Scotland - Independence Referundum

Marmora Man

Haha KirstyH, quite happy to argue at any level. Just offering a bit of the highland romance in favour of Britishness.

There seems to have been a monopoly on romance from the 'Yes' team of late - it won't hurt you to feel a bit of the passion from the British now the referendum is over.

Don't be churlish!

Ultimately it's all a bit depressing to be honest, already I see "englishness" emerging, and pretty (frighteningly) quickly, as a political entity rather than a cultural entity - which is pretty unprecedented and speaks to small mindness and insularity which is, despite SJ's claims, what the SNP stands for and why it's emotionally the same as UKIP (not policy wise etc just emotionally).

The only difference is in the real world English self interest will be a lot stronger given the strength of London globally, our size advantage, our demographic profile, our openness to immigration and our less reliance on the state. As a proud englishman I preferred it when we were Britain like before but there's a bit of me that's now thinking no Fuck why should we continue to subsidise the welsh/scots...the fooking cornish when they blame us for everything...that's insular small mindeness creeping out and I didn't think it 4 weeks ago. Well done Alex Salmond, well done the SNP.

To be fair to the Cornish, I don't think any of them would for a second consider independence, and I think they're aware that only something like 8 people speak the lingo.

In fact thinking about it, weren't they a hotbed of loyal royalism in the civil war?

They're just figuring, if everyone else is at it we have a claim....

I have to, every year. My missus is Cornish by birth and family but left at about 7 and carries none of 'their' baggage. It's a night for generalisations, I've become a small minded englishman, so here I go - They blame outsiders ('north country") for everything - bad driving, litter on the floor, any crime, Seriously anything (probably the weather). I suspect that cornish wife basher who gouged his wife's eyes out was really an English plant. The most chippy, insular, moony bunch of w*nkers in the British Ilses - and that includes the fooking welsh.

There's even a monument to 'cornish freedom fighters' in Falmouth, with no Fookers name on it naturally as none of the tossers have done anything about 'freedom fighting' other than sitting in the pub blaming the English.

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To be fair to the Cornish, I don't think any of

> them would for a second consider independence, and

> I think they're aware that only something like 8

> people speak the lingo.

> In fact thinking about it, weren't they a hotbed

> of loyal royalism in the civil war?

>

> They're just figuring, if everyone else is at it

> we have a claim....

"loyal royalism" - try saying that after an evening in the grape & grain.....

Crikey - did my post from 7pm get 'moderated' out again???

It wasn't rude or insulting - it was addressing the flaws in the independence arguments.

I've kept a copy and run it past a couple of mates here, no one can identify a problem with it.

What exactly was wrong with it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ah all quiet at the border now, blood pressure down. But this might be interesting - posted today on OpenDemocracy - English Reflections on the Scottish Referendum, by an English woman giving her own view of why many English probably didn't clock what was going on.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/beth-kahn/looking-through-distorted-window-english-reflections-on-scottish-referendum