Anyone familiar with Dorset/ Chesil Beach area?

Hi. I am going on holiday to Portland in Dorset at the weekend for a week. I have never been to the area and wondered if anybody had any tips. We are keen to avoid the very busy beaches and some attractions are closed anyway. We have ten year old boys and young teen girls so this could be a little tricky.Any good beaches for rock pooling or any tips in general would be great. Also looking to see if there is anywhere nice other than a service station to stop en route around the half way mark. Thankyou in advance. ? looking for recommendations.

Portland Bill - climb Pulpit rock

Castle Cove beach

Chesil beach (not for swimming)

Tyneham Village - evacuated during WW2

Ringstead beach

Weymouth harbour-side for crabbing. The roads are closed during the day and there's now more space.

Lulworth Cove and Durdle door

Monkey World

Nothe fort

Radipole lake bird watching

Get wet...hire SUP, canoe, coasteering, windsurf course

Do your own research to check what's open and possible constraints.

Graham

Church Ope beach Portland (amazing - although watch the tide/riptides)

Preston beach east of RSPB Lodmoor - much quieter than Weymouth etc. Park car in turn off part way along Preston Road and just hoik over the sea wall. Pebble beach with sand by seas edge/in sea not really known/used by visitors. Used to be lots of brambles for blackberrying along the path on way back to car.

hP

GrahamP Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Portland Bill - climb Pulpit rock

> Castle Cove beach

> Chesil beach (not for swimming)

> Tyneham Village - evacuated during WW2

> Ringstead beach

> Weymouth harbour-side for crabbing. The roads are

> closed during the day and there's now more space.

> Lulworth Cove and Durdle door

> Monkey World

> Nothe fort

> Radipole lake bird watching

> Get wet...hire SUP, canoe, coasteering, windsurf

> course

>

> Do your own research to check what's open and

> possible constraints.

>

> Graham

Assuming you mean the Castle Cove in Weymouth, I believe the beach can no longer be reached apart from by boat?

Last time I was in Weymouth, a few years back, the cliff had fallen and the path from the road to the beach had gone with it.

It would be great if they've repaired it. I have fond memories of it from my childhood, and my mum was brought up very near there (according to her, she and her friends used to climb around the castle and walk along the top of it - health and safety, eh!)

Lulworth Cove/Durdle Door is likely to be rammed, as it was one of the areas there were problems with shortly after the lockdown ended.

Upwey Wishing Well (not in any way a naff one) has a fantastic garden and a nice little cafe with tea and cakes, but it may not be open under current circumstances (plus maybe your children are not interested in wishing wells and gardens!)

Sorry, I guess none of that is terribly helpful.

There used to be a great little museum in Portland, don't know whether it's still there, with fossilised trees etc, however - again - it may be closed at the moment due to its size (small).

ETA: The Swannery at Abbotsbury is interesting, though I guess this year's cygnets will be grown, but again it may be closed. There is also an eighteenth century subtropical garden in Abbotsbury.

Don't know whether they go from Portland, but fishing trips or other boat trips from Weymouth? Again, don't know if they'll be running though .....

Further along the coast is Charmouth and this is a great beach for fossil hunting. not sure how busy the beach will be but possibly the stony beaches will be less busy. West bay is lovely but likely very busy. Corfe castle, near Studland is a fantastic day out but again, may not be open with Current restrictions.

Around the beach at Burton Bradstock which is East of Westbay there are a lot of fishermen in the evenings btw.

Also Tyneham village still has it's original look (old school house, children's books etc)and it is in the middle of the M.O.D ranges (that's why it was not inhabited) which are only open after 31st July for the holidays. And there is the Fossil Forest further on also in the Ranges which you can access by walking up from Lulworth Cove.

Osmington Mills is a great beach for rock pooling, snorkelling and fossil finding - and there's a nice pub nearby called the Smuggler's Inn which has lots of outdoor space.

Corfe Castle is always fun, Studland beach is worth the drive and paying to get in to if you don't have National Trust membership.

You can go mackerel fishing from Weymouth - that'd be fun with kids.

We just came back from there today and it is a nice break, town centre is a bit run down (as most are) but the overall area is nice,

The mini golf was fun, lots of good fish and chip shops, Billy Winters beachside restaurant/bar was really good (but a little pricey)there was plenty to do, we were there for a week, our kids are 10 & 7 and they enjoyed it so I'm sure yours will.

• 2 weeks later...