years!! Am not sure why I always see her too? She is a rollercoaster of emotions sometimes and can be very rude and patronising. She listens but other times I leave the surgery exhausted and deflated and with lower confidence with no action plan for my journey.

Hi, I have been with Dr Cliffe at The Gardens for ages, and she's great. Dr Steven's is also really nice as well.

I agree with the comment about Dr Tran - slightly odd character.

Some of the Receptionists are nice - some a little brutal!

The Gardens surgery is great as you can park in the square, the nearest chemist though is a bus ride or 15 minute walk.

I'd avoid trying to get an appointment at the Melbourne Grove surgery. I've been with them for years, and the service/care isn't bad, but just try getting through on the phone.

I called this afternoon, and after a few minutes of the usual merry dance of "Call busy" / try again / "call busy" / try again that usually happens when you call them, I finally got through to an automated message which told me I was in a queue - number 3. Fine. Ten minutes later, I reached number 1, and then the phone started to ring. And ring. And ring.

It's a slow day at work, so I let it carry on - just a ringing tone for ten minutes, with no sign of life on the other side. After a total of 25 minutes on hold, I hung up, and tried again. "Call busy". Total time wasted: about half an hour, to get nowhere at all.

Useless.

Another recommendation for the Gardens. We've only been in the area a few months, but I've seen three of the four doctors there (Addo, Cliffe and Tran) and found all of them approachable, friendly and conscientious. Ditto the nurses. And - in my experience, at least - if you really need an appointment, you can usually get one without too much delay.

Having recommended DMC Chadwick Road some while ago, unfortunately something has gone terribly wrong recently. Such a shame. It has become virtually impossible to book an appointment as you can no longer book ahead (ie medical condition you want to get checked out but not urgent). You have to call on the day then will be called back and triaged, at which point I guess they decide whether or not to give you an appointment. As I work this is completely impractical - I am in an open plan office with private space to discuss medical matters not always available,and maybe in a meeting when I get the call. If I was to be rewarded with a precious appointment, I can't be running back and forth between work and the surgery all day. I voted with my feet and left. Can't yet comment on my new practice as I haven't needed to make an appointment, but as I understand they've had lots of new registrations from ex-dmc patients recently.

I have seen all the Drs at The Gardens and I love Dr. Tran's off beat humour. Saw Dr. Cliffe last week and she was very helpful and sent off for a KCH appointment for my painful foot. Dr. Cliffe is also hubby's GP so I could fill her in on the bits that my husband does not tell her .

I have a good relationship with Liz the nurse who does all my diabetic checks. The other nurse is also very pleasant. Most of the receptionist staff call me by my first name as I have been around for a long time. Surgery is very well clued up on mental health issues and since hubby is bipolar I rely on them a lot for their expertise.

Not always easy to get an appointment but they do early mornings (8 I think is the earliest) and late evenings.

• 2 weeks later...

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> I'm registered at the Dulwich Medical Centre. I

> wouldn't recommend them at all..It's always

> awkward getting an appointment. Having failed to

> get an appointment this week and then being told

> that I can't see a practice nurse until November

> I've decided to ditch them and seek another GP.

Weve been with DMC for 17 years..gone downhill over the last few years and now virtually impossible to get an appointment. My 21 year old changed to The Gardens recently and think the rest of the family will probably follow.